Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 03:52 PM

67 posts, read 124,571 times

Advertisements

I found Bristol to be a lovely place. Warren seemed nice too, although not as quaint as Bristol.

I looked at a couple of apartments, one was really a mess. The other was ok, but a bit expensive for my budget and not that great. I also talked with a couple of real estate agents ...first about rentals, and also about the idea of buying.

Does anyone have any input on short sales? gone this route as a buyer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 PM

9,212 posts, read 14,763,261 times
If you can find a good short sale- go for it- no reason not to. Bristol real estate is holding its own and doing pretty well, so I don't know how much of a selection of short sales you'd even find. The town has received much national attention for its "oldest 4th of July parade" and gets many tourists. I guess what I'm saying is that it's hardly undiscovered- it's a beautiful historic place with a real hometown feel.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 PM

583 posts, read 1,319,502 times
I've heard short sales just take long and are more of a process

Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 PM

102 posts, read 391,592 times
The short sale process can take six months or even longer because the banks are overwhelmed with properties they are trying to unload. You should get approvals for financing for yourself and send copies of your approval letter along with your purchase offer to help move things along. IMO, it wouldn't help to be too independent with the bank which must approve the short sale, but don't obligate yourself to be left swinging in the wind while the bank committee dilly-dalys. Insist on including a clause that time is of the essence and the buyer requires acceptance of the offer within 60 days or you will withdraw the offer.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:20 PM

67 posts, read 124,571 times
Thank you! That makes sense and good to know. There are quite a few out there on the market.

Regarding the other part of my OP, although Bristol is SO lovely, I don't think I'm realistically going to find something in my price range (200K to not put myself in a high-pressure situation). Although I do think about investment with property, I think the most important thing is to: find a place I want to live.

I think what makes it hard "out here" (as opposed to Nebraska) to find that place I want to live is that: 1) I simply don't know the area and it takes time. I won't have the luxury of renting in all the towns I would consider buying in, so it makes it hard to feel secure/certain about my choices 2) There are so many really good options. So many nice places. 3) Each town has its own stuff going on, good and bad. It's hard to sort all of this out and feel my decision is informed. 4) What I can get for my money. I wonder if I'll be able to even find a place I want to live with my budget.

...ramblings

Old 07-22-2011, 06:11 AM

You'll have a better chance of finding a place within your budget if you stay away from coastal towns and look into the rural part of western RI as was previously discussed. You said you wanted some land.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 AM

583 posts, read 1,319,502 times
Yeah but, the OP works in Taunton, which would be a pain to cross Providence as a commute.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Then add northern RI rural areas- Burrillville, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island