Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 PM

29 posts, read 59,498 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to Providence in Sept for a job. I know the armory district area has been covered in these boards, but the general consensus seems to be that the area is a pretty mixed bag so I wanted to run a specific cross street past you guys where I am thinking of renting-- on wood st. near messer (is that the armory district or the west end? or are they the same?)

I'm moving from the midwest and can't really come out early to check out the area ahead of time, so I'm hoping you guys can give me a feel for whether I'd be okay with the neighborhood. I have a pretty decent comfort level with 'urban' living-- I've lived in Chicago for a few years in a working class immigrant neighborhood with a fair amount of gang activity but other than that it was mostly just families with kids and a pretty good sense of community, with lots of businesses and not too many vacant houses. I liked it a lot. I worked, on the other hand, in an area with a very high crime rate (like, one of the highest in the city) and I definitely wouldn't have wanted to live there. I wouldn't have felt safe walking around after dark, the houses were mostly run down and vacant, and I would have had to go three miles for any kind of business beyond the liquor store.

From the way people describe the armory district I can't get a feel about which kind of neighborhood it is, specifically near wood and messer. I'm 23 and female if that figures into your response. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Don't do it. As a 23 yr old female you need a good safe neighborhood.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Hollytree, I appreciate your answer but I'm really looking for more elaboration if someone knows the neighborhood well. I've heard very conflicting things and most of the negative has been from posts to this board that don't offer any explanation.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:36 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,680 times
While I'm not completely knowledgeable with the whole neighborhood, the Armory isn't a large area, and borders some rougher parts of the city, with abandoned houses, but there are artists, young people, and professionals that do live there, including my co-worker and I've never heard a thing. I wouldn't feel comfortable walking alone at night, regularly, anywhere. More so there. If have parking on the premises, a 2nd floor unit, and a secure bldg should be ok. There are better bargains though.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 AM

7 posts, read 20,785 times
Ah, just around the corner from the hell's angels' compound! Yes, even the hells angels need to have a fortified compound, and it is not to repel the mongols or popo. Or the car jacking of a lady and her toddler at the gas station on Cranston st 3/4s of a mile from wood and messr. Is that specific enough of why that area is horrible? Seriously, no es bueno!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 AM

605 posts, read 1,093,043 times
with no friends...you'll need a CCW permit. Also self defense classes wouldn't hurt.
Your not in Kansas anymore dear...

Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
I don't know there area as well as some of the people here, but I looked at both the Armory and the East side when I moved to Providence and ended up on the East Side. I liked the Armory and I've lived in worse neighborhoods without any problems. I drove around at night a few times and there wasn't a ton of people out. Walkability wasn't great. There are some restaurants that you can walk to, but I'm wasn't sure how I would feel about walking half a mile home afterward. I'm older than you and I felt like I would have been one of the younger people in the neighborhood. There isn't a grocery store that I felt I could walk to. If I was going to buy a house, I'd probably strongly consider buying one there, it seems like there is a good group of people committed to making the area better and I think it will get there, but I'd rather rent elsewhere in the meantime.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
Your not in Kansas anymore dear...
actually, by crime index i believe providence will be tied for the safest city I've ever lived in.

Snark aside, thanks to everyone who gave me some more details about the neighborhood! I'm still checking the thread if anyone else has input. I've compared some crime ratings between the armory district and some of the other neighborhoods I've (happily) lived in and found that they were pretty comparable, so I'm still kind of sitting on the fence right now trying to get a feel for it because crime rankings don't tell the whole story about what the feel of the neighborhood is.

Last edited by geegollygosh; 08-10-2011 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 01:52 PM

7 posts, read 20,785 times
I would be surprised if where you previously lived had higher property crime rates than the west end. I just quickly checked Chicago crime stats, and they are slightly lower than prov. I also wouldn't rely on stats given by the providence police dept in the past 10 years. Interesting sidebar; the family carjacked at the closest gas station to that area last week was from Chicago.

No offense, but is this some sort of "urban pioneer" "I can make it in a tough neighborhood" thing? Because even the hipsters are more concentrated north east of there. And not to venture off into too much of a non-pc direction, but even if you are not a gringo, it is really not an area where you can walk down to the store/bus stop on Cranston street after dark, jog over to the cranston bike path after work, etc. I think the area looks very nice on google maps, "ethnic" restaurants, beautiful Victorian houses, etc. The east side is a much better area though. Anyway good luck, if you move there maybe the hells angels will rent out a space in their garage inside their compound if your place doesn't have parking. They will probably be a more visible presence than the pd.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD467 View Post
I would be surprised if where you previously lived had higher property crime rates than the west end. I just quickly checked Chicago crime stats, and they are slightly lower than prov. I also wouldn't rely on stats given by the providence police dept in the past 10 years. Interesting sidebar; the family carjacked at the closest gas station to that area last week was from Chicago.

No offense, but is this some sort of "urban pioneer" "I can make it in a tough neighborhood" thing? Because even the hipsters are more concentrated north east of there. And not to venture off into too much of a non-pc direction, but even if you are not a gringo, it is really not an area where you can walk down to the store/bus stop on Cranston street after dark, jog over to the cranston bike path after work, etc. I think the area looks very nice on google maps, "ethnic" restaurants, beautiful Victorian houses, etc. The east side is a much better area though. Anyway good luck, if you move there maybe the hells angels will rent out a space in their garage inside their compound if your place doesn't have parking. They will probably be a more visible presence than the pd.
Comparing neighborhood to neighborhood they're pretty similar to several places I've lived in chicago and cincinnati. but honestly, I was just being snarky-- even if the crime indexes are the same, it's totally possible that crime in the west end is random and senseless while crime in other neighborhoods I've lived in is concentrated around gangs or other specific factors and therefore wouldn't effect me as much-- that's what this thread is for... to feel that out.

Anyway, I know I'm coming off with an obnoxious attitude, but honestly this really isn't a 'i'm tough enough' thing, I'm just trying to push people to give me more details than "carry a gun" because that's totally unhelpful.

Your second response had some of the details I was hoping to get when I posted the thread, thanks. I'm fine with people being negative, I just want them to give me a feel for the neighborhood as they do it (like beth98 did).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island