Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 AM

19 posts, read 38,931 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am buying my 1st home this summer and was looking at possible towns... I think I like Coventry due to the fact that you can get a lot more bang for your buck, the problem is I had 3 pple tell me that it is slummy... How true is this? And what other alternatives are there... I am looking for something affordable (under 200K), w/ a good school district... my husband is working in Warwick and I am working in Cranston.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,063,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapefruit22 View Post
Hi, I am buying my 1st home this summer and was looking at possible towns... I think I like Coventry due to the fact that you can get a lot more bang for your buck, the problem is I had 3 pple tell me that it is slummy... How true is this? And what other alternatives are there... I am looking for something affordable (under 200K), w/ a good school district... my husband is working in Warwick and I am working in Cranston.

Thanks!
Coventry is a tale of two towns. The eastern part(closer to West Warwick) is more urban than the western end of Coventry. The western end runs from suburban to rural. Outside of some main streets that have a few multi families and retail business, IMHO Coventry is a nice place to live. It is not upscale by any means. Route 3 tends to be tacky with a few box stores, small restaurants, auto repair, etc. But you won't live there. In today's market you can probably find a pretty good home for just under $200,000, but probably not into western Coventry along 117/102. Try around Route 116 or even Route 3 near Lake Tiogue or Lake Mishnock.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 AM

Thanks for your response/advice!!! I am from Providence so anything is an upgrade from there... and my husband is from Smithfield so he thinks Coventry is a downgrade... but we don't know much about the town... I guess we will just have to drive around the town to get a feel for it. Thanks so much!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,271,176 times
Who the heck considers Coventry slummy? LOL... some people are too much. What do those people think of Central Falls?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 AM

Yeah... now we are currently renting in the Elmhurst section of Providence and my MIL referred to it as a war zone. lol

Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 AM

270 posts, read 734,421 times
I grew up in Coventry....more central than western, but right off of Rt. 3 between Central and Western Fire Departments.

I'd say most of Coventry from Central FD west is really really nice. But as you drive closer to the east side of the town, it becomes more and more "slummy." Truly though...most of Coventry is quite nice. It's conveniently located too.

It's been awhile since I've researched homes in that area of RI, but I'm not sure you'll find something under 200k in a part of town you'd consider "nice."

Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 AM

564 posts, read 1,885,851 times
As said above, only a small area near West Warwick, maybe a small neighborhood near Lake Tiogue... if you drive around and look it's pretty obvious what neighborhood is what. the shady areas look shady.

I've had cops on my street three times in 10 years. A suspicious car drove through once and a neighbor called them (two guys from Providence casing the neighborhood), once during the January 2011 blizzard they sent a car to check on an older couple (who the neighborhood had checked on all day-she answered the door and told the cop "I thought it was another damned neighbor come to see if we had frozen to death yet") and once for a 7 year old who "went for a walk" without telling anyone...

For the most part we are a bedroom community....Saturday night and the main drag is pretty quiet....the town itself is quiet after 10 pm most weeknights, too! lol But we like it like that and that's why we live here. On Saturdays Tiogue Ave (Route 3 in town) is pretty busy as there are grocery stores and banks, bakeries, barbers etc. open...

we have a small town beach but it is usally mobbed by out of towners who aren't particularly considerate of others, so on the weekends it's usally not locals using it....

I didn't grow up here but I do love this town...still lots of farms and forest, ponds and rivers, too.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:51 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,005,195 times
If you are asking if Coventry the town is slummy it clearly is not. If you are inquiring about CoventryDude, I will let the man speak for himself!

Old 05-23-2011, 06:33 PM

? lol

Thanks for all the help, I will have to drive around the town now.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 PM

564 posts, read 1,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
If you are asking if Coventry the town is slummy it clearly is not. If you are inquiring about CoventryDude, I will let the man speak for himself!

LOL, I do clean up nicely, however!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island