U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 3,053,065 times
Reputation: 2395

Advertisements

I still don't understand why there are not lifeguards at a SINGLE rhode island beach after Sept 5th. The water is 10 degrees warmer in September than it is in June. US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

People don't stop going into the water just because most of the tourists from far away states have left, Rhode Island is a high population area. Also, many people still make day trips from MA and CT during September/OCT

They DOUBLED rhode island state beach parking fee's and collect a small fortune every year. There is no reason that a few beaches shouldn't be guarded at least until the end of September if not till oct 15. Farther down in the mid atlantic they keep lifeguards on duty until OCT in some locations and the water temp is only a few degrees different. Of course in California and FLorida, they patrol year round. I'm not saying every beach should have lifeguards, but to have NO LIFEGUARDS ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME is ridiculous. At least keep them on in the weekends in September. Absolutely ridiculous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM
 
11,116 posts, read 17,427,414 times
Reputation: 10116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I still don't understand why there are not lifeguards at a SINGLE rhode island beach after Sept 5th. The water is 10 degrees warmer in September than it is in June. US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

People don't stop going into the water just because most of the tourists from far away states have left, Rhode Island is a high population area. Also, many people still make day trips from MA and CT during September/OCT

They DOUBLED rhode island state beach parking fee's and collect a small fortune every year. There is no reason that a few beaches shouldn't be guarded at least until the end of September if not till oct 15. Farther down in the mid atlantic they keep lifeguards on duty until OCT in some locations and the water temp is only a few degrees different. Of course in California and FLorida, they patrol year round. I'm not saying every beach should have lifeguards, but to have NO LIFEGUARDS ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME is ridiculous. At least keep them on in the weekends in September. Absolutely ridiculous.

Most likely because the majority of them are college students. It's been this way in Rhody forever. Beaches are basically closed, swim at your own risk, or move to a warmer climate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:42 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 3,053,065 times
Reputation: 2395
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Most likely because the majority of them are college students. It's been this way in Rhody forever. Beaches are basically closed, swim at your own risk, or move to a warmer climate.
Hi Quilterchick LMAO The water and air temperature is warmer on average in SEPT in RI then it is in July in Southern California!

That's the way it's always been.....that's not really a logical explanation for anything!
Lots of people need jobs. Make lifeguarding a profession in RI like it elsewhere rather than just having ONLY college kids who need a summer job be the only ones that work at it. Lots of people need jobs!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 02:15 PM
 
Location: chepachet
1,478 posts, read 2,680,695 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I still don't understand why there are not lifeguards at a SINGLE rhode island beach after Sept 5th. The water is 10 degrees warmer in September than it is in June. US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

People don't stop going into the water just because most of the tourists from far away states have left, Rhode Island is a high population area. Also, many people still make day trips from MA and CT during September/OCT

They DOUBLED rhode island state beach parking fee's and collect a small fortune every year. There is no reason that a few beaches shouldn't be guarded at least until the end of September if not till oct 15. Farther down in the mid atlantic they keep lifeguards on duty until OCT in some locations and the water temp is only a few degrees different. Of course in California and FLorida, they patrol year round. I'm not saying every beach should have lifeguards, but to have NO LIFEGUARDS ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME is ridiculous. At least keep them on in the weekends in September. Absolutely ridiculous.

One of the best kept secrets we have is now revealed. September has always been the local's time to swim. We know the water is warm and there is nothing better than a swim on a warm Sept or even Oct day. We also know that only the capable swimmers will come this time of year because of the lack of lifeguards. If you add lifeguards you add parking fees. After Labor Day has always been off season. Let us locals revel in it and if day trippers come from other states let them come at their own risk. I mean do we always need full beaches?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 3,053,065 times
Reputation: 2395
Parking fee's?

I know most people who go to the beach more than a few times a year buy a season pass anyway and like I said, you could always go to a beach that isn't guarded if you wanted to be alone and not pay a fee.

Only a few of the heavily used beaches would need to be guarded(say misquamicut, Scarborough, 2nd beach in newport, and narragansett town beach) The rest of the beaches could be unguarded. And there are a TON of them
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 02:55 PM
 
599 posts, read 1,009,634 times
Reputation: 397
...We're lucky we get any trained life guards at all. The dollars they derive from beaches and beach passes is nothing, after you investigate the financial problems this state has. The fact is... they don't care if you want to swim after Labor day is over, or not. No matter how pleasant a thought of extending the season truly is....It's about pensions baby, and who's getting what. $$$$$$.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Rhode Island
688 posts, read 2,028,163 times
Reputation: 326
Clearly, sharks have a strong lobby in Rhode Island. Da-Dum...Da-Dum...Da-Dum-Da-Dum-Da-Dum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 AM
 
599 posts, read 1,009,634 times
Reputation: 397
Dum
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Cranston
2,040 posts, read 3,753,305 times
Reputation: 429
Beaches are free now. I agree with Mr2448, September is the best swimming month here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 01:09 PM
 
11,116 posts, read 17,427,414 times
Reputation: 10116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Hi Quilterchick LMAO The water and air temperature is warmer on average in SEPT in RI then it is in July in Southern California!

That's the way it's always been.....that's not really a logical explanation for anything!
Lots of people need jobs. Make lifeguarding a profession in RI like it elsewhere rather than just having ONLY college kids who need a summer job be the only ones that work at it. Lots of people need jobs!

Make lifeguarding a "profession" ? Surely you are joking. Summer is a very short season in RI and along the New England coast.

The State of RI sets the dates for opening and closing of the beaches and lifeguard coverage from Memorial Day to Labor Day ...that's it. Swim at your own risk before and after such times.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top