U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:28 AM

65 posts, read 115,061 times

Advertisements

I am palnning to move back to New England, and want to research RI further, especially Kinninicut which I know is either part of Warwick or close to it. I want to be near or on the beach. --Yokie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 05:58 AM

11,115 posts, read 18,072,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokie View Post
I am palnning to move back to New England, and want to research RI further, especially Kinninicut which I know is either part of Warwick or close to it. I want to be near or on the beach. --Yokie

Most likely you mean "Conimicut" which is a very small area of Warwick. You could read about various parts of RI on the Providence Journal, www.projo.com or Google the various towns for further information, as well as the Rhode Island MLS system which has towns listed by area and you can get a feel for what type of housing is in Conimicut.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:17 AM

604 posts, read 1,037,089 times
I have no idea why...but I find Conimicut interesting...they invested in those sidewalk lamps that give it a certain look. Too bad in reality many of the business have closed. It's close to the water off many streets, that's kind of nice too. It could be a nice spot. Wonder if it's safe.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:19 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,448,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokie View Post
Conimicut Point was wiped out by the 1938 hurricane and never really recovered fully. During the 1970s and 80s there was a significant amount of building of suburban houses, but it's never been an optimal neighborhood to live in. Much of the housing is pre-WWII cottages and it's very working class (if that's what you're looking for).

Right next door is Warwick Neck, a much more expensive neighborhood with much better views of Narragansett Bay. It also has cottages toward West Shore Road; farther down the peninsula are large homes and a former Seminary (as well as the dearly departed Rocky Point amusement park).

You could also look at Oakland Beach (see Conimicut, above; very much the same demographic), which is to the west of Warwick Neck or - further west - Buttonwoods or Nausauket. Both of these are former beach communities too.

You should keep in mind that, if you choose any of the neighborhoods along the Seekonk River/Upper Narragansett Bay, you're subject to periodic overflows from the Providence Sewage Treatment Plant that close the upper bay to shellfishing (and, if you're smart, swimming too). In true RI fashion, that problem was supposed to have been addressed over 30 years ago, but of course never was.

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck on your search.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,789,276 times
You should keep in mind that, if you choose any of the neighborhoods along the Seekonk River/Upper Narragansett Bay, you're subject to periodic overflows from the Providence Sewage Treatment Plant that close the upper bay to shellfishing (and, if you're smart, swimming too). In true RI fashion, that problem was supposed to have been addressed over 30 years ago, but of course never was.

Thr upper bay and coves have periodic closings due to excess rains and sewer overflows, but this year the closings have been cut in half mainly due to the new (3year old) sewarage overflow capacity of the Providence system which now has a 3 mile underground holding system. The upper bay will never become pristine, but it has improved greatly and will contiue to improve. Shell fishing closures are now only limited year round to the Providence River. Upper Bay closures have been reduced greatly. Warwick is still tieing in all of the coastal communities into their sewer system. Conimicut as stated is a working class community. But even homes along the water exact a higher price. These are homes with smaller lots because they were originally just summer homes built by the Rhode Island Company (the trolley company of that time), also known as the Warwick Railway. You can still see remnants of the old right of way. The Tidewater community just south of it has larger homes and larger lots and again higher prices, but they also command a better view of Narragansett Bay.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 AM

570 posts, read 1,254,108 times
Don't mean to be a stickler, but Conimicut seems more low-income than working class. THere is a difference; there are decent middle-class neighborhoods of working people in most RI communities. Conimicut seems more lower-income; maybe because it is also a non-minority community we give them the distinction of being 'working' class.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
Don't mean to be a stickler, but Conimicut seems more low-income than working class. THere is a difference; there are decent middle-class neighborhoods of working people in most RI communities. Conimicut seems more lower-income; maybe because it is also a non-minority community we give them the distinction of being 'working' class.
You are a stickler, indeed; I'm trying to be polite. Would there have been additional value to calling it a white slum?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:16 AM

11,115 posts, read 18,072,037 times
Another way to give the OP an idea of what Conimicut has to offer would be to point out that people aren't exactly beating the doors down to live in Conimicut.

Flood insurance is a big expense in that area and banks will not finance property there without it.

Liviing on the water or with a reasonable view of the water, or even a short walk to the beach, in RI is very pricey.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:39 AM

570 posts, read 1,254,108 times
White slum? I didn't know it was that bad, rranger

Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Warwick is still tieing in all of the coastal communities into their sewer system.
Still? You do realize they started that very difficult project @ 1980. As they say "Rome wasn't built in a day!" I mean, who could possibly expect a city of 90K people to have a fully operating sewage system within a 30 year timeframe? It's really too much to expect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island