U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:25 AM

688 posts, read 2,033,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachtree9889 View Post
Blahhh I'm having SUCH a difficult time finding a nice one-bed under $800 that will be SAFE! This is harder than finding a good place in Boston! Any more suggestions?
It's tough at the moment to find decent rentals. I'd suggest the East Bay (Warren, Bristol) area which is usually fairly safe but you'll be working in Warwick so the commute would be rather unpleasant.

If money is a bit of an issue be aware of excise tax issues for your car which can make a bit of a difference in a budget. Depending on where you live, you'll be charged more tax than elsewhere. Usually, the more rural areas have a better tax rate than the metropolitan areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 11:18 AM

11,115 posts, read 17,565,671 times
Quote:
Ok my list is edited a bit!

King Street, E. Greenwich
Peeptoad Road, N. Scituate
Woonasquatucket Avenue, N. Providence
Smithfield Road, N. Providence
Eric Place, N. Providence

Any feedback is really appreciated!

You are not taking our opinions seriously enough. North Scituate is safe, but an apt. in that area should be expensive. North Providence in general can be safe in certain areas, be very careful.

I gave you the best recommendation for a privately owned complex on Douglas Av. in North Providence on a busline. (I have absolutely no affiliation with this company except that I am a RI native and was a real estate agent in RI for over 20 years. I know the neighborhoods, and some are lot worse now than they were when I left RI 9 yrs. ago ! ) You are getting good advice on this forum. Stretch a little and pay about $950 to $1100 and you should be all right. You may need your employer to adjust your income level a tad. And GermanSpy is right .... your car taxes and car insurance will be high. Are you from Georgia? thus the "peachtree" user name? If so, you are in for a financial culture shock in the northeast. Sorry.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:51 PM

10 posts, read 16,574 times
All due respect, Quilterchick, but did you expect me to immediately change every appointment I had? I'm taking into account as much as I can. I'm going up to look at all apartments I can afford. I literally cannot afford more than $800. This is an entry-level job, after all (I negotiated to get it where it's at now, I can't ask for any more). So frustrating! And it sucks that I only have Monday to look, too. I appreciate all suggestions of raising my budget, etc. but I'm pretty stuck where I'm at.

And I looked for some places that you said on Douglas, but could only find retirement communities...were those what you meant (I actually know a few people who are in their 20's that got into retirement communities and I'd be totally fine doing that! Ha!), or could you provide me with the exact name/address of the building? Had a hard time finding what you were talking about with the information you provided. I appreciated it, though!

And no, not Georgia. Originally Pennsylvania, as I said in the first post I made on here. However, I've lived in Boston for the past four years and I'm used to paying $1250 for a shoebox one-bedroom, plus $200/month for a parking space.

Added places on Violet Street in Providence and Central Ave in East Providence? Thoughts?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:53 PM

567 posts, read 1,231,144 times
You seem to be expending some energy looking in some not so nice areas. I know you can find a 1 bed in Cranston or Warwick around 800 or less if you take some time to look there. Don't waste your time hoping for a diamond in the rough part of town that you don't know.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:08 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,372,613 times
There have got to be a number of options in the Hill and Harbor area of E. Greenwich. King Street can be really nice or really not so nice.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:27 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,704,127 times
[
Added places on Violet Street in Providence and Central Ave in East Providence? Thoughts?[/quote]

Violet is out of the question. Central Ave could be doable for you. Call on the Peep Toad Rd apt before you go unless you know it falls within your price range already. It is about 13 miles west of the city, out Route 6 and take a right onto 116. It is then your first left. It is about a 20-25 minute drive to the city, longer during commute times. The area is mostly single families, older homes and some with tennis courts, and any apt there would be worth living in. It is rural, not suburban, with horses and apples nearby. Btw, North Scituate is an area within the towns of Scituate and Glocester. Also, both of these towns have auto tax rates far lower than any urban area and your car insurance would also reflect that.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:39 AM

10 posts, read 16,574 times
Alright, thanks everyone. I have a bunch of places to look at tomorrow, some in nicer areas, as you've all mentioned, some in areas a friend of mine suggested, and then some in areas that have been "voted against" but I might as well check them out anyway since I'll only be there for one day. This is going to be an exhausting, marathon trip but I'm confident I'll find something.

Thanks again! I'm sure you can all appreciate how difficult it is to move to an area that you have absolutely no familiarity with, so this forum is very helpful. At any rate, I just need to see places with my own eyes and go from there.

I'll let you know what I find!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 AM

11,115 posts, read 17,565,671 times
Quote:
Alright, thanks everyone. I have a bunch of places to look at tomorrow, some in nicer areas, as you've all mentioned, some in areas a friend of mine suggested, and then some in areas that have been "voted against" but I might as well check them out anyway since I'll only be there for one day. This is going to be an exhausting, marathon trip but I'm confident I'll find something.

Thanks again! I'm sure you can all appreciate how difficult it is to move to an area that you have absolutely no familiarity with, so this forum is very helpful. At any rate, I just need to see places with my own eyes and go from there.

I'll let you know what I find!
Peachtree, I have sent you a helpful direct msg.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:36 AM

9,982 posts, read 7,697,426 times
Hey peachtree. Let me tell you a little more about King St, East Greenwich.
I have worked and lived in that neighborhood, it's nice.
You will be right on top of the Bay, with many restaurants and old style
Main street stores there. King St is quiet too, because it's tucked under
Main st with nowhere else to go but the Bay. On weekend nights, though,
20 Water St picks up, it's just a short walk down the hill.
Look into this area some more, I can recommend it. The area also
has a very historic feel, going back to the 1700s. Overall, people
are friendly and bright. The only thing about King St itself, is how much
you would object to some interruption of quiet time when people go to
20 Water. http://twentywaterstreet.com/
Ron.
btw do yourself a favor and download Google Earth, look it up. There's
photos and all the visual info you need.

Last edited by Snowball7; 09-25-2011 at 09:47 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 04:01 PM

4,113 posts, read 10,533,512 times
Check out this link as well:
Warwick Apartments for Rent | Warwick, RI - Apartments.com

It lists apartment complexes in Warwick, a very safe suburb of Providence. Some of the studios and 1 BR are in the $800 range. Included in this list is Bayside Country Club, Fairfax Village, Four Seasons and Cowesett Hills apartments...all very safe and convenient. Worth at least a call to see if they have anything available.

From the previous list you provided, I'd definitely check King St. In East Greenwich. While Scituate is lovely, it may be a bit rural and out of the way for your liking after living in Boston. North Providence has both good and bad areas so I'd definitely them out! Hope this helps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island