Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 PM

26 posts, read 41,439 times

Advertisements

Are we pressing 2 for Italian? German? Gaelic? Russian? I know in RI and even up here in Mass, the number of illegals from Brazil is over 60% and Portuguese is spoken more in certain areas than Spanish.

If I ran a company and wanted target a demographic that wasn't primary English speaking then I'm certainly free to do so as my primary concern is profitability and making money. If you don't want to here a telephone prompt you're more than welcome to take your business elsewhere.

Yes, this is a free country but our language is English. Don't try to pretend you don't know that.

No, there is a distinction between what the majority speaks and what is determined by the government.

The groups from the past came through Ellis Island. That right there says a lot about what kind of immigrants, human beings they were. The ones coming now are always waiting for a handout and when they don't get their way they waste no time calling Americans bigots, racists and they protest until they get what they want... As if they were entitled to everything this country has to offer. Their lack of respect for our country is enough to make me dislike them. And I am not the only one who feels that way.

What makes someone so much more special coming through Ellis Island rather than any other way? Funny how many people claim that their forebears came from Ellis Island with nothing and became successful, but when someone raises their taxes a little then whine as It's an unbearable struggle.

Where are they calling American's bigots, racist, etc...? Why don't you put up some proof instead of hyperbole. The only people who are see that are whining and throwing up racist comments are the ones looking to boot out any brown skinned person that doesn't speak perfect english.

What are they doing they shows lack of respect?

Sure your not the only one who feels that way, but feeling doesn't make you right.

Those people made the CHOICE to come here, why do we need to bend over and backwards to accommodate them?

How are we bending over backwards? by having them pick our food, clean and build houses for menial wages? Last I recall not one of these things are fun too do. Is It because they are getting in-state tuition? well If they are paying taxes and live in the state I don't see what the problem Is. Is It because they are getting driver's licenses? Well at least now their is some form of documentation involved, and then that state will receive income from car related taxes sounds like a win too me.

Good for you for speaking multiple languages, however there are plenty of people with citizenship or in the process of receiving citizenship who lack the full grasp of the English language. To assume that because someone isn't fluent in English equals illegal is a big misnomer. As I stated early in this thread my neighbor speaks poor English with a thick Italian accent, does that mean she Is an Illegal? How about someone who just got here from a war torn country and is legally working through their citizenship, would we expect them to be an English speaking expert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 PM

26 posts, read 41,439 times
Those whom forget history are doomed to repeat It. Everyone likes to think that immigrants whom came here 100 years ago or through Ellis Island, jumped off the ship to be greeted with open arms and waving an American flag, but they experienced the same hostilities (oft the same hostilities listed in mention in this thread).

And not everyone embraced English, see highlighted below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativism_(politics)

From the 1840s to 1920 German Americans were distrusted because of their separatist social structure, their love of beer, their German-language schools, their attachment to their native tongue over English, and their neutrality in World War I.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:39 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
The immigrats who came through Ellis Island came here LEGALLY. They were heavily vetted, examined for contagious disease- many were rejected and sent back.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 PM

605 posts, read 1,093,043 times
Quote:
The immigrants who came through Ellis Island came here LEGALLY. They were heavily vetted, examined for contagious disease- many were rejected and sent back.
We stated...This is one of the main reasons we should be asking for "legal" immigration. We must know who is in this country and for what reason. If you have no place to live, no job prospects, no records of proper shots ...lets just say it's not a good time for you to come to this Country.
Many of us are not against any one ethnic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island