Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,672,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxsie454 View Post
The Providence East Side is the only area of Providence that would be suitable for your family. It also has the largest and most active Jewish community in R.I. Suggest you check out the E.S. areas known as Blackstone, Wayland, and Elmgrove (not Elmhurst). Keep in mind that East Side is totally developed, 90% of the homes are pre-World War II, and even the most desirable homes are set on lots under 10,000 sq ft. I searched RILIVING dot com for 4 beds or more, in a range $625K to $825K and got only eight hits. The commute to Woonsocket straight north from the State House on Rt.44 is a breeze.

Fifteen - twenty minutes from Providence, Barrington is high-end suburban with rather small, friendly shopping district, a diverse stock of nice homes of all styles from Victorian to contemporary, some on small town lots, others featuring acres of manicured lawns, and some small farms and stables. They are priced from moderate to many millions of bucks. The private Rhode Island Country Club is THE society destination. The upper Narragansett Bay is always near by, with a smaller uncrowded beach, sailboats and cruisers. It is a nice dry town (cough cough). Highest rated school district.

East Greenwich has its steeple chase group, farms which are rapidly being developed, big box stores, offices, and a few small industries on Rt 2., and a large stock of modern tract style sprawling colonials on acre lots sprinkled among the older, sprawling estates on gently rolling meadows where horses graze. The eastern edge of town is home to the harbor district, with yachts, cabin cruisers, sloops, tied at the docks, and a number of large, very nice restaurants along the shore. Between the harbor and Main Street (Rt1) lies the intact remnants of the original town -- quaint Colonial and early Victorian houses built closely together on narrow streets. Also high rated public schools and the prestigious private Rocky Hill school in Potowomut. Along Main Street are the typical mesh of small town America stores and shops and diners where you walk instead of drive from door to door insearch of rugs, antiques, jewelery, steak, ice cream, pizza, the U S Flag and the town bank. Enjoy it while you can.
Let's be clear. None of this is going to even remotely resemble the amenities or environs you have available to you in a place like Scarsdale or Great Neck or Short Hills or Newton or Brookline ... etc. But, if you want to live in RI, I guess Barrington is your best choice (given your constraints). I - personally - would choose the East Side. But, then, I'm a much more urban kind of person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 04:20 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,433,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I think you'd be most at home around Blackstone Boulevard.
The area will fit your cultural needs, and it's a pleasant area
full of classy homes.
I disagree....reformed Jews do not need to live around Blackstone Blvd to have their "cultural needs" met. I know, as I am one. The OP would likely find that East Greenwich or Barrington would suit her needs perfectly. While the East Side is lovely, she would need private schools for her kids whereas the public school systems in both Barrington and EG are good.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,604,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I disagree....reformed Jews do not need to live around Blackstone Blvd to have their "cultural needs" met. I know, as I am one. The OP would likely find that East Greenwich or Barrington would suit her needs perfectly. While the East Side is lovely, she would need private schools for her kids whereas the public school systems in both Barrington and EG are good.
the original poster said, "a good amount of Jewish families and beautiful homes."

there are far more Jewish families on the East Side than in EG or Barrington.
those are just the demographic facts.
The highest concentration of Jews in the state is in the ‘core': the Providence/Pawtucket area.
Dem study

Old 01-21-2012, 11:08 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,566,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
the original poster said, "a good amount of Jewish families and beautiful homes."

there are far more Jewish families on the East Side than in EG or Barrington.
those are just the demographic facts.
The highest concentration of Jews in the state is in the ‘core': the Providence/Pawtucket area.
Dem study

That is a ten year old study, from 2002.

Barrington and East Greenwich certainly do have Jewish families; the days of families settling in pocket areas is pretty much over.

The OP said she didn't know much about RI; we are here to assist and suggest. With their budget as stated, I would say East Greenwich or Barrington would be excellent family oriented areas for their needs; and easy enough to travel anywhere in a state that is not quite 48 miles from corner to corner. They have some nice areas to do their property search.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 PM

80 posts, read 184,960 times
Default Friendly Jewish communities

Certainly, East Side probably has more shuls and some great private schools, but if your going to have to pay high taxes AND spend a fortune on private schools?????????

We've lived on the East Side, in Edgewood, Dean Estates, and currently just over the East Greenwich border in North Kingstown. Taxes and crime are high in Providence, which is why we moved to Cranston, and now to North Kingstown.

East Greenwich is building a new synagogue. We are Reform and drive 20 minutes to the East Side of Providence to Temple Beth El, because we love our rabbi. My husband is also a member of the Woonsocket shul (becuase his business is there), Temple B'nai Israel, which has alot of great family programs, but is Conservative.

Barrington is lovely, but too waspy for us. It also does not have lots of restaurants in town---though we did keep our sailboat there for years and enjoyed it. No ethnic diversity....ahem.

To give you an idea---we live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home on 5 1/2 lovely acres of land, WATERFRONT, with a large barn, a separate garage, AND a two car garage attached to our house---with a professional style paved basketball/tennis court---our home is worth $600,000. Our taxes are about $7,000 a year. It's all about the taxes in RI. Check them carefully because they keep going up---which is why we are:
goin south................

I takes my husband 35/40 minutes to drive from North Kingstown to Woonsocket each day. East Greenwich, depending on where, is 5 to 10 minuters closer. Hope this helps. Your budget should get you a lovely home. Type in RILIVING.COM and put in your search requirements.

Last edited by goin south; 01-27-2012 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 01-27-2012, 03:42 PM

9,319 posts, read 14,932,402 times
quote:To give you an idea---we live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home on 5 1/2 lovely acres of land, WATERFRONT, with a large barn, a separate garage, AND a two car garage attached to our house---with a professional style paved basketball/tennis court---our home is worth $600,000. Our taxes are about $7,000 a year. It's all about the taxes in RI. Check them carefully because they keep going up---which is why we are:

I'm confused- you are now living in a waterfront 5.5 acre property in RI and your taxes are only 7K? Where in the south could you duplicate the above for less in taxes and not be in total boondocks? I'd love to know!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
quote:To give you an idea---we live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home on 5 1/2 lovely acres of land, WATERFRONT, with a large barn, a separate garage, AND a two car garage attached to our house---with a professional style paved basketball/tennis court---our home is worth $600,000. Our taxes are about $7,000 a year. It's all about the taxes in RI. Check them carefully because they keep going up---which is why we are:

I'm confused- you are now living in a waterfront 5.5 acre property in RI and your taxes are only 7K? Where in the south could you duplicate the above for less in taxes and not be in total boondocks? I'd love to know!

Well for starters, they don't have to pay $600K for 3 BR, 2 BA. They don't say how many sq. ftg. in the home itself, and the outbuildings and the house surely are not new construction.

We have a 12 yr. old home in western NC, a 3400 sq. ft 3 BR, 4 bath cedar sided home on a mountain, 3 car detached garage including a 3rd high door RV garage, plus an RV pad on 2 acres, mostly flat. Taxes? $1370/yr. It is on the market for $349,500.

Taxes are much lower, services are a lot better, highways are well kept and they don't get torn up over and over every two years to keep the union guys busy.

You can pretty much buy a lovely home in various parts of the south for $100 per sq. ft. with low taxes. If someone wants a similar home near the coast of NC, SC, GA etc. ( VA is a different animal, being close to Wash. DC), prices will be similar but without much land. One difference will be flood insurance near those coastlines. Many people would prefer a breathtaking view or having access to the National Forests and as they say, different strokes for different folks. But the south is far and away a whole lot less expensive than anywhere in the northeast.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 01-27-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 PM

80 posts, read 184,960 times
Wink Jewish family trying to find nice community

Our waterfront home is 3,000 + sq feet, the barn is 1,400 sq feet, and I don't know how big the freestanding garage is, but it fits a car/truck and a workshop.

I've found many canal front homes in greater Sarasota, Florida for under $400,00 with a pool and a dock with taxes under $3,000, with ocean access----and that's why we're movin south.

However, this is about the Jewish family trying to find a nice neighborhood and I gave them my best advice about moving here........

I've lived in Rhode Island my whole life, and don 't want to leave but the anti-business climate has forced our hand. As soon as our business sells, we are outta here. And whoever buys it will probably move it out of state too!!!!

Last edited by goin south; 01-27-2012 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: mis-typed size of house

Old 01-28-2012, 06:11 AM

Default Deciding

If the State of RI leaders would admit that this migration has been going on for a long time, and do something about the exhorbitant property taxes, many middle class folks and retirees would not have to leave for a lower cost of living area. And, those thinking about moving to RI for employment will not have as much of economic shock; companies could adjust their pay scales accordingly and be able to grow their businesses and hire more people. Large companies used to transfer people from all over the country to RI and nearby MA, not so much anymore. The most popular areas relocating families gravitated to were and still are, Barrington, East Greenwich, Cumberland and Lincoln.

Much of the price difference on homes between let's say RI vs. SC, NC, GA, VA etc., is the cost of labor for construction, and the cost of land. I just looked up some average homes in Barrington, for example, on 10,000 sf to 15,000 sf lots in average nice established family areas. 3 BR, 1 or 2 Baths, etc. Most of the lots were tax appraised at $130,000 to $200,000 for the land, and the home's tax values were between $98,000 and $160,000. At tax value of $350,000, the homeowner will pay taxes around $6,000 this year.

Tourism brings in good business to Ri and the beaches are nice, but the summer is short. RI is a very pretty state overall.

When the OP is shopping for homes in RI, they will quickly see that the taxes make a big difference in their bottom line yearly expenses as well as resale value.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:47 AM

9,319 posts, read 14,932,402 times
Yes thank you Goin south, that's what I figured. You must not have oceanfront here?

Plenty of people, especially in retirement, do make the Florida tradeoff, often for the weather. For many, the cultural tradeoff is not acceptable, for others it's worth it. Depends on one's requirements and lifestyle. I know many here in their 60s and up who will never consider it and others who automatically turn 60+ and head south. I understand that you also have business concerns.

My question concerned considering truly comparable properties in terms of acreage, taxes, amenities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island