Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:28 PM

605 posts, read 1,094,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For many, the cultural tradeoff is not acceptable
Yes, Rhode Island is a bastion of culture. As a matter of fact "that" along with, high unemployment, a terrible reputation for business friendliness, high teen pregnancy, high suicide rate, high taxes, and several cities in financial default, along with the slowest population growth in the country.
Too bad we can't use our "culture" as infrastructure. Maybe then we would have proper roads to travel on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 08:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 14,943,284 times
You should try living in the deep south.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 AM

605 posts, read 1,094,087 times
Well...Deep South may be a bit too much for even me.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboys2 View Post
We're currently living in Westchester county NY (which we love) but my husband is considering a job in Woonsocket RI. We have 2 boys, ages 2.5 and 4 months and I am a stay at home mom. We're looking for a charming town with great schools, a good amount of Jewish families and beautiful homes. We love a small town feel but also like conveniences of shops, restaurants, etc. I don't know anything about RI but my research has led me to Barrington, East Greenwich and the East Side of Providence as well as Sharon, MA. We are reform Jews and not very religious but would still like to raise our children with other jewish families. Budget is around $800K for a 5 bedroom+ house. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
I grew up in Westchester, am a reform Jew, and live in RI with two small kids. I think you would be most comfortable on the East Side - IF you are otherwise okay paying for private school.

If you want public, I would go with Barrington. Schools are great, there is a reform temple in town, and it's not much further of a commute for your husband. EG is a great town, too - there is a nice, tight-night Jewish community, and the schools are also good. There's a bit of a mix in terms of housing stock - if you like the older, Colonial style homes (which I do), look closer to the downtown area (Hill and Harbor district?). Otherwise, there are a lot of 60-80's era homes that are not really my personal style. BUT you would have to drive up to Cranston or Providence for access to a reform synagogue. They are building a temple in EG right now, but it's conservative. I would not look at Warren or Bristol, as other people have suggested.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:30 PM

14 posts, read 52,869 times
Default Barrington - better for kids

I'd like to point out that I know several people who have moved away from Barrington to the East side only to come back as they didn't feel safe with kids there.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 AM

That's surprising. Where were these people living exactly? There are a few sections where you might not feel safe, but certainly not in the major part.

The official demographics of the East Side say it's about 10% Jewish, but I think the figure is more like 35-40%, just from personal observation - from living here for 30 years. There are numerous Hasidim.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,059,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
That's surprising. Where were these people living exactly? There are a few sections where you might not feel safe, but certainly not in the major part.

The official demographics of the East Side say it's about 10% Jewish, but I think the figure is more like 35-40%, just from personal observation - from living here for 30 years. There are numerous Hasidim.
The East Side has traditionally included from the Pawtucket line to Fox Point and College Hill and North Main Street. With that type of area it probably is only 10%. Now if you were to say North of Lloyd Ave and East of Hope Street, then yes 35-40% might be correct.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:55 AM

Yes, you're right- that's why I was wondering where they were to think they were unsafe- down near North Main St maybe???

Old 03-26-2012, 01:21 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,059,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Yes, you're right- that's why I was wondering where they were to think they were unsafe- down near North Main St maybe???
The thing about the East Side is that it really hasn't changed much, as far as safety, in the last 60 years. Most of Fox Point is no longer traditional family as it was back then and the area west of Hope Street is more diversified, but both areas remain relatively safe. Oh yeah, Camp Street remains Camp Street, but the crime that was in Lippett Hill, now University Heights, is gone and even Constitution Hill and Benefit Street no longer has the crime of the 50's and 60's because of the renewal there. I can remember shootings at Nathan Bishop Jr. High, the melting pot of the East Side. That being said, if someone from Barrington bought along Taber Ave, I can't imagine them down near No Main St, and side streets off of it, they might not be opened to the walk through traffic going to Nathan Bishop. Live off of Brown Street? again a lot of walk through traffic. I'm not an expert but I lived on the East Side in my childhood and have many friends still living there from Lancaster to Mt. Hope to Grotto Ave. I do make my weekly trek to Davis', people I've known all my life. Maybe the Barrington returnees weren't comfortable with the Hasidim that now makes up much of the Jewish population on the East Side? They are orthodox compared to the Jewish pop I grew up with on the East Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island