U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 12,586 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to New England from PA. He is graduating this May with his Elementary Education degree and I am a kitchen & bath designer. He has already interviewed with a Boston charter school, but has also put in a bunch of applications with Rhode Island schools. If he were to get and accept one of RI positions, we'd be looking to live in a coastal town (close proximity to the beach) but would probably both be working in Providence. What would be some good towns to consider?

We have 3 kids, ages 8, 7 and 3 so preferably something kid-friendly. Our budget for an apartment (3 BR, pet-friendly) is around $1500/month.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM

8,571 posts, read 16,675,308 times
I lived in both North and South Kingstown and worked in Providence - did that for 25 years. I loved living at the beach and hated when my husband insisted we move to the city. North Kingstown has a town beach that is fantastic for younger kids - it's right off Boston Neck Rd behind town hall. During summers, my boys and I spent nearly every day there (I didn't work summers until they were older). We moved to SK when the youngest was around 8 and they were wanting to be at the bigger beaches. I would get home from work, change into my suit and we'd hit the beach for an hour or two before heading home to make dinner.

I am not a fan of the beaches in Warwick or EG (Goddard Park is nice as a park but it's beach is not so nice). If you go to the east bay beaches/towns, keep in mind that there's really only 1 way into Providence - over the 95 bridge and that's always been a bottleneck. At least with the South County towns, you can split off and grab route 10.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:27 AM

8,098 posts, read 12,785,325 times
You need to look first at school systems. Coastal towns- per se- are expensive and your budget at $1500 for three bedrooms and pets would be a little low. Many towns in RI are close to the beach, so that should be a secondary consideration.

For commuting to Providence, the East Bay town of Barrington would be about 15 min. It and East Greenwich rank among the highest in terms of public schools.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:15 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,431,867 times
I agree with Hollytree. I think most of RI is in close proximity to a beach. Check Greatschools.org and find the best school districts. That is the best starting point.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 AM

I don't agree on the $1500 not being enough for a rental in South County - i just checked the MLS and there are several houses in SK for less.

Immaculate Three BR, Two full BA, South Kingstown, RI | 13 Broadmoor Rd South Kingstown RI | 2724604276 | Home Listings on Aol Real Estate (http://apartments.rentedspaces.oodle.com/view/immaculate-three-br-two-full-ba-south-kingstown-ri/2724604276-south-kingstown-ri/ - broken link)

Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,431,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I don't agree on the $1500 not being enough for a rental in South County - i just checked the MLS and there are several houses in SK for less.

Immaculate Three BR, Two full BA, South Kingstown, RI | 13 Broadmoor Rd South Kingstown RI | 2724604276 | Home Listings on Aol Real Estate (http://apartments.rentedspaces.oodle.com/view/immaculate-three-br-two-full-ba-south-kingstown-ri/2724604276-south-kingstown-ri/ - broken link)
\

I am going to do a tag-team with my fellow NYer. I checked greatschools, and it looks like if you live in So. Kingstown you can go to school in neighboring Walkefield and North Kingstown. I found some highly rated schools. You just have to go to the So. Kingstown school site on google and call and ask what the zoning is. Back in the day when I was researching the best schools were in Barrington and East Greewich. Wakefield looks pretty darn good too.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 PM

8,098 posts, read 12,785,325 times
Annie, you do realize that house you found is 1125 sq ft?

Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
\

I am going to do a tag-team with my fellow NYer. I checked greatschools, and it looks like if you live in So. Kingstown you can go to school in neighboring Walkefield and North Kingstown. I found some highly rated schools. You just have to go to the So. Kingstown school site on google and call and ask what the zoning is. Back in the day when I was researching the best schools were in Barrington and East Greewich. Wakefield looks pretty darn good too.
Wakefield is a village in the town of S. Kingstown. Be careful when you check out towns vs villages. I'm sure I'll miss one: Perryville, Kingston, W. Kingston, Peacedale, Wakefield, Matunuck, E. Matunuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Annie, you do realize that house you found is 1125 sq ft?
I didn't check out the sq. ft - but it's still a whole house with a yard. It just shows that the OP can find housing in SK in her price range. And with the extension of Rte 4, that should make the commute around 30 minutes. It used to take us 45 min from The Oaks with a stop at Allie's (of course).

Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM

80 posts, read 171,472 times
Cool What are some Rhode Island beach towns

I've lived in Rhode Island my whole life. I now live in North Kingstown, in the northern part, 5 minutes from downtown East Greenwich. Schools in East G are great. North Kingstown has a a town beach, and Quonset Point has three small ocean beaches. All are within 30 minute drive of Providence.

If you go south of that you are going to increase your commuting time---especially in the summer (I work in Wakefield, which is in South Kingstown)---so I know what I'm talking about. I understand rentals are getting harder and harder to come by in Rhode Island, so you may want to look into a condo development. I'm about to rent my Mom's two bedrrom condo in Warwick for $1200 a month. It has a pool and tennis, but is no where near a nice beach. There is a pond down the street wth a public beach, but we were brought up to only swim in the ocean---so I would not chance it. Also, places like Goddard Park have beaches, but sometimes they are closed down for health reasons. Would you want your kids to swim at a beach that closes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island