U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 PM

14 posts, read 33,204 times

Advertisements

We are going to be relocating to Rhode Island from Massachusetts, and we are looking at some homes in East Greenwich. A couple of them have well water, can someone offer some pros and cons? How often should it be tested? How can you determine if the flow is good enough and what the heck happens if the well runs dry (if they ever do)?

Excuse the newbie questions, but I have absolutely zero experience with wells.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:44 AM

8,486 posts, read 13,363,426 times
Personally, I would avoid well water unless used to water lawns. You need to test at least once a year although many people don't. If the well fails then you have no water. RI has been continuously settled for a long time and was once very industrial- there is no way I would recommend trusting the ground water.

Municipal water supply and connected sewage for me TYVM!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,789,276 times
well water is as good as you want to make it. There are also few areas that give you a choice of well water or city/town water. Well water is perfectly safe. The city areas that were industrialized switched to reservoir water a long time ago. Check to see how old the purifucation system and pumping system is in any home you look at. Also, ask who has been maintaining the system. They will be able to answer any questions about purity, iron(we have a lot of iron in the NW corner of the state) and other problems that they have seen with the water. The iron can cause discoloring in pipes and clothing, but it is very easy to clean out of the water and pressure is also very easy to maintain. The water will always be cold (my water comes from 250 feet below ground) and taste good. Maintanence at least once a year and URI will always check your water for free. Figure with maintanence and salt that you will spend $200-250 a year. This is a lot better than paying monthly/quarterly water bills to your local government or waste water fees to the Narragansett Bay commision. I use my backflushing system to water the garden. IMPORTANT: when the electricity goes off -no water! You will have to learn to fill water bottles in advance of a storm. Doen't happen too frequently, but it is a concern. I use organic fertilizer because I have always had concerns of regular fertilzer leeching into the water, even though I have been told quite often that 250 feet is more than reasonable to filter water between ground level and the water source. I should point out that 25 years ago I knew none of this. At least now I have control of my water, I know what chemicals filter it and I maintain my own pipes rather than relying on city or town water pipes that are decades old.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,259,193 times
Wells in EG? A little too close to Quonset for my liking.

I've had city water and well water... and frankly, I'd stick with city water.

Jamestown has numerous wells and they frequently go temporarily dry.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 AM

570 posts, read 1,254,108 times
In Jamestown our well goes dry occasionally in the summer after a hot spell w no rain, and someone has been watering too much. It's never been a major issue, but has been a general concern in certain neighborhoods. May not be an issue in EG since it is not an island.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 PM

102 posts, read 373,396 times
Well water usage is very common in rural areas all across America. According to the Water Systems Council, in D.C., there are over 45,000 households in Rhode Island which rely upon private well water systems for potable water supply.

Wells are predominant in the hilly, rural area of East Greenwich lying west of Rt.2 Same with western Coventry, West Greenwich, Exeter where the towns require large land area (some five acres) minimum for any new construction. I would suggest you contact a local well water system company which is a member of the Water Systems Council to run a flow test and water quality test on the well as part of your inspection before buying the home.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:01 AM

9,982 posts, read 7,939,329 times
it's really not an issue either way, don't let it impact
your decision on which house to buy. just have electrical
battery backup or generator in place if you have well water
unless you don't mind risking not having water in a power outage.
i remember boiling snow for water during the ice storm.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 PM

14 posts, read 33,204 times
Thanks for the thoughts, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island