U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,084 times

Advertisements

My wife, newborn, dogs and myself are moving to the Providence area this August. We are wondering where to live and could use some help in this area. For the first year we plan on renting (under 1.8k/mo), but we plan on purchasing after the first year (under 350k), so things like safety, schools, tax rates, etc. will be important factors in shaping our decision for a final settlement. If you have any ideas of where we should gravitate towards, it would help us out, as our knowledge of the region is virtually non-existent. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 PM

603 posts, read 1,023,520 times
Quote:
as our knowledge of the region is virtually non-existent.
I'll take it that you have a great employment opportunity? Unfortunately your ignorance of the area, may haunt you and you're family for years to come. Your planning on moving to an area you seem to know nothing about, as you've stated.
You understand Providence is very close to being broke, and the likelihood of higher and higher taxes, and the severe reduction of services are a reality of the future. Safety in the area is swiftly moving from average to below average.

Here's some free advise...visit, for several weeks, see if you envision a future in the area... and rent for a solid 24 months or more, before you subject you and your family to the uncertainty of the area.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,092,376 times
Best school district is East Greenwich. Your budget though won't buy much if it all.

I have one word of advice: Commute!

From Mass or CT doesn't matter which, but you'll be better off.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. When I said we were moving to Providence, I should have said Providence area. I realize that moving to a place that we don't know much about might seem foolish, but my wife and I have lived all over the country and we have a healthy sense of adventure. That aside, our child is our priority, first and foremost. Unfortunately if 350k won't buy us something in East Greenwich, then maybe we need to kick the can down the road to someplace more modest. How about Cranston, RI or Fall River, MA?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 AM

11,115 posts, read 17,771,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringolandia1974 View Post
Thanks for the replies. When I said we were moving to Providence, I should have said Providence area. I realize that moving to a place that we don't know much about might seem foolish, but my wife and I have lived all over the country and we have a healthy sense of adventure. That aside, our child is our priority, first and foremost. Unfortunately if 350k won't buy us something in East Greenwich, then maybe we need to kick the can down the road to someplace more modest. How about Cranston, RI or Fall River, MA?

Please go to the Rhode Island MLS website: www.riliving.com Put in your criteria for a few towns that you can commute to work from and look at the price ranges to buy a home. Prices have come down and with the low interest rates, you should be able to find something in a good area. For $350K you can find a nice home, no doubt about it.

Cumberland, Lincoln, Smithfield, North Smithfield, western Cranston, North Kingstown, West Greenwich, Coventry, parts of Warwick, parts of East Providence (Kent Heights), etc. etc. Fall River MA? (no) If you are considering MA to commute to Prov., then think more along the lines of Seekonk or Rehobeth MA, closer to the RI border. Home prices are higher in MA but taxes and other services are less.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 AM

567 posts, read 1,239,698 times
Geez, what negitivity, the big advisers on this site are currently out of staters, or rural naysayers. Providence is a lovely city, the beautification of the entire downtown is really taking shape; people are friendly, great restaurants, and never do I feel unsafe. It's not like the city is ever going to crumble away. The best neighborhoods hv been mention ad infinitum on this site. I don't know much abt the school districts. Cranston is a busy, densely pop. mix. of new and old. The neighborhoods seem less spacious than those in Prov.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 AM

8,286 posts, read 13,058,169 times
Well said Saltatrix!!

One more neighborhood in the Prov area to look at is Rumford in East Providence- affordable, nice, very safe- $350 would definitely get you a house. 10 min to the East Side. Gov. Francis elementary ranks well.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 9,721 times
Just check out Trulia, $350K will definitely get you a house in E. Greenwich of decent size and some character. Same with places like Lincoln and Barrington that have good school districts. You might need to be flexible on size and some finishes, but there are quality houses in that price range in every town in RI.

And don't bother with Fall River.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:51 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate finally hearing some good news. Seems like every thread I read it full of negativity about RI. I am sure that it has plusses and minuses, but it cannot be all that bad. In the past five years I have lived in NW Ohio and Los Angeles, CA. If these people think that RI has problems, they should try living in either of these areas with the high crime and high unempolyment that both had to offer. I am sure that we will find somewhere good to live in RI, it all just depends on one's perspective.......

Old 05-27-2012, 08:20 AM

603 posts, read 1,023,520 times
Quote:
Seems like every thread I read it full of negativity about RI.
Yea, we're just imagining the problems.
Come on down!
Enjoy the politics, problems and potholes.

Quote:
but it cannot be all that bad
oh noooooooo?. Ask the residents paying taxes in Central Falls, Pawtucket, West Warwick, and Woonsocket.

No no, In all seriousness, you will find a few nice places you will enjoy living in RI. Near the Ocean is nice, or in some of the Rural area's and you're right, no place is all bad, "all in all" you should be safe.

Remember... a place that you enjoy living in, and a place you have a bright future in, are two entirely different things. Unless you're a Policemen, a Fireman, Civil servant, or Politician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island