Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:25 AM

76 posts, read 96,420 times

Advertisements

i am not sure if anyone remembers me, i was here last year trying to get information about where to live in Providence as i was moving into town with my 5 cats for school

well a year later I am currently living in washington park right next to the JWU harborside campus, I am a JWU student. and i have had the bad luck of having some very noisy neighbors move in beneath me in a few months ago with no regards to what time it is.

so i am more then ready to move to a different apartment. either in the washington area or downtown at least for a few months until i find something else. my financial situation has gotten better meaning i will be staying in providence for longer than i thought, also with this change i may be able to afford a car in a few months which means i will be able to find a place on the east side.

i am hoping someone has any suggestions on realtors who are pet friendly and will do their best to help me find a nice place, or home owners who will be kind enough to allow so many cats?
i am hoping to pay tops 1300$ hopefully with the utilities included. i know this is very late in the game in terms of apartment hunting.

the real challenge is finding a place who will take me with 5 cats.
any help would be useful.

please forgive me for the long message and babbling i am very tired and i tend to write alot when i am tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:13 AM

32 posts, read 47,354 times
I recommend getting a cheap used studio monitor and subwoofer, putting them on the floor facing down, download a few gigs of dubstep, and crank that sucker up. At 4 AM.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,611 times
whats up with your neighbors? can't you talk to them? or talk to the landlord?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times
it's easy to find a cheap rental in Providence
even with cats.
Here are 10 who accept cats and range $650-$1095
Providence Apartments For Rent and other Providence Rentals — Trulia.com

if you are going to be driving check out this house cats ok
get the whole house for $800/mo and its very nice inside.
comfortable turn key elmhurst well appointed dormered cape,

Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 PM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
The second listing you posted from Craigslist looked very suspicious to me like it had been copied and pasted- in an incomplete way. It could be one of those classic scams.

Turns out, the house is actually for sale... Riliving

It MIGHT be for rent- although $800 for a house is about half the going rate for a house in that neighborhood- so i tend to doubt it. You have to be very careful with "too good to be true" ads.

Tulia, Zillow, and many of those other ad sites pick up ads that are very out of date. I've had people call me on a house I had for sale 7 years earlier. The ads never go away (even after you cancel them) because they keep getting picked up by new sites.

In general, property taxes and related expenses in RI prohibit landlords form offering cheap rentals unless they are slums or dumps.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 AM

308 posts, read 517,711 times
shameless plug for family, but my cousin owns an agency that also deals with rentals.

New England Group, LLC

Old 08-07-2012, 04:25 PM

76 posts, read 96,420 times
Snowball7- yes, cats are usually okay, one or two even three if one is lucky, however once they hear I have five cats i get the i don't think so. or if i even saw the apartment it's an i don't think i feel comfortable renting with five cats (now try telling them kids, college students or a dog can do more damage than five cats and one very quiet nerdy student.), or we'll call, but they never do. as i had with one apartment i saw that i really loved,

thanks for the links i'll check them out, but sadly i prefer an apartment rather than a house. with a house the price for the heat can go really high.

dgthree thanks for the link, i'll check it out when i'll start looking. i decided to wait until i'll get a car.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 PM

308 posts, read 517,711 times
^good luck on both fronts

Old 08-08-2012, 02:23 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gejufan View Post
Snowball7- yes, cats are usually okay, one or two even three if one is lucky, however once they hear I have five cats i get the i don't think so. or if i even saw the apartment it's an i don't think i feel comfortable renting with five cats (now try telling them kids, college students or a dog can do more damage than five cats and one very quiet nerdy student.), or we'll call, but they never do. as i had with one apartment i saw that i really loved,

thanks for the links i'll check them out, but sadly i prefer an apartment rather than a house. with a house the price for the heat can go really high.

dgthree thanks for the link, i'll check it out when i'll start looking. i decided to wait until i'll get a car.

that's why you always tell them you have one or two.
then, you're within your rights to adopt more unless it's
specified in the lease that you may not.
that is the law.
they cannot enter the premises without advance notice
and you can always say you got more later. (unless they
place a limit on the number). I am 100% serious.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Most landlords are smart enough to put the number of pets allowed into the lease, i.e. one cat OK.

Lying and trying to fool a landlord is bad policy and will come back to bite you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island