U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,658 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I moved to Rhode Island a couple weeks ago. So far, South Kingstown areas (between Wakefield and Narragansett) are very boring for me. I like beaches and everything. But where's the life? I'm from Chicago and San Francisco and been all over. I'm 26 years old and I'm not really big into local bars. But in my opinion, it's just a weird world out here. Life is very slim. You can't find anything to do at all. I guess I just come from a life where neighbors are community, and there's active life all around me. I think I made a mistake choosing southern Rhode Island over Providence to live , not really sure yet. I feel like all there is to do here is watch television or check out some bars. I sure don't feel like driving up to Providence just to have some fun. I'm use to meeting people easily and hanging out with whoever and whenever. I would go to ethnic food places, some dance clubs, concerts, and every coffee house around every corner. I was very involved and road my bike virtually everywhere. That was my previous life in the cities. It was easy to meet girls, easy to meet friends. There was always something to do every night. Someone help me.

Last edited by Daunte; 08-29-2012 at 08:37 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM
 
18,879 posts, read 14,020,993 times
Reputation: 9122
Locally join a church, fitness club or whatever suits your interests and where people go for community. Otherwise, Newport is not far away for the kind of stuff you mentioned previously. That age can be tough anyway as you are beyond the college crowd but not settled in yet. South County is not an urban environment at all, you're not in Kansas anymore...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Rhode Island
8,551 posts, read 13,472,999 times
Reputation: 9089
Surely you knew that URI was a rural campus? You can always transfer to another school. There are many colleges in Boston with urban settings.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 AM
 
Location: chepachet
1,528 posts, read 2,812,950 times
Reputation: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Locally join a church, fitness club or whatever suits your interests and where people go for community. Otherwise, Newport is not far away for the kind of stuff you mentioned previously. That age can be tough anyway as you are beyond the college crowd but not settled in yet. South County is not an urban environment at all, you're not in Kansas anymore...
before you go to Newport, establish residency and get the EZ Pass. The price comes down from $4 to 83 cents each way.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 AM
 
3 posts, read 4,658 times
Reputation: 12
Ya, I definitely made a huge mistake. I was expecting more life. I guess New England in my mind was like shrunken size "New York City" and "Boston," filled with life everywhere. I guess not. I didn't expect so much "country" life in such small states. I didn't realize that Rhode Island was sheltered to the rest of the world. I've seen places in the middle of nowhere, like Arizona and North Dakota. Even the small towns in those places are flowing with different things to do and see. I'm not trying to rip on Rhode Island or anything, because the people are nice. But it's hard as a "foreigner" to fit in here. Life in south county is more "hick" than I ever realized. For some reason, men in their 20s haven't grown out of the "high school prep" stage. I go anywhere and people just stare. People are just happy with the local "sub shop" and what not. They rave like it's the greatest thing, but it's just another sandwich shop. There's much better things out in the real world. Anyway, that's my rant. I like the Rhode Island people though. They're nice, just not very interesting--no offense to anyone. I'm just trying to critically analyze all this. Anyway, now I'm stuck with my lease.

Last edited by Daunte; 08-30-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Rhode Island
8,551 posts, read 13,472,999 times
Reputation: 9089
One of life's little lessons. You can fix it pretty easily- tell yourself you could have done much worse- at least you can experience what a beautiful countryside looks like!!!

Ah, the value of doing one's homework before making a major decision!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Rhode Island
688 posts, read 2,059,722 times
Reputation: 332
If going up to Providence is out I don't think there is much you can do. The only area in RI even remotely close to what you're used to is the East Side in Providence. Sorry, man. Find a girlfriend who lives on the East Side, nudge nudge, wink wink. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 10:11 AM
 
3 posts, read 4,658 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
One of life's little lessons. You can fix it pretty easily- tell yourself you could have done much worse- at least you can experience what a beautiful countryside looks like!!!

Ah, the value of doing one's homework before making a major decision!!!
The truth is I did my homework too. I did all the research. I research about every place before I moved; every time the places had exceeded my expectations by far. Some places were right on. My advice for New England is to experience it first before moving. No one knows truly what it's going to be like until you move. Now I'm stuck in Hollister Hickville. That's a term my Chicago friends had for places like these. I'm just so disappointed. I was expecting my small town experience here to be wonderful and vibrant. What can I do now... I'm stuck.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
 
Location: New York
17 posts, read 63,575 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daunte View Post
Ya, I definitely made a huge mistake. I was expecting more life. I guess New England in my mind was like shrunken size "New York City" and "Boston," filled with life everywhere. I guess not. I didn't expect so much "country" life in such small states. I didn't realize that Rhode Island was sheltered to the rest of the world. I've seen places in the middle of nowhere, like Arizona and North Dakota. Even the small towns in those places are flowing with different things to do and see. I'm not trying to rip on Rhode Island or anything, because the people are nice. But it's hard as a "foreigner" to fit in here. Life in south county is more "hick" than I ever realized. For some reason, men in their 20s haven't grown out of the "high school prep" stage. I go anywhere and people just stare. People are just happy with the local "sub shop" and what not. They rave like it's the greatest thing, but it's just another sandwich shop. There's much better things out in the real world. Anyway, that's my rant. I like the Rhode Island people though. They're nice, just not very interesting--no offense to anyone. I'm just trying to critically analyze all this. Anyway, now I'm stuck with my lease.
Its funny how people look at life. I'm from the NYC area, also lived in Chicagoland for many years, and south county continues to be one of my favorite places of all time. I actually plan on retiring there. IDK maybe its because I live outside NYC but the thought of "lively places" really does nothing for me anymore. I really enjoy the peace and quiet, as well as the beaches, of south county. Lol retirement can't get here fast enough!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM
 
605 posts, read 1,041,779 times
Reputation: 411
Daunte, you simply made a wrong decision. We all do it.
If you ask the property owner/manager if you could perhaps look for someone to assume your lease, maybe you can rectify the problem. I think he or she will understand.
Ya know, it's different strokes for different folks! Many would love to live in South Kingston close to the ocean, etc.

Most of us understand you're not trying to "down" the entire state, and just asking for a few suggestions.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top