U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 AM

6 posts, read 24,388 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

Just found this forum and looks like a great place for help. Looking for recommendations on townships this would help our "google" / Zillow search. Always great to get first hand information. We have lived in our current house for 30 years now in an inland suburban community its time to move back to the ocean 55 and empty nest now...

I still need to work can't retire yet so the Cape is no good. We are OK but not wealthy . Want Beaches, Great community, tennis, Fishing (salt Water) , Golf (novice..). , Pool or nearby lake

Some areas we have thought of but know little about any recommendations appreciated (the research starts). These kind of set our search area.

Wareham Ma ( Buzzards Bay)
Fall River Ma (Narragansett Bay maybe near Newport RI)
Hull/Quincy (Boston Harbor, Quincy Bay)
Marblehead Area
Portsmouth NH (OK have to find a new job to work from here but not impossible)

Any recommendations either actual condominiums to concider or locations (townships for us to "google") much appreciated.

Thank You
Richard and Sharon
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 10:13 AM

100 posts, read 450,025 times
Question "We are OK but not wealthy"

I don't want to pry, but what kind of price range are you looking at? Also, how close to the ocean are looking to get? What kind of work will you we be looking for when you get here?

Of the places you listed, Fall River is the least desirable of the potential location but is easily the most affordable.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:47 AM

dutch10

Thank you for responding its always hard to communicate all the pertinent information so question are good not prying thank you for taking the time to ask

Price:$250K to $350K
Preferable style: Ranch rather than up and down
Ocean: Close enough to walk to or ride a bike to the Beach (the price will limit how close I feel). A marina or a boat ramp near by.
Work: I drive now to work 42 miles looking to keep job (In Marlborough) want to keep drive to 65 miles or less. If all works out I will be able to telecommute 2 days per week within 12 month. We may both decide to switch jobs so for My wife its Teaching and for me it can be anything I may switch career but now its Engineering management medical Instrumentation.
Fall River: Was hoping there were some new developments that I just can not seem to find and is within the 65 miles of where I work.

emilybh

Thank you for the post. Newport may be possible but want to look elsewhere first its is a bit far for where I work at the moment Fall River is possible but as stated in other response it is the least desirable I was hoping there may be some nice new development in Fall river just that I could not find them. Your property looks very nice but for now we are going to try to find a ranch style condominium.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 15,888,632 times
Hey Hardwork,

Don't give up on Newport. It is only about a 1.5 hour commute to Marlborough. To find single level condos or ranch style homes, just go ro Rhode Island Living - Finding your dream home has never been easier! and enter a search for Newport for both condos in your range and single families (or do the same for the towns I'll mention below).

Middletown and Portsmouth would subtract 5minutes and 10 minutes respectively, off of your commute as they are the two towns north of Newport, also on Aquidneck Island. You drive through them to get to Tiverton before you arrive in Fall River.

You also might want to look in Tiverton, since it is RIGHT NEXT to Fall River and parts of it are very nice and the waterfront is very pretty. There are some sections of Tiverton you'll want to avoid due to toxic chemicals that have leached into the ground and have caused cancer in those living in the vicinity and of course, the real estate values have dropped TREMENDOUSLY in that particular area. It would shorten your commute as compared to what it would be from Newport, by about 15 minutes.

The other area you might look would be in North Kingstown, which includes Wickford which is very cute and Saunderstown both which have nice views of Narragansett Bay looking across to Jamestown which is between the mainland and Aquidneck Island.

You could also look in Jamestown but may only find a tiny fixer-upper at the top of your range. It is probably the favorite town in RI to retire to but also the most expensive by far. You'll also find the prettiest waterviews of anywhere in Rhode Island in Jamestown, looking across to Newport. Also, the Island is only 9 miles long and one mile wide so you are never far from the waterfront --- whether its looking south and out to the Atlantic Ocean from Beavertail (one of the oldest, still operating light houses on the east coast) or Fort Wetherhill where you can look across and see where Jackie Onassis spent summers growing up and where she married President Kennedy.

Other towns in RI that would be a closer commute would be East Greenwich; Cranston and Warwick none of which have any beaches of any note or any spectacular views, however parts of these towns lie along the RI shore line. These towns would have much more affordable homes and there are tons of ranch style single family homes there.The water is more polluted up there as well so you'll find swimming not allowed most of the time.

Towns farther away where you might find more house for your money but also REALLY nice beaches (nicer than in Newport) would be Narragansett, Wakefield, South Kingston (where URI is located), Charleston, Westerly. Living in these towns would make your commute more like and hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Last edited by emilybh; 10-07-2007 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-07-2007, 11:58 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,339,530 times
Even though hardwork12 expressed interest in receiving information on specific properties, City Data does not allow real estate advertising or solicitation.

To keep posts within the boundaries of the Terms of Service, please forward any specific recomendations to hardwork12 throught he Direct Message system.

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:32 AM

I prefer generic help information so I can get some help in first isolating areas I can research based on price range and amenities. To isolate to a specific property would be the next step and there are many other ways to get this information once I know what my search criterion should be. I understand as I have been part of and the moderator of other BBS that unless the BBS has a topic for advertising/posting for sale items that such solicitation is usually against the rules.

Cornerguy1

Sorry if I miss stepped....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island