Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,091 times

Advertisements

There was an accident a few weeks ago. Nobody was hurt.
I was charged with failure to yield right of way.
In truth we didn't know what happened for sure. The other driver drove off first and then came back. Scene was not preserved. I was about to come out of parking lot. So I have no speed.
I've mailed the money to the court.
But my court date is in 20th.
Is there a way to get the record removed?
Should I go to court and fight it or is it no use?
I have no record whatsoever.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 03:15 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenV View Post
There was an accident a few weeks ago. Nobody was hurt.
I was charged with failure to yield right of way.
In truth we didn't know what happened for sure. The other driver drove off first and then came back. Scene was not preserved. I was about to come out of parking lot. So I have no speed.
I've mailed the money to the court.
But my court date is in 20th.
Is there a way to get the record removed?
Should I go to court and fight it or is it no use?
I have no record whatsoever.

Thanks
it will effect your insurance rate for 3 years, after that it will remain on your state record but not affect your insurance rates. You have all ready sent in the money(fine?). Why is there still a court date if you paid the fine? Your insurance will pay any damages. Cars on the street always have the right of way and any collision is always at the fault of someone pulling out into traffic from a driveway, parking space or parking lot no matter what the speed. Unfortunately many Rhode Ilsand drivers think it is courteous to stop traffic on the main road and allow someone to pull out. Perhaps that is what you thought the oncoming driver was going to do. .

Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
it will effect your insurance rate for 3 years, after that it will remain on your state record but not affect your insurance rates. You have all ready sent in the money(fine?). Why is there still a court date if you paid the fine? Your insurance will pay any damages. Cars on the street always have the right of way and any collision is always at the fault of someone pulling out into traffic from a driveway, parking space or parking lot no matter what the speed. Unfortunately many Rhode Ilsand drivers think it is courteous to stop traffic on the main road and allow someone to pull out. Perhaps that is what you thought the oncoming driver was going to do. .
Thanks for the reply.
I understand the right of way. But it just feel like I got hit because I have about zero speed and other about 40miles/hr?
Anyways I read about accidents on record affecting the employment and such so I was worried about that. Insurance too of course.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I understand the right of way. But it just feel like I got hit because I have about zero speed and other about 40miles/hr?
Anyways I read about accidents on record affecting the employment and such so I was worried about that. Insurance too of course.
You could try to prove that the driver was excessively speeding, but how? It won't effect your employment. Think of all the repeat DUI's who are still working. Relax and stay low for the next 3 years.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,855 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
Can't give you legal advice on a forum. However, speed is not really the issue here. If you come from a private driveway or parking lot and enter the highway you are required to yield to approaching vehicles on the highway. It doesn't matter if they come zipping by at 40 miles per hour and you carefully leave the parking lot. You have to yield. Your charge stems from Rhode Island General Laws 31-17-5. You also want to read 31-41.1-1 etc. So if this is really something which worries you then you should consult an attorney. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
You could try to prove that the driver was excessively speeding, but how? It won't effect your employment. Think of all the repeat DUI's who are still working. Relax and stay low for the next 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
Can't give you legal advice on a forum. However, speed is not really the issue here. If you come from a private driveway or parking lot and enter the highway you are required to yield to approaching vehicles on the highway. It doesn't matter if they come zipping by at 40 miles per hour and you carefully leave the parking lot. You have to yield. Your charge stems from Rhode Island General Laws 31-17-5. You also want to read 31-41.1-1 etc. So if this is really something which worries you then you should consult an attorney. Good luck.
Thank you both. It makes me feel much better about the issue.
And this forum is surprisingly helpful and prompt on response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island