Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 AM

80 posts, read 184,818 times

Advertisements

I forgot to mention theire are exemptions in some cities in RI for Veterans, Blind individuals, losing a child when a member of the service. You really have to check with each city--- just ask them for a list---it's not a secret ...some still have an exemption for Brown professors....if you're not in any of these categories....still ask, you never know if there is something else you might qualify for.....if anyone else is curious about a particular city....ditto....do your own homework.

The rates on Zillow are correct because they are taken from the property tax rolls---they may not be, and frequently are not, for the current year. Usually, it will tell you what year they were for in the list.
I've checked out 30 houses we looked at, and they were all correct. All it takes is a call to the tax assessors office to get the current tax if you really interested. Mine are over $8,000 a year in North Kingstown, so make sure you check---my hairdressers on the East Side is currently $36,000 per year.......nuts......

I would check before I even looked at a property...unless your funds are unlimited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
As a point of interest- here is the situation for Brown professors...

94-146 (Tax Exemption)

Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM

564 posts, read 1,880,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Funny, I'm the opposite -- I feel very unsafe and very nervous in the suburbs at all times, and perfectly safe on the East Side, or walking downtown, at 1am or 2am. I don't lock my door until bedtime, but then, I have an 87 pound hungry White German Shepherd keeping an eye on things. It's funny how different people react to similar situations.

Too true! I've seen grown men afraid to go into the woods at night, even though there were 30 Boy Scouts unafraid to. It reallly depends on the individual. I've been to a number of cities all over the world and even lived in Manhattan and I hate going to Providence every day. I'm not comfortable in cities, at all.

I feel safe where I live but we have had break ins (neighbors house) and vandalism (other neighbors house). It just takes one bad egg......

Dogs are the best house alarms. My dog has a "rub my belly" bark that will scare anyone and that's all I need, a wake up call....

Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
Too true! I've seen grown men afraid to go into the woods at night, even though there were 30 Boy Scouts unafraid to. It reallly depends on the individual. I've been to a number of cities all over the world and even lived in Manhattan and I hate going to Providence every day. I'm not comfortable in cities, at all.
I'd be terrified of the woods at night -- and not especially thrilled during the day. I'm not big on flora and fauna, like they have in the suburbs. Central Park is the exception: at night it has magic. My idea of a large body of water is Central Park Lake. Prospect Park is about as close to nature as I care to get. Plus I view the world as a pedestrian, as I don't/won't drive a car. All of those suburban multilane roads are totally pedestrian unfriendly: few crosswalks, even less sidewalks. Cars and trucks zipping along at 50 or 60 mph scare me. To say nothing of the hideous roar of lawn devices trimming grass, a plant that is an invasive species to me.

Michelangelo put it best when he wrote, "I find no salvation in nature: it is cities above all I love best."

Quote:
Dogs are the best house alarms. My dog has a "rub my belly" bark that will scare anyone and that's all I need, a wake up call....
My very large White German Shepherd is a Manhattan dog and she's great around people, if a bit wolfishly intimidating, outside. Come near my apartment door and her attitude changes dramatically.

I don't begrudge people for liking to live in single family houses with lots of land, like a quarter acre or so, or more, but the lack of people-density, the lack of a streetscape is just alien and creepy to me, as I've lived my entire life in cities.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 03-01-2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
As a point of interest- here is the situation for Brown professors...

94-146 (Tax Exemption)
That isn't the whole story, Brown is still being hypocritical !
see here:
GoLocalProv | News | PART TWO INVESTIGATION: Legal Loophole Saves Brown Millions in Taxes

Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I'm afraid the story you cite is out of date. You do know about the voluntary tax agreements made in May of 2012? There now about 4 universities that have come to tax agreements.

Kindly do not assume I'm defending Brown in any way however. I think they should pay more and also quit being allowed to demolish residential buildings, like the recent development involving new apartments.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 9,310 times
Default Edgewood is great

i have lived in edgewood for 22 years. a little pricey, but well worth it. very low crime, especially the south end of edgewood. obviously the closer to south providence, the more dangerous it gets. anything near the park is a safe bet, or down broad street towards warwick. i highly recommend it. and a quick drive to downtown providence! also, the schools are quality!

Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 PM

6 posts, read 9,310 times
additionally, it's got that great middle ground between urban and suburban. not busy by any means, but not quiet and secluded.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM

76 posts, read 96,470 times
I live in Edgewood, near the JWU harborside campus.
in all honesty it is not that bad of a place, if you keep close to JWU and away from Broad you are good, and as someone said you get someplace south of state st. you'll do good.
have you considered pawtuxet (sp?) village? i heard it's very good and safe. don't know about the school system there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island