Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,986 times

Advertisements

Folks from CA, CT, MA, and NJ are much more likely to relocate to other states than Rhode Islanders.

Most Rhode Islanders never move out of RI. Additionally, the vast majority of Rhode Islanders haven't spent enough time elsewhere to properly gauge whether or not the grass is greener someplace else. And believe you me, the grass is greener in many other places.

Folks from other states in Northeast are much more worldly than Rhode Islanders; many have traveled all over the U.S. and the world. At least that's true of the people I know from other Northeastern states such as CT, MA, NJ, NY, PA, etc.

Most of the Met Life employees who chose to relocate to NC as part of the corporate relocation will be from CA, CT, MA, and NJ. The RI office will have the lowest proportion or percentage of employees who end up moving. I bet there will be less than 25 Rhode Islanders who relocate to NC.

On the other hand, people over on the CT forum generally seem more keen on relocating to NC along with their positions than people on the RI forum. However, I knew that would be the case.

On a different note, it's only a matter of time before Amica relocates to Sugar Land, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Stop with the Olive Garden and Red Lobster comments, please. They're getting really annoying.

By the way, Florida is NOT the South.

Spend a week in Boca, why don't ya?

Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 AM

55 posts, read 86,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Folks from CA, CT, MA, and NJ are much more likely to relocate to other states than Rhode Islanders.

Most Rhode Islanders never move out of RI. Additionally, the vast majority of Rhode Islanders haven't spent enough time elsewhere to properly gauge whether or not the grass is greener someplace else. And believe you me, the grass is greener in many other places.

Folks from other states in Northeast are much more worldly than Rhode Islanders; many have traveled all over the U.S. and the world. At least that's true of the people I know from other Northeastern states such as CT, MA, NJ, NY, PA, etc.

Most of the Met Life employees who chose to relocate to NC as part of the corporate relocation will be from CA, CT, MA, and NJ. The RI office will have the lowest proportion or percentage of employees who end up moving. I bet there will be less than 25 Rhode Islanders who relocate to NC.

On the other hand, people over on the CT forum generally seem more keen on relocating to NC along with their positions than people on the RI forum. However, I knew that would be the case.

On a different note, it's only a matter of time before Amica relocates to Sugar Land, IMO.
I do think some RIers can be considered "not worldy" but that's changing. Most of my older relatives don't leave the state, but that's not so with the approx 45 and younger crowd. Most of my younger friends are much more open and I know many home grown RIers who now live or work out of state. I think also the state of the RI economy is forcing people to change.

Back several years ago, WHJY had a contest for RIers who have never left the state to take them on a road trip throughout New England. It was quite funny. But, times are changing.

I remember when Providence Place Mall opened. People thought most RIers would not drive to Providence to go to a mall and pay to park. That was an incorrect assumption and the mall is extremely successful.

There are hundreds of MetLife jobs in Warwick affected and I know personally far more than 25 are considering relocation. A good number of them are under age 50, but not all.

A couple of my friends who both live and work in Warwick know that when their Met job ends, they'll have to go outside the city limits for work.

I didn't know about Amica possibly moving, too. Good to know, thanks.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Stop with the Olive Garden and Red Lobster comments, please. They're getting really annoying.

By the way, Florida is NOT the South.

Spend a week in Boca, why don't ya?
FL is three different states. The further North you go, the further South you get! If you're telling me that the Panhandle ain't the South (where they sell Confederate Flags, Gator Meat and banjos) - you got another thing coming!

And whenever I visit my parents in Dade City (Central FL), there's a rattlesnake festival and they serve fried green tomatoes!

FL ain't just Boca, Tampa and Miami!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
FL ain't just Boca, Tampa and Miami!
I agree with you: there's so much more to FL than Boca, Tampa, and Miami.

However, most people who live in FL live in South FL, Tampa Bay, and Greater Orlando. There are more people who live in Miami-Dade County than who live in entire the Panhandle. Chances are, if you meet someone from FL, they live in one of those three regions.

None of those areas are by any means "Southern."

Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
OK but you said FL is not the South. Ignoring the nearly half a million people living in the Panhandle is OK in that analysis? And there's tons of "South" in the rural parts of Central Florida between Orlando and Tampa.

Plus the whole thing is moot because it's not like I haven't been all over the South or have no idea what Southern Culture is haha

Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM

564 posts, read 1,880,078 times
It's my understanding that Met life is basically making lots of folks reapply for their jobs down in NC. Meaning they will likely get offers at a lower pay scale. And part of the deal with NC is to "create" jobs down there, so the letting go and reapplying probably fulfills that on a technocality.

At Met (and lots of other places like it) youll have some one at their job for 25 years or more. they may be doing a job that any recent college grad would take, but they're happy doing it, they like the compney, their coworkers, and the job. But the employer is paying them 50% more than they could pay Sally I Just Graduated.

I may have said in this thread that Fidelity s notorious for doing that. Providence to Merrimack, Merrimack to Salt Lake...etc.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 PM

367 posts, read 545,649 times
"Folks from CA, CT, MA, and NJ are much more likely to relocate to other states than Rhode Islanders.

Most Rhode Islanders never move out of RI. Additionally, the vast majority of Rhode Islanders haven't spent enough time elsewhere to properly gauge whether or not the grass is greener someplace else...

Folks from other states in Northeast are much more worldly than Rhode Islanders; many have traveled all over the U.S. and the world."

This is actually very true. I'm not saying this to slam Rhode Island (as I'm from there and still enjoy visiting as often as possible), but many natives just aren't inclined to visit other areas because they feel there isn't any other place worth exploring. My own relatives are a testament to that. Only one has made it out to visit me in any of the other states I've ever lived. Several of them haven't even been to Cape Cod and it's only about an hour drive from Providence to the beginning of the Cape at Cape Cod Canal!

I honestly don't understand why this sentiment exists so strongly here. I'm not sure if it's because RI is so small and it's easy to explore the entire state without traveling too far compared to other places, or if there is some other underlying factor. I'm still trying to figure it out, but it's an unfortunate mentality to have. I learned long ago that there is no one "best" place and that all areas have their pluses and minuses. If people would be more open-minded, they'd find at least one positive aspect of just about anyplace.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 AM

55 posts, read 86,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
It's my understanding that Met life is basically making lots of folks reapply for their jobs down in NC. Meaning they will likely get offers at a lower pay scale. And part of the deal with NC is to "create" jobs down there, so the letting go and reapplying probably fulfills that on a technocality.
This is correct. Anyone Exec VP and lower (99.9% of us) all have to reapply for our NC jobs - jobs we have done for 20, 30, 40 years or more. Even if you are an employee with excellent reviews and outstanding in every way, you still have to reapply. It's very discouraging.

It's pretty clear that they don't want most of us down in NC. They can get lower paid workers that they can shape and mold any way they want. The new NC workers won't have the 3-6 weeks vacation we old timers have. It'll be a huge savings for the company to hire mostly NC people - from benefits, vacation, 401k, pension, etc. We all see the writing on the wall and know the # of current employees that will be rehired in NC will be low, especially due to the fact the NC governor promised a certain # or % of jobs to NC locals.

If you are "lucky" enough to get rehired in NC, you will likely take a pay cut or be stuck at your same salary for a long time. That may be ok for some people, like those who want to move down south anyway. But considering raises at Met have been frozen or low for a long time, our salaries are in no way keeping up with the cost of living.

For the people I know, about 20-30% are considering relocation. MetLife says they "expect" they will only get 15-20%...or do they mean they will only rehire that %? Who knows at this point.

I'm just glad to be moving on, that's all I can say.

Last edited by mb2004; 03-30-2013 at 08:20 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
A high percentage of the NC "locals" will not be native North Carolinians. There are so many people who are already in the CLT and Raleigh/Durham areas who are from the north and the midwest, they will make up the largest number getting hired; and, since they have been there awhile, they are already comfortable with the lower cost of living and comp salaries.

Don't forget, RI is not the only state relocating workers. There are four other states in the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island