Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:36 PM

55 posts, read 86,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
So have you decided what you will do yet? Are you willing to move?
Thanks for asking. I'm probably not going to relocate, since my spouse's job is locked in here and we have some family commitments that must keep us here in the Northeast for the next 5 years. I will get a generous severance package, so I'm very grateful for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2004 View Post
Thanks for asking. I'm probably not going to relocate, since my spouse's job is locked in here and we have some family commitments that must keep us here in the Northeast for the next 5 years. I will get a generous severance package, so I'm very grateful for that.
Well, that's good. I'm sure we all wish you well in finding new employment.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 PM

55 posts, read 86,811 times
CaseyB, thanks so much!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Because I don't take it personally?
This has nothing to do with personal. It has to do with what should and should not be tolerated, particularly in the context of persistent behavior. But I guess when certain folks are asleep at the switch, or perhaps excessively subjective, these nuances are easier to miss.

Last edited by Rnrboy; 03-13-2013 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBones66 View Post
I have heard that Met Life is a wonderful company to work for. They are known for not applying double standards, and I have heard that their higher ups never go on capricious power trips where they censure their employees without cause. What a company!
Heh heh

Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 AM

108 posts, read 181,787 times
Some great news on the job front! I know this string was pretty contentious but i am firmly on the side of "pro-RI". Sure, the state has it's issues but i have seen first hand a TON of new business downtown Providence and in the state in general. All the bad news is always the press grabbers but here's an example of new jobs coming to the state via existing business expansion...a net gain of 175 new jobs.

I work for a small private company and in the past ~7 years we have grown from ~15-20 employees to 50+. Sure, it's not the most rapid pace in the world but it's steady, solid, smart growth. I see this with a lot of other companies too. The base of smaller private companies growing is surprisingly good in RI.

Anyways, below is the story that i wanted to share.

Large Data Center to Set Up Shop in Pawtucket Bringing 250 Jobs | Rhode Island Public Radio
Large Data Center to Set Up Shop in Pawtucket Bringing 250 Jobs

Tweet

0 Comments and 0 Reactions
Print

By Flo Jonic
A company that makes emergency response devices for the sick and elderly has announced plans to open a major operations center in Pawtucket. The move means 175 new jobs for the Ocean State.

Tunstall America, a provider of health care communications devices, is closing its Cranston call center and moving it to Pawtucket where it will be expanded from 75 to 250 employees. Tunstall America company spokeswoman Sarah Turner says they’re re-locating their data center from New York to Rhode Island in the process.
“Rhode Island’s a great place to be. We’ve really enjoyed working there and there’s great people there,” says Turner. “And so when it came to selecting a venue for our new location there really was no competition.”
The company plans to set up shop in a former Pawtucket bank. It will open April 16th.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. news@ripr.org

Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Right PVDJames, let's balance the news. It's not all doom and gloom....

New England Tech gets $2.5 million to open shipbuilding, advance manufacturing institute | Business | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal

Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 AM

4,385 posts, read 3,191,670 times
Wow, I hadn't heard this.

This is funny to me because my brother-in-law worked for Met Life for years and a two years ago, he and my sister moved to Charlotte so he could transfer to a job in their Charlotte office. They missed RI so much that they moved back before the year was up. He thought he wanted to retire down there and this was to be his first step towards that; instead they put their money into buying a boat in RI, and they figure that's how they'll enjoy retirement....

Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I have to get in on this debate. As a native of Charlotte, NC, you are not missing anything.Charlotte is a very conservative city, with many people who have adopted backward ways of thinking. Face it...the city is fickle at best...Definitely caters to married people....not enough to do for singles. Truly lacks diversity. I mean really, when people come to Charlotte what is it for them to do.....Zilch. The city is void of culture and diversity. Where are the plethora of downtown cafes, downtown shopping, all night coffeehouses/ lounges of different genres...Its not here in Charlotte.
Lots of Starbucks When I visited my sister who lived just outside Charlotte in the suburbs, I couldn't get over how each shopping plaza looked exactly like the one a mile away, and they all had Starbucks. Everything brand new and identikit - what did they do to the older buildings, just tear them down and start again? Maybe this plaza had a Five Guys and that one had an Olive Garden but not much different beyond that.

I guess most people would like that everything was new and shiny, but it freaked me out.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Obviously MET LIFE has it figured out precisely, and what their business decision means to the company and their bottom line. There are four other states involved in this MET LIFE decision to relocate.
As a taxpayer, how do you feel about paying the bribe for them to move to NC?

It would **** me off - just as all the tax credits we were handing out during the Renaissance pissed me off. For every corporate tax break, that's a middle class taxpayer who has to pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island