Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 PM

564 posts, read 1,879,962 times

Advertisements

LOL you remind me exactly of the leftist stooges I chatted with in college. As I said, I've had this conversation before.....

aaaaaahhhhhhhh lazy, Huh? Not mature or sophisticated? Well you certainly have your little commie agitator lingo down pat. When all else fails assail the credibility of the opponent through ridicule. Alinsky, IIRC, was particularly adept at ingraining this tactic into the dialectic. Abby Hoffman was good at that, too....LOL OTOH he was fun to drink with. He couldn't get me to drink the kool-aid you are swimming in, though...haha

As I said, we really have nothing to say to each other. I'm sure you'll wave a red banner and declare victory...yawn.

from wikipedia (I hope the quotes don't violate the C-D TOS) because I'm not mature or sophisticated, but from the top of my old, feeble Libertarian non pot smoking head.-

GI Bill-

"The veterans' organizations mobilized support in Congress that rejected FDR's approach and provided benefits only to veterans of military service, including men and women. Ortiz says their efforts "entrenched the VFW and the Legion as the twin pillars of the American veterans' lobby for decades."[4]
Harry W. Colmery, a former national commander of the American Legion and former Republican National Chairman, is credited for writing the first draft of the G.I. Bill.[5][6] He reportedly jotted down his ideas on stationery and a napkin at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington, DC.[6] U.S. Senator Ernest McFarland, D-Arizona, was actively involved in the bill's passage and is known, with Warren Atherton, as one of the "fathers of the G.I. Bill." One might then term Edith Nourse Rogers, R-Mass, who helped write and who co-sponsored the legislation, as the "mother of the G.I. Bill".[citation needed] Like Colmery, her contribution to writing and passing this legislation has been obscured by time.[7]
The bill was introduced in the House on January 10, 1944, and in the Senate, the following day, both chambers approved their own versions of the bill.[5]"

Civil Rights Act-

Act of 1957-

SenatorStrom Thurmond of South Carolina, an ardent segregationist, sustained the longest one-person filibuster in history in an attempt to keep the bill from becoming law. His one-man filibuster lasted 24 hours and 18 minutes; he began with readings of every state'selection laws in alphabetical order. Thurmond later read from the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, and George Washington's Farewell Address. His speech set the record for a Senate filibuster.[2] The bill passed the House with a vote of 285 to 126 (Republicans 167-19 for, Democrats 118-107 for) [3] and the Senate 72 to 18 (Republicans 43-0 for, Democrats 29-18 for).[4] President Eisenhower [Republican] signed it on September 9, 1957.

Act of 1960-

The Senate's Judiciary Committee also faced attempts to dislodge the bill. Southern Democrats had long acted as a voting block to resist or reject legislation to enforce constitutional rights in the South and made it difficult for proponents of civil rights to add strengthening amendments.[6] After amendments in the Senate, H.R. 8601 was approved by the Senate on April 8, 1960 by a vote of 71-18.
The House of Representatives approved the Senate amendments on April 21, 1960 by a vote of 295-288 and the bill was signed into law by President Dwight D. Eisenhower [Republican] on May 6, 1960.[7] No Republican Senators voted against the Bill.

Act of 1964-

The original House version:[16]
  • Democratic Party: 152–96 (61–39%)
  • Republican Party: 138–34 (80–20%)
Cloture in the Senate:[17]
  • Democratic Party: 44–23 (66–34%)
  • Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)
The Senate version:[16]
  • Democratic Party: 46–21 (69–31%)
The Senate version, voted on by the House:[16]
  • Democratic Party: 153–91 (63–37%)
  • Republican Party: 136–35 (80–20%)
Most Democrats from the Southern states opposed the bill and led an unsuccessful 83-day filibuster, including Senators Albert Gore, Sr. (D-TN), J. William Fulbright (D-AR), and Robert Byrd (D-WV), who personally filibustered for 14 hours straight."

END CITE

<sigh>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Since RI has little leverage, should we imitate Delaware and abolish the corporate income tax? What if re-use of existing buildings could be tied into it so there wasn't as much need for additional building sprawl??

Old 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times
LOL you remind me exactly of the leftist stooges I chatted with in college. As I said, I've had this conversation before.....

aaaaaahhhhhhhh lazy, Huh? Not mature or sophisticated? Well you certainly have your little commie agitator lingo down pat.

Didn't take much to get your true colors to come out. Yeah. I'm a communist Fema-Death Camp organizer dude. I have a feeling that college for you was a little while ago.

Now I remember why I was taking a break from this website.

By the way, you do understand what happened to both Parties after 1963 right? Are you one of these jackasses who pretends Lincoln is just like today's Republicans? The Southern Democrats became what is today's modern Republican Party because of the Civil Rights Act. Byrd was a major exception to the rule. (And a former KKK member.) The Northern Democrats largely resembled the Party of today.

After the Civil Rights Act, all these Southerners scurried into the Republican Party, and to this very day make up the bulk of the party. In fact, there wouldn't be a Republican Party without them! They're the base!

And which Party today wants to cut Veteran's Benefits, and which Party defends it? Hhhhmmm....here's something a little more recent:

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=2&vote=00137

Now please show how little you know about Medicare, Social Security, and everything else you completely ignored in that Wikipedia-fueled post.

Last edited by Rnrboy; 03-20-2013 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 02:21 PM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Why don't we stay on the thread subject?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times
OK, I'm done.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
I'd hesitate to call it welfare, the state isn't giving them money, it's just taking less of what they could. And the state is, at least, getting something in return, in the form of taxable income, etc. Although I do understand that the term "corporate welfare" is applied to scenarios like this....I think it's deliberately misleading. Plenty of states subsidize companies (38 Studios?). To me that's welfare.

That being said, it's a dick move on CVS's part. Nice their CEO makes 18 mil a year....

OTOH, CVS could easily move a few miles north into Massachusetts and RI could drive away another business. It's a tough call....is the net result better with CVS here or without?

I'd say with.......
Corporations squeeze the last penny out of states these days. It'd be nice to tell CVS to shove it where the sun don't shine, but I fear they'd pack up and go to, you know, charming North Carolina.

It's a vexing problem.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM

5,189 posts, read 6,139,618 times
It is definitely a slippery slope.....the competition amongst states is fierce. CT has paid dearly over the years to keep Pratt and Whitney.....SC courted Boeing heavily. Our local paper today has a company asking for over 1.75 mil in incentives for 300 jobs. Smaller cities and towns lose out by not being able to offer incentives.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Since RI has little leverage, should we imitate Delaware and abolish the corporate income tax? What if re-use of existing buildings could be tied into it so there wasn't as much need for additional building sprawl??
Well, Delaware is not only attractive to corporations due to a lack of corporate income tax. There's also the Delaware Court of Chancery and its body of law as well as a huge laundry list of other fun laws we won't get easily passed in RI. These corporate goodies won't be created over night or even months/years. We're talking decades. Furthermore, since Corporations can have places of business in states different from the state they're incorporated in, there would be really not much of an incentive for them to incorporate in RI. They'll stay in Delaware.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post

aaaaaahhhhhhhh lazy, Huh? Not mature or sophisticated? Well you certainly have your little commie agitator lingo down pat. When all else fails assail the credibility of the opponent through ridicule. Alinsky, IIRC, was particularly adept at ingraining this tactic into the dialectic. Abby Hoffman was good at that, too....LOL OTOH he was fun to drink with. He couldn't get me to drink the kool-aid you are swimming in, though...haha

As I said, we really have nothing to say to each other. I'm sure you'll wave a red banner and declare victory...yawn.

from wikipedia (I hope the quotes don't violate the C-D TOS) because I'm not mature or sophisticated, but from the top of my old, feeble Libertarian non pot smoking head.-

GI Bill-

"The veterans' organizations mobilized support in Congress that rejected FDR's approach and provided benefits only to veterans of military service, including men and women. Ortiz says their efforts "entrenched the VFW and the Legion as the twin pillars of the American veterans' lobby for decades."[4]
Harry W. Colmery, a former national commander of the American Legion and former Republican National Chairman, is credited for writing the first draft of the G.I. Bill.[5][6] He reportedly jotted down his ideas on stationery and a napkin at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington, DC.[6] U.S. Senator Ernest McFarland, D-Arizona, was actively involved in the bill's passage and is known, with Warren Atherton, as one of the "fathers of the G.I. Bill." One might then term Edith Nourse Rogers, R-Mass, who helped write and who co-sponsored the legislation, as the "mother of the G.I. Bill".[citation needed] Like Colmery, her contribution to writing and passing this legislation has been obscured by time.[7]
The bill was introduced in the House on January 10, 1944, and in the Senate, the following day, both chambers approved their own versions of the bill.[5]"

Civil Rights Act-

Act of 1957-

SenatorStrom Thurmond of South Carolina, an ardent segregationist, sustained the longest one-person filibuster in history in an attempt to keep the bill from becoming law. His one-man filibuster lasted 24 hours and 18 minutes; he began with readings of every state'selection laws in alphabetical order. Thurmond later read from the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, and George Washington's Farewell Address. His speech set the record for a Senate filibuster.[2] The bill passed the House with a vote of 285 to 126 (Republicans 167-19 for, Democrats 118-107 for) [3] and the Senate 72 to 18 (Republicans 43-0 for, Democrats 29-18 for).[4] President Eisenhower [Republican] signed it on September 9, 1957.

Act of 1960-

The Senate's Judiciary Committee also faced attempts to dislodge the bill. Southern Democrats had long acted as a voting block to resist or reject legislation to enforce constitutional rights in the South and made it difficult for proponents of civil rights to add strengthening amendments.[6] After amendments in the Senate, H.R. 8601 was approved by the Senate on April 8, 1960 by a vote of 71-18.
The House of Representatives approved the Senate amendments on April 21, 1960 by a vote of 295-288 and the bill was signed into law by President Dwight D. Eisenhower [Republican] on May 6, 1960.[7] No Republican Senators voted against the Bill.

Act of 1964-

The original House version:[16]
  • Democratic Party: 152–96 (61–39%)
  • Republican Party: 138–34 (80–20%)
Cloture in the Senate:[17]
  • Democratic Party: 44–23 (66–34%)
The Senate version:[16]
  • Democratic Party: 46–21 (69–31%)
The Senate version, voted on by the House:[16]
  • Democratic Party: 153–91 (63–37%)
  • Republican Party: 136–35 (80–20%)
Most Democrats from the Southern states opposed the bill and led an unsuccessful 83-day filibuster, including Senators Albert Gore, Sr. (D-TN), J. William Fulbright (D-AR), and Robert Byrd (D-WV), who personally filibustered for 14 hours straight."

END CITE

<sigh>
Pretty clear that you know nothing about the modern-day Democratic Party, or the GOP..

Today's GOP woud love Strom Thurmond..

This is what happens when you fill up with Faux News on a daily basis..

Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
CVS is not making friends among its employees either apparently....

CVS Pharmacy Wants Workers' Health Information, or They'll Pay a Fine | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island