Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Delaware Becomes 11th State to Vote for Gay Equality

Next up, Minnesota! The tide, my friends, is turning!
That's the thing. They've lost the culture war anyway. I know that being gay you feel the sting of their ignorance more acutely, and I fully understand. But the main front against the wingnuts now is the economic arena.

When it comes to social issues, they're largely arguing with themselves in the vestiges of an imagined World that no longer exists. (And in many ways never truly did since it relied largely on oppressing others who, at the time, had to live in the shadows out of pure fear.) The fact that some people can't figure out that there are not more gays now, but more "out of the closet" gays now is both funny and sad.

What's even more laughable is that someone would liken this disgusting social subjugation to Roger Williams as opposed to the Puritans.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
That's the thing. They've lost the culture war anyway. I know that being gay you feel the sting of their ignorance more acutely, and I fully understand.
Actually, I don't feel a "sting" from their ignorance, I feel sorry for them and for the nation, as they are holding us back. I mean, how do you solve stupidity?

Quote:
But the main front against the wingnuts now is the economic arena.
Agreed, and we've seen how successful the extremist GOP has been in nullifying Obama's plans. More America Hating.

Quote:
When it comes to social issues, they're largely arguing with themselves in the vestiges of an imagined World that no longer exists. (And in many ways never truly did since it relied largely on oppressing others who, at the time, had to live in the shadows out of pure fear.) The fact that some people can't figure out that there are not more gays now, but more "out of the closet" gays now is both funny and sad.
You're exactly right - the extremists have lost the culture wars and they know it. America has moved on. Whether civil rights or gay quality, the arc is bending towards the progressive middle.

Quote:
What's even more laughable is that someone would liken this disgusting social subjugation to Roger Williams as opposed to the Puritans.
I still can't figure that one out and the concerned poster never responds to my factual posts -- I guess some people like to spout off more than they like to have an honest, logical, fact-based discussion.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island