Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:36 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The General Assembly has approved legislation barring municipalities from banning certain breeds of dogs or cats.

“Years ago it was German Shepherds that were ‘bad’ dogs. Then it was Dobermans, then Rottweilers and today it is Pit Bulls,” said Rep. Thomas A. Palangio, sponsor of the House legislation. “No specific breed of dog is intrinsically bad or vicious or dangerous. It is the owners or handlers than can make a certain dog vicious, but entire breeds of dogs should not be outlawed based on the way some of them are trained.”

According to Sen. Frank A. Ciccone III, cities and towns should focus on punishing abusive owners rather than blaming the animal.

“People do get attacked by dogs, which is very unfortunate and I, like every other citizens, would like to see that never happen,” said Ciccone. “But it is unfair to blame the animal. Municipalities should, instead, target the people who mistreat their pets, or purposely make them vicious.”

The legislation will now make its way to the governor’s desk for final approval. If enacted, the law would take effect immediately.

A ban on pit bull ownership has been in effect in Pawtucket since 2004. Central Falls currently bans its residents from owning Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers.
cite: GoLocalProv | Politics | RI State Report: Pro-Life Plates + 10-Cent Sakonnet Toll

I don't know. I have a German Shepherd and it's a fine, trustworthy dog. But Pit Bulls? They scare me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Once again, our legislators fiddle while Rome burns.....

When will we ever see significant reforms?? Do dogs vote? That would explain quite a bit.....

Old 07-10-2013, 03:42 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
What you should do is to ban people on public assistance, or live in public housing, or affordable housing units, or even receiving vouchers for section 8 from keeping any kind of dogs or cats (or any kind of pet). The money from the public aid is meant for them to feed and clothe their families, not to be used on dogs or cats, which are relative luxuries. This will also address the issue of certain people who breed certain dogs for illegal activities (like dog fights). The poor dogs are always caught in the middle and they suffer the most.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Once again, our legislators fiddle while Rome burns.....

When will we ever see significant reforms?? Do dogs vote? That would explain quite a bit.....
Or a bite.

I'm waiting for the repeal on dog walking, myself.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
What you should do is to ban people on public assistance, or live in public housing, or affordable housing units, or even receiving vouchers for section 8 from keeping any kind of dogs or cats (or any kind of pet). The money from the public aid is meant for them to feed and clothe their families, not to be used on dogs or cats, which are relative luxuries. This will also address the issue of certain people who breed certain dogs for illegal activities (like dog fights). The poor dogs are always caught in the middle and they suffer the most.
How generous of you.

So far as I know, food stamps don't pay for dog food. Nothing like blaming the poor for the ills of our greater society.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:17 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
But Pit Bulls? They scare me.
Some of my friends have Pit Bulls. These are familys with children that pile into the SUV with the dog and go on a family trip....not the type to clip the ears and tail and put a spike collar on the dog. Some of the most gentle dogs I know.

My sister has a Cane Corso show dog. Similar to a Pit Bull, but about 160 lbs so it's actually a bit bigger. The dog wouldn't hurt a fly and we have dozens of photos showing the dog sleeping next to a baby, or my sisters 9 pound Pomeranian

I'm not a dog person myself, but have seen plenty of examples of bad owners vs bad dogs. It's the same with children. Some people raise their kids to be kind, nice human beings. Some people just let their kids grown up and do whatever they want with no recourse or encourage bad behavioirs

Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Some of my friends have Pit Bulls. These are familys with children that pile into the SUV with the dog and go on a family trip....not the type to clip the ears and tail and put a spike collar on the dog. Some of the most gentle dogs I know.

My sister has a Cane Corso show dog. Similar to a Pit Bull, but about 160 lbs so it's actually a bit bigger. The dog wouldn't hurt a fly and we have dozens of photos showing the dog sleeping next to a baby, or my sisters 9 pound Pomeranian

I'm not a dog person myself, but have seen plenty of examples of bad owners vs bad dogs. It's the same with children. Some people raise their kids to be kind, nice human beings. Some people just let their kids grown up and do whatever they want with no recourse or encourage bad behavioirs
I know what you're saying. My dog trainer swears by the fidelity of pit pulls, but they still scare me. Maybe it's just me.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:55 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I know what you're saying. My dog trainer swears by the fidelity of pit pulls, but they still scare me. Maybe it's just me.
Problem is when someone wants a "tough dog" or an "attack dog" they go and get a pit bull. They want a dog for the wrong reasons and are probably going to be a terrible dog owner no matter what and then they gravitate to one particular breed. Bad dog owners like a particular breed, but it doesn't make that breed bad.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,197,140 times
But there are plenty of stories of "nice" pit bulls who were never bred to fight or be aggressive, but who bit some kid in their family. ANY dog will bite when it feels threatened or antagonized. I've seen the mildest mannered Labrador retriever turn and snap at a kid pulling her tail. And certain breeds tend to be more high strung or more protective. The problem is, pit bulls are powerful strong dogs who clamp on and don't let go. That doesn't make them bad, it's just their genetic makeup. Lions aren't bad either, but I wouldn't have one in my home. It's not a moral judgment of the animal. There's a reason that pit bulls are bred for fighting; they happen to be built for it and good at it.

Sure, chances are, it will all work out ok if you get a pit bull - it does for the vast majority of pit bull owners. But why take that chance when there are other more docile, harmless dogs around? Why not go for the lower risk, just like you wouldn't buy the jeep with the rollover risk if you had kids.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:10 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
"So far as I know, food stamps don't pay for dog food. Nothing like blaming the poor for the ills of our greater society."..

Silly, you don't need to feed any dog "dog food". They are perfectly happy eating people food. Until people stop sidestepping the real issue of poverty and the types of people who are strongly associated with both poverty and raising "tough" dogs, the problem will persist. Since the pit bull is built so powerfully, they are very often chosen by these people to be their "tough" dogs. I am all for focusing on the people who raise these vicious dogs than on banning and persecute the dog breed itself. You know as well as I do what the real issue is....by being PC, you are actually allowing the problem to persist, and for these otherwise fine dogs to suffer.

By the way, I see "tough" dudes walking their pit bulls around the housing complexes in and around Boston all the time. This is a big problem in Boston area. I am a big dog lover and I volunteer at the Milton and Quincy (MA) shelters....you wont believe how many pit bulls are abandoned in the city of Boston and the MSPCA of Boston has to ask neighboring shelters like the ones in Milton (butts up to Mattapan) and Quincy (butts up to Dorchester) to take in many of these pit bull overflows. They are great dogs, but the ones I see are horribly abused and very wary of people, and they all come from Mattapan and Dorchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island