Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 04:49 PM

157 posts, read 306,140 times

Advertisements

When I lived in RI I was totally into the New England ghost stories, all the mystical stores we had, knew a few people who were into paganism, etc. I thought I'd heard every ghost story, but not the one that this new movie "The Conjuring" is based on. It's said to have happened in the late 1970s. So I'm kind of amazed I heard about the Vampire's Grave in Coventry a billion times but never heard this one.

Question: who has heard the story or knew of what was happening there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Patrizio View Post
When I lived in RI I was totally into the New England ghost stories, all the mystical stores we had, knew a few people who were into paganism, etc. I thought I'd heard every ghost story, but not the one that this new movie "The Conjuring" is based on. It's said to have happened in the late 1970s. So I'm kind of amazed I heard about the Vampire's Grave in Coventry a billion times but never heard this one.

Question: who has heard the story or knew of what was happening there?
I had never heard of the story either, and I'm old enough to remember the 70s firsthand! My mom used to follow any RI ghost story, and she hadn't heard it either - but isn't the story that they kept it quiet for years, so they could sell the house or something?

By the way, I hope you do know that Vampires Grave isn't in Coventry. The "real" Vampire's Grave is in Exeter. In the 60s, a Coventry High School teacher told his classroom the story of the vampire, but didn't say where the grave was located. They went looking for it and decided it was on Plain Meeting House Road in West Greenwich. They were wrong, but the legend took hold and generations of kids went looking for the gravestone of Nellie Vaughn, when the real vampire was Mercy Brown.

I've been to both cemeteries and actually find the Plain Meeting House site to be much creepier. I'm not superstitious or much attuned to the spirit world, but it just felt evil. Not so much from a vampire presence but from all the strange people who've visited through the years and toppled the gravestones. I saw one toppled gravestone that had what looked like fresh blood on the hands engraved in the stone - and didn't see much purpose to lingering longer!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:48 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
Yeah, this is superstitious nonsense. What a load of *******s.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:26 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I'm excited to see it. I love New England and I attended college at Clark University in Worcester MA. My last year their, my friends and I moved into a creepy "triple decker". We has some odd experiences.

New England seems to have more than it's fair share of hauntings.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. There is a thread about in on the Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal Forum.

I'd love to know if anyone knows more about what really happened.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Has anyone seen it? Does anyone know anything about the real family and the location?

The movie received good reviews and I'm interested to know if anyone has any personal connection to this case, and how they think it was portrayed in the film.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:03 AM

157 posts, read 306,140 times
People who have seen it love it. Good old fashioned jump-out-of-your-skin horror.

And yeah, I knew the vampire's grave was a load of BS. Just a place for drunk metalheads to hang out at night back in the 80s. Guilty as charged, except I didn't drink. I was usually the designated driver. I'm originally from Cranston but hung out with a lot of Warwick/West Warwick kids in my late teens and heard about that place constantly and got dared to go up there more than once. Had a nice chat with a Coventry police officer, too.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
It is hands down the scariest movie I have ever seen. WAY scarier than Amityville Horror, and we're still debating whether it tops the original Exorcist. People literally yelling at the screen, screaming, jumping out of their seats, etc. Well worth the money to see it in the theater. Seeing it at home wouldn't do it justice IMO. And they list the actual family with photos and names at the end. GREAT movie if you don't want to sleep again. Ever.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:45 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
It is hands down the scariest movie I have ever seen. WAY scarier than Amityville Horror, and we're still debating whether it tops the original Exorcist. People literally yelling at the screen, screaming, jumping out of their seats, etc. Well worth the money to see it in the theater. Seeing it at home wouldn't do it justice IMO. And they list the actual family with photos and names at the end. GREAT movie if you don't want to sleep again. Ever.

I agree except that I would put in the same category as the "Amityville Horror" and "The Exorcist". Not higher, but the same. However, that's saying a lot.

There hasn't been a horror film of this caliber since the early 1980s, when Amityville came out.

I actually believe that this occurred. I know something happened in Amityville, but it was greatly exaggerated.

This is NOT a film to see on DVD or Netflix. This is something to see in the theater. People were visibly and audibly reacting in terror. Adult people spoke to one another, to strangers seeking and giving comfort and discussing what just went on.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:11 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Has anyone seen it? Does anyone know anything about the real family and the location?
The farmhouse is located in Burrillville, RI, specifically the Harrisville section.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:27 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
The movie was filmed in North Carolina, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island