Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM

8 posts, read 26,827 times

Advertisements

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to read this and reply. My wife and I are looking to get upto the Newport RI area for the labor day weekend and extended that for a few days. Now most of the hotels in the Newport Area are pretty expensive so we were looking around the area and found the NYLO hotel in Warwick. It looks pretty unique and nice but don't know about the area and the hotel. Can someone please let me know how the area is and if you have info on the hotel. It would be great appreciated.

Thank you
Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
It would be pretty inconvenient to keep driving into Newport from there. Try booking something in Middletown. Maybe stay in Warwick if you have plans to see the rest of the area.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 PM

8,056 posts, read 4,681,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gge1 View Post
Hello

Thank you for taking the time to read this and reply. My wife and I are looking to get upto the Newport RI area for the labor day weekend and extended that for a few days. Now most of the hotels in the Newport Area are pretty expensive so we were looking around the area and found the NYLO hotel in Warwick. It looks pretty unique and nice but don't know about the area and the hotel. Can someone please let me know how the area is and if you have info on the hotel. It would be great appreciated.

Thank you
Gary
We stayed at the NYLO in Warwick when we came up to Rhode Island to house hunt. It is very unique given the converted mill space it occupies. Probably the most interesting hotel, for the money, in Rhode Island. Overall I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. The rooms were spacious and clean. The bathrooms were exceptionally nice, but open to the room at the top of the wall partition. The room ceilings were esposed industrial and the walls poured concrete broken up by curtain fabric. The entrance and lobby was a bit dark and a maybe even a little uninviting, but the staff was accomodating and all friendly.

There are many hotel options between Providence and Newport, but few more interesting at the price.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,585,753 times
Staying in Warwick will only hamper your enjoyment of Newport with unnecessary
travel time. You might want to consider the HJ in Middletown, right on Rt 114
mere minutes from Newport.
Howard Johnson
351 W Main Rd Middletown, RI 02842
(401) 849-2000

Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM

8,056 posts, read 4,681,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Staying in Warwick will only hamper your enjoyment of Newport with unnecessary
travel time. You might want to consider the HJ in Middletown, right on Rt 114
mere minutes from Newport.
Howard Johnson
351 W Main Rd Middletown, RI 02842
(401) 849-2000
I agree with Snowball. If it's convenience your mainly interested in, as anywhere, there are several cheaper chain-type motels available just out of Newport. I think there's even a Motel 6 nearby. The fact you mentioned NYLO specifically seemed to indicate you might be looking for something a bit special.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 AM

24 posts, read 85,943 times
I know this post is a month old, but figured I'd add my thoughts about the NYLO in case anyone else happens upon it looking for info.

I have stayed at the NYLO several times and I do like it. However, not for the reasons they would like you to think. They advertise this hotel as a unique experience with a modern vibe. While the hotel itself is unique (a former mill), there's really only two reasons I stay here: The bed and the shower. Both of these are the best of any hotels I have ever stayed in, and I've traveled quite a bit over the years. Two things that can ruin a vacation or whatever is an uncomfortable bed and a shower that has no water pressure. No problem with either of these at the NYLO. Like I said, best in the business as far as I'm concerned.

However, I would never stay at this hotel for the full price they list. It is overpriced. All the hype about the modern vibe, uniqueness, etc is all a bunch of nonsense. The rooms are very small, the walls are concrete and come with the normal stains (water?) that you normally find on concrete walls. They do a good job of covering the walls with hanging drapes and various artwork. And like mentioned already, the bathroom wall has an open space. And since the bedroom is so small, well you get my drift.

Some other positives, all the times I have stayed in this hotel my room was very quiet. I had no problems with noise from other guests. The staff was also very nice.

I'd have no problem staying here again. I wouldn't do it for the 'atmosphere' though. If you want (need) a really comfortable (and large) bed, and a really nice shower, the NYLO will be great. Make sure you get some kind of discount (AAA, Military, etc) and it'll be well worth it.

Another hotel in the area that is very good is the Hampton Inn near the airport. Very comfortable bed, nicer (newer) room, and you can get a room with a kitchen. But can also be expensive, so book with a discount. (which I'm sure we all do anyway, but wanted to be fair). I haven't booked at the NYLO since last summer, but I remember I couldn't get a discount while booking on the website. I had to call. I don't know if that was just an issue with my browser that day or if that's normal for their site.

Hope this info helps someone.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason401 View Post
I know this post is a month old, but figured I'd add my thoughts about the NYLO in case anyone else happens upon it looking for info.

I have stayed at the NYLO several times and I do like it. However, not for the reasons they would like you to think. They advertise this hotel as a unique experience with a modern vibe. While the hotel itself is unique (a former mill), there's really only two reasons I stay here: The bed and the shower. Both of these are the best of any hotels I have ever stayed in, and I've traveled quite a bit over the years. Two things that can ruin a vacation or whatever is an uncomfortable bed and a shower that has no water pressure. No problem with either of these at the NYLO. Like I said, best in the business as far as I'm concerned.

However, I would never stay at this hotel for the full price they list. It is overpriced. All the hype about the modern vibe, uniqueness, etc is all a bunch of nonsense. The rooms are very small, the walls are concrete and come with the normal stains (water?) that you normally find on concrete walls. They do a good job of covering the walls with hanging drapes and various artwork. And like mentioned already, the bathroom wall has an open space. And since the bedroom is so small, well you get my drift.

Some other positives, all the times I have stayed in this hotel my room was very quiet. I had no problems with noise from other guests. The staff was also very nice.

I'd have no problem staying here again. I wouldn't do it for the 'atmosphere' though. If you want (need) a really comfortable (and large) bed, and a really nice shower, the NYLO will be great. Make sure you get some kind of discount (AAA, Military, etc) and it'll be well worth it.

Another hotel in the area that is very good is the Hampton Inn near the airport. Very comfortable bed, nicer (newer) room, and you can get a room with a kitchen. But can also be expensive, so book with a discount. (which I'm sure we all do anyway, but wanted to be fair). I haven't booked at the NYLO since last summer, but I remember I couldn't get a discount while booking on the website. I had to call. I don't know if that was just an issue with my browser that day or if that's normal for their site.

Hope this info helps someone.
I stayed at the NYLO when it was new and before it was flooded. I believe it's the old Fruit of the Loom factory. What you said about the bed and the shower are spot on, but I did hear noise from the top floor during my weekend stay. It was coming from the deck area directly below and they played music there until very late. I'd still go back there in a heartbeat and considering that I had scored that stay on Priceline for one third of the going rate at the time, dealing with the noise was not so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island