Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,946 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking for a small house in or around Providence. I don't need to commute, so it doesn't matter where. I'd love to be near water (but don't need to see it from my property), but also a farmers' market and maybe a little strip I can walk to (or at least bike) with a few things (good coffee? bakery?). I'm not interested in chains or fast food. I don't want a neighborhood that is all college kids, but a mix of people with a good vibe. Young families, gay people, mixed races.

Does such a place exist?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 AM

171 posts, read 308,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveRI View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for a small house in or around Providence. I don't need to commute, so it doesn't matter where. I'd love to be near water (but don't need to see it from my property), but also a farmers' market and maybe a little strip I can walk to (or at least bike) with a few things (good coffee? bakery?). I'm not interested in chains or fast food. I don't want a neighborhood that is all college kids, but a mix of people with a good vibe. Young families, gay people, mixed races.

Does such a place exist?
Thanks.
There are a couple of places that might meet your criteria. They are the Broadway and Armory Historic Districts. These are subsections of the Federal Hill and West End Neighborhoods of Providence. An internet search of Federal Hill/West End/Providence will list all of the ammenities within walking distance. There is also the Armory Farmers Market that serves both neighborhoods. Definitely it check out in person. While I believe you will find them to your liking, the attractive areas and not-so attractive areas can be hit or miss depending on the block. Let me know if you have any questions. Best of luck.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Are you looking to buy or rent?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM

108 posts, read 181,865 times
I second the west side, specifically the Broadway/armory n'hood. I live in this area and absolutely love the area for many of the exact reasons you listed. The farmers market, local establishments, engaged residents, historic architecture, etc... I've lived in this neighborhood for 10+ years now and it's just perfect for what I look for in a place to live.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
There is plenty of what you like here in RI. Along with Holly's question I would add, budget, do you want an urban or semi-urban environment? You say in and around Providence, so other towns an option? If you want a house vs. an apartment, outside of providence might make more sense, but I guess that depends on budget.

RI has some awesome farmers markets, check out farmfreshri.org for a listing. From where I live on the East Side I could bike to at least 5 different markets (I could easily walk to 2).

Old 08-09-2013, 09:21 PM

Thanks everyone! This is really helpful! We are looking to buy a relatively small house, not an apartment. We will definitely check out Broadway/Armory.

Outside of Providence is totally fine. People have mentioned Cranston. Edgewood is it?

I'm not sure I know the difference between urban/semi-urban. We currently live in NYC. We are looking for the opposite of that - a place to grill some vegetables, maybe build a pizza oven in the backyard . Definitely not a suburban experience but something chill.

Heading to Rhode Island tomorrow to start peeking around...

Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Urban refers to city living.
Semi-urban may be more town like. No skyscrapers and loud traffic but with businesses and shops and houses or apartment buildings on small lots. Sub-urban living refers to strictly residential homes farther away from the city usually requiring transportation to the city or nearby town or shopping center for to get to a grocery store.

You could be in the town of Bristol where the harbor is clean enough to swim in; there are nice bakeries and restaurants you can walk to or ride your bike to and downtown Providence is just a 15-20 minute drive
away. I think if I were you I'd want to look there. You could look in Cranston too. Cranston isn't as pretty but it has a big Whole Foods store and would be a shorter drive to downtown Providence. If you go on YouTube I bet you can find videos of the various towns. I know there are several of Jamestown. Here is one of several of Bristol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlT1tb6srlU

Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
one of the most overlooked areas around Providence is Riverside (South part of East Providence). It is along the Providence River before it's approach to the Narragansett Bay. You have a beautiful view of Edgewood, Rhode Island Yacht Club and the city. The water is not of swimming quality but you can fish there. Many homes are former summer homes converted into full time homes. The homes are on smaller lots. It is close to the East Bay bike path and has its own park along the water that many do not know about. The area is between the Spring Glen golf course and Narragansett Terrace. To me if you consider Edgewood as a possible home site you need to look across the river at Riverside. It is 10 minutes to Providence.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I agree about Riverside- it's analogous to areas of Pawtuxet on the opposite side of the bay. Boyden heights is nice as well as Kent heights. The area up near the point is known as Bullocks Point and is more analogous to Conimicut- some tiny former beach cottages. There is going to be some new waterfront development happening along Veterans parkway as well as some spiffing up of the shopping district up near Bullocks Pt which should give the area a boost.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:20 PM

Update: we haven't ruled out the Providence area, but we have started to think about how much we love Jamestown... It is a little more expensive than we can afford but it has everything we want. Can walk/bike to beach and town. Ice cream, bakery, supermarket. Anyone know of a similar place nearby that might be cheaper but similar to Jamestown? Wickford, North Kingstown? (Sorry to be all over the map!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island