Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 PM

895 posts, read 1,699,135 times

Advertisements

Is Providence (sorry for the typo) immersed in vibrant culture? Do you feel intellectually stimulated as a resident, or when you live there? How does Provincetown compare to seattle?

Last edited by Rcsligar; 08-01-2013 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 PM

5,777 posts, read 5,073,086 times
You may be confusing "Provincetown", which is a town at the tip of the Cape in the state of Massachusetts, with "Providence", which is the seat of the state government in Rhode Island. MA and RI are neighbors (north and south) but they are two separate states.

You might be better off asking the exact same question in the "Massachusetts" forum....I love P-Town, by the way!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
You may be confusing "Provincetown", which is a town at the tip of the Cape in the state of Massachusetts, with "Providence", which is the seat of the state government in Rhode Island. MA and RI are neighbors (north and south) but they are two separate states.

You might be better off asking the exact same question in the "Massachusetts" forum....I love P-Town, by the way!
I meant to ask about providence, sorry for the typo.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,555,590 times
there is virtually nothing similar between Seattle and Providence.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:03 PM

591 posts, read 816,786 times
There's probably more intellectual stimulation in Providence than in most Sun Belt cities; however, the vast majority of Rhode Islanders are neither intellectuals nor care about intellectual stimulation. Providence is nothing like Seattle, if that's what you're asking. If you want Seattle-Lite, check out Portland, OR. Keep in mind that while Rhode Island may be a "blue state," most Rhode Islanders themselves are not that liberal.

By the way, what is this "vibrant culture" you make reference to?

Last edited by ZonaZoo; 08-02-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 05:25 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,440,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post

Keep in mind that while Rhode Island may be a "blue state," most Rhode Islanders themselves are not that liberal.

Sorry to have reality intrude on one of your many anti-RI rants, BUT...

Quote:
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) - Move over, Massachusetts. Back off, Vermont. A new poll says Rhode Island has the most liberal population of the 50 states.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
There's probably more intellectual stimulation in Providence than in most Sun Belt cities; however, the vast majority of Rhode Islanders are neither intellectuals nor care about intellectual stimulation. Providence is nothing like Seattle, if that's what you're asking. If you want Seattle-Lite, check out Portland, OR. Keep in mind that while Rhode Island may be a "blue state," most Rhode Islanders themselves are not that liberal.

By the way, what is this "vibrant culture" you make reference to?
Creative and eclectic neighborhoods with many amenities (music venues, theaters, museums, etc.)

Old 08-02-2013, 07:11 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,366,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Sorry to have reality intrude on one of your many anti-RI rants, BUT...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) - Move over, Massachusetts. Back off, Vermont. A new poll says Rhode Island has the most liberal population of the 50 states.
Sorry to have reality intrude on your hypocrisy but is that a GALLUP poll you are citing?
Funny how Gallup is worthless when you disagree with it but all of a sudden it's now regarded as "reality"

"A total of 32 percent of Rhode Islanders described themselves as politically liberal in a Gallup poll of 90,942 Americans conducted over the first six months of this year."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Gallup's methodology is pretty weak and their type of questions are vague. I suspect the results of the polling reflects Rhode Islanders' tendency to naturally see the glass as half empty. And this sort of poll is pretty silly anyway. Gallup ranks North Dakota as the 2nd best state to live in America. North Dakota! I've seen the charms of Bismarck, Fargo, Grand Forks and I can assure you Woonsocket beats all of them, hands down.

Nothing to see here, folks -- another meaningless poll from an increasingly irrelevant Gallup.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:48 PM

591 posts, read 816,786 times
Most Rhode Islanders are second, third, and fourth-generation ethnic whites descended from Southern and Eastern European immigrants and, in turn, Roman Catholic. These folks are not socially liberal in the same sense as West Coast liberals, which I believe the OP is attempting to discern: most Rhode Island Democrats are card-carrying union members, the children and/or grandchildren of union workers, and/or welfare recipients.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:53 AM

7,952 posts, read 4,608,794 times
Quote:
Most Rhode Islanders are second, third, and fourth-generation ethnic whites descended from Southern and Eastern European immigrants and, in turn, Roman Catholic. These folks are not socially liberal in the same sense as West Coast liberals, which I believe the OP is attempting to discern: most Rhode Island Democrats are card-carrying union members, the children and/or grandchildren of union workers, and/or welfare recipients.

There are too many generalizations here to address. Most Rhode Island democrats are card-carrying union members??

However, there does seem to be a difference between the old term "Liberal" and the newer term "Progressive." Liberal has become more representative of older, working class democrats and Progressive identifies younger, more educated democrats. East or West Coast, the ethnic background may be much less important than age and education. As for religion, I understand church attendance rather than religion is the bigger distinction regarding left/right political leanings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island