Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM

25 posts, read 61,820 times

Advertisements

Can use some ideas on how to set up a new appartment and where to go furniture shopping around Westerly, RI. Need bedrooms set, living room, kitchen. For the style - thinking modern/contemporary.

I do need to go and get a bunch of furniture quickly, moving-in in a couple days and just waiting for the remodeling crew to finish up. My ex took the furniture when she moved out from my current place, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch, but I do have some cash to spend.

Any votes for IKEA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 05:35 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,315 times
I'd go to IKEA if you'll keep in mind that most furniture there won't last you a very long time. It'll be one trip and you'll be done. However, I recommend looking at the catalogue online first. If there are some special/heavy items, call the store to confirm that they have the item in stock. Nothing more annoying than driving there with a van or truck only to find out the thing you want is not available.

Finally, don't go there on the weekend, it's a madhouse. Early Wednesday mornings are a much better choice.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussBuddy View Post
Can use some ideas on how to set up a new appartment and where to go furniture shopping around Westerly, RI. Need bedrooms set, living room, kitchen. For the style - thinking modern/contemporary.

I do need to go and get a bunch of furniture quickly, moving-in in a couple days and just waiting for the remodeling crew to finish up. My ex took the furniture when she moved out from my current place, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch, but I do have some cash to spend.

Any votes for IKEA?

If you want better style at a higher price, but it will last, go to Cardi's on Rt.2 on the East Greenwich/West Warwick line. Some Cardi's stores have a discount center in the store as well. Or ... there are some very nice used furniture/consignment shops in South County.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:

Any votes for IKEA?
the closest IKEA for you will be in New Haven.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:07 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:

Any votes for IKEA?
Another vote here for IKEA!

I just visited Cardi's and the Design Center a few days ago. They're next door. Very disappointing design-wise. I hadn't been to either for at least 5 years when I bought a very expensive sectional at the DC. It didn't last. Both showrooms were oddly uninspired (especially the DC), if you're looking for good forward design or even interesting classics. The DC furniture hardly looked different than Cardi's except for somewhat grander displays and it was much more expensive.

While I always prefer to shop local, for design and quality, I might suggest checking out some smaller places here or going to Boston. Shopping online and shipping to Rhode Island is also an option.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
McKay's Furniture in North Kingstown would be a good local choice.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Sheldon Furniture Company · (401) 783-5503
349 Main St · Wakefield · Directions
Consignments Limited · Website · (401) 284-3399
597 Kingstown Rd · Wakefield · Directions

Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 PM

25 posts, read 61,820 times
Thanks for heads up on consignment and retail stores!

Between that and craigslist, the variety of choices and price options is a bit overwhelming. My landlord is suppose to send me a floor plan tomorrow. So I'm thinking to draw out what I want to put and where, and then go shopping. Ideally I'd like to get all the shopping done in one place at one time, have it all delivered at once and be done with it.

I don't mind shopping, but would really much prefer to do other things, like sports and recreation and having friends and family over, so want to get the place furnished as soon as possible! For budgets, no hard limit, looking to spend probably between $2k-5k. Can go higher if needed, but would rather not, just in case I want to move out of the area in one year and liquidate everything.

Just to give an idea - I have a 3-bedroom + kitchen, large bathroom, a living room and connecting hallway. It's an older house, so rooms are not huge. Hardwood floor in 2 of the rooms. Bedroom will need bed, nightstand, dresser. For the living room I have an Ok couch; and will need to buy chairs, coffee table, TV and TV/entertainment system stand. My buddy suggested I also get a shag rag. For kitchen - have an Ok table and chairs and dishes/utensils, and will look in to getting a dry bar. I'll also need shoe stand, laundry hamper, lights, and a bunch of other small things here and there.

Look forward for any other ideas. I want to furnish a modern/contemporary style appartment, and have a hard time picturing how to put it all together. Last time I shopped for furniture was when I was back in college 15 years ago, and it was just wallmart and hand-me down stuff.

Just downloaded a few furniture catalogs and flipping through those, seem like they often omit listing detailed specs and dimensions. Yet to step in to a showrooms and find out how ordering/delivery works. I do have a full-size van I can use for picking stuff up. Also assembling furniture is not a problem.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:30 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Thanks for heads up on consignment and retail stores!

Between that and craigslist, the variety of choices and price options is a bit overwhelming. My landlord is suppose to send me a floor plan tomorrow. So I'm thinking to draw out what I want to put and where, and then go shopping. Ideally I'd like to get all the shopping done in one place at one time, have it all delivered at once and be done with it.

I don't mind shopping, but would really much prefer to do other things, like sports and recreation and having friends and family over, so want to get the place furnished as soon as possible! For budgets, no hard limit, looking to spend probably between $2k-5k. Can go higher if needed, but would rather not, just in case I want to move out of the area in one year and liquidate everything.

Just to give an idea - I have a 3-bedroom + kitchen, large bathroom, a living room and connecting hallway. It's an older house, so rooms are not huge. Hardwood floor in 2 of the rooms. Bedroom will need bed, nightstand, dresser. For the living room I have an Ok couch; and will need to buy chairs, coffee table, TV and TV/entertainment system stand. My buddy suggested I also get a shag rag. For kitchen - have an Ok table and chairs and dishes/utensils, and will look in to getting a dry bar. I'll also need shoe stand, laundry hamper, lights, and a bunch of other small things here and there.

Look forward for any other ideas. I want to furnish a modern/contemporary style appartment, and have a hard time picturing how to put it all together. Last time I shopped for furniture was when I was back in college 15 years ago, and it was just wallmart and hand-me down stuff.

Just downloaded a few furniture catalogs and flipping through those, seem like they often omit listing detailed specs and dimensions. Yet to step in to a showrooms and find out how ordering/delivery works. I do have a full-size van I can use for picking stuff up. Also assembling furniture is not a problem.

Should also mention that there is a nice unfinished furniture store as you head towards No. Kingston near Rt. 1 off Rt. 95 I believe it is. Others may know the exact address, but I was there last year when I up visiting friends who buy there for their summer home, and the quality is very nice, a huge selection, all wood. You can have them finish it, buy it finished, or finish it yourself. They deliver for a fee of course. We bought several things there over the years, and still have some. Their prices are decent for the quality. Style? contemporary or traditional, and some cottage style. ( $5K to furnish what you need may not be quite enough. It adds up quickly. You might do better actually on Craigslist and the consignment stores in the area, there are plenty of them -- since you have a van to pickup.)

Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Should also mention that there is a nice unfinished furniture store as you head towards No. Kingston near Rt. 1 off Rt. 95 I believe it is. Others may know the exact address, but I was there last year when I up visiting friends who buy there for their summer home, and the quality is very nice, a huge selection, all wood. You can have them finish it, buy it finished, or finish it yourself. They deliver for a fee of course. We bought several things there over the years, and still have some. Their prices are decent for the quality. Style? contemporary or traditional, and some cottage style. ( $5K to furnish what you need may not be quite enough. It adds up quickly. You might do better actually on Craigslist and the consignment stores in the area, there are plenty of them -- since you have a van to pickup.)
Mill Stores. 5943 Post Rd North Kingstown, RI 02852
(401) 885-0176
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island