Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
And dammit, now you made me miss pizza strips..
pizza strips, a valued commodity when a Rhode Islander takes a road trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 01:07 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvenom1986 View Post
thank you tell me everything i should know about your lovely state? whats the night life like? I wanna move to a nice safe place. Are the people friendly and are the guys rude like on jersey shore i hope not?

I love working out and looking good but I could never treat anyone that way.

Thanks again
Julie Bartoletti
I would forget about the east side of Providence, its expensive and really for the collegiate atomosphere with Brown Univ, and Rhode Island School of Design. I would strongly consider Cranston. It is laid out well, is relatively safe and has an over-abundance of those clannish Italians you crave to be with. They will make you feel like family.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:20 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Many first generation and extended Italian families in North Providence, Johnston, Western Cranston, Oaklawn, Dean Estates in Cranston, Barrington. But, if you are not excited about higher cost of living and high taxes .... that could be your major issue in RI.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Many first generation and extended Italian families in North Providence, Johnston, Western Cranston, Oaklawn, Dean Estates in Cranston, Barrington. But, if you are not excited about higher cost of living and high taxes .... that could be your major issue in RI.
You cannot leave income out of the COL equation. For example, the median family income in Rhode Island is $52,142. The median family income in, say, North Carolina, is $44,787, one of the lowest in the US. So while more expensive than other states, income is higher in Rhode Island, thus greater purchasing power.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
You cannot leave income out of the COL equation. For example, the median family income in Rhode Island is $52,142. The median family income in, say, North Carolina, is $44,787, one of the lowest in the US. So while more expensive than other states, income is higher in Rhode Island, thus greater purchasing power.

Quilterchick has a point. I have family in NC and I currently live here. They moved to NC for the warmer climate and MUCH LOWER cost of living, including buying a much cheaper house in a nice area at a fraction of the price it would cost here. Yeah, the wages may be lower but things are more expensive up here as well. That's often the caveat. Your wages and purchasing power go up in a given area but so does the cost of everything else.
I don't think people come here to read the census reports, they can do that for themselves. They want to hear real opinions from real people

Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 PM

4,389 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
...as it would be in New Jersey, as well. But anyone from California isn't going to be shocked by a HCOL. Real estate here is a bargain, comparably. I would add Westerly into the discussion, along with Providence, North Providence, Cranston, Johnston - heck, anywhere in RI. I'm sure there are many communities in Massachusetts and Connecticut that fit the bill as well. Maybe the original poster could give us a better description as to what she's looking for, size of town or city, etc?

Old 09-12-2013, 05:04 PM

43 posts, read 61,189 times
No problem Im open to the size of the city.Money wise that's also not an issue I live in Brentwood near beverly hills so im ok with money. I own my own business's so ill be opeing my bussiness's where ever i move to ill also be in and out of cali since my business's and family are here. Im a young woman and im single with no kids so i have no reason to stay stuck in the same place. I really like Rhode Island people so far you guys have given me great advise. The main issue Ill have is that I don't know anyone out east. So maybe I should live in a nice safe fun city.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Based on what the OP is saying I'd go with the Italian section of NYC on this one. I don't think Johnston (which has the highest % of Italians in the state BTW) is going to compare favorably to Beverly Hills.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Based on what the OP is saying I'd go with the Italian section of NYC on this one. I don't think Johnston (which has the highest % of Italians in the state BTW) is going to compare favorably to Beverly Hills.
Little Italy ain't what it used to be -- the Italians left long, long ago for Long Island. Same with Chinatown -- it's now all Vietnamese and other non-Chinese Asians. The great melting-pot that was New York and the tenements that housed them have been replaced with Wall Street types and Richard Meieresque glass towers.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 PM

43 posts, read 61,189 times
I know that Bev hills is nice but I also dont expect for any place to be like it im not a picky person as long as is safe thats really whats important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island