Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:46 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Oh, great, the Heritage Organization, an organ grinder for the radical, uneducated, extremist right in America (thank God that breed is dying off of old age)!

Um, maybe you should revisit the chart. It indicates UNWED mothers, it does NOT address the percentage of Hispanics on welfare. Do try to keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 07:33 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Raiderman: $20.83 per single parent with two children.
of course you realize many single mothers have more than 2.

August, 2013:

Rhode Island

Pre-tax Equivalent ($): 43,330
Hourly Wage Equivalent ($): 20.83

It May Now Pay More to Be on Welfare Than Get an Entry-Level Job in These 34 States | TheBlaze.com

concerning the value for a single person with no children,
recent Sept 2013 research says it's $12.55

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain
Source: US Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Commerce, CATO Institute
Research Date: 9.10.2013
None of this changes one simple fact: The amount of people on welfare in Rhode Island is dropping. So when people paint a picture of a state with tons of people on the dole, that's a pretty glaring thing to exempt from their hyperbole.

Also, it pays more for some folks to be on welfare everywhere. This isn't some strange mystical fairy dust that only manifests in Rhode Island.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
But more and more are crossing the MA line everyday (including some in this forum), which is very likely a factor in the average increase in salaries.
Any facts to back that up?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:45 AM

OK, your original assertion was regarding welfare. Remember?

Quote:
Welfare leeches from CT, NY and NJ. Does anybody still wonder why they are coming to RI in droves?
After making that proven to be false statement, you were debunked, and (just like clockwork) then switched your argument.

But I agree, Public Assistance encompasses far more than just that program.

Once again, if we're talking about Public Assistance in general, than that is increasing virtually everywhere right now because more people are out of work. It's a pretty straight line to draw. And Obama has very little to do with it. In fact, without the 2009 stimulus (you know back before Republicans could block everything he tried to do), Bush's massive stock market crash/recession would have been far more difficult to shake.

But of course, we're getting off base now. The bottom line is, people keep making negative assertions about Rhode Island that either a) just aren't true (welfare is increasing due to incoming folks from other states) or b) could be a statement about almost anywhere right now (the number of people on federal benefits in general is on the rise.)

Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
After making that proven to be false statement, you were debunked, and (just like clockwork) then switched your argument.
I predicted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Once again, the facts stand in the way of your prejudices:

Honestly, I do wish you'd cite facts instead of your own anecdotes. Of course, as usual, when confronted with reality, those who spout opinion just shuffle off to the next thread.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:22 AM

4,382 posts, read 3,184,886 times
I think we're all well aware of that, but which program would you like to discuss, specifically, and how does this wall of links relate to your original assertions about people moving here for benefits? Several of those links include Medicare in the discussion of entitlements. Well, no shock that Social Security and Medicare costs are going up as the largest generation ever is retiring.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Regardless of the interpretation, it's obvious that receiving public
assistance, federal, state, and charity-based is a legitimate alternative
to work in this state, and a handful of others, where the benefits surely
outweigh the employment prospects.
It's not a bad life. Lots of free time, boyfriends love it too, free place
to stay, free food. And soon, free healthcare for them too.
Guys I'm not bitter. I'm just saying it's what it is, and I don't have any
illusions that it will change.
Estimates range from 40-50% of the state budget for handouts
of all kinds.
This is the system, and if people choose it as a way of life, more power
to them "sticking it to the man". Heck, look at the banks if you really
want to see what welfare is all about. Whatever eventually happens,
it's what the voters chose to happen. If ya don't like it, move to another
country.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I think we're all well aware of that, but which program would you like to discuss, specifically, and how does this wall of links relate to your original assertions about people moving here for benefits? Several of those links include Medicare in the discussion of entitlements. Well, no shock that Social Security and Medicare costs are going up as the largest generation ever is retiring.
When losing the argument, CHANGE THE SUBJECT!

Anyway, it's a beautiful day here in Providence, I have the day off and I need to make a picnic lunch for a friend from Manhattan who is (gasp!) thinking of moving here. I think we'll settle in Prospect Park, then amble around College Hil and downtown, and I'll let the city do its own job selling this guy. Have a great morning, everyone!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Regardless of the interpretation, it's obvious that receiving public
assistance, federal, state, and charity-based is a legitimate alternative
to work in this state
Obvious to whom? People who actually objectively examine the facts and then back them up with sources, or people who just like to spout Right Wing myths on the internet? Because again: The facts show welfare rolls depleting, and the facts show the the vast multitude of states now have increased federal benefits due to the prolonged affects of the massive Global Recession we just had.

None of the facts single out Rhode Island or convey it as anything special, and plenty of people are genuinely hurting right now all over the World, and all across this country.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
When losing the argument, CHANGE THE SUBJECT!

Anyway, it's a beautiful day here in Providence, I have the day off and I need to make a picnic lunch for a friend from Manhattan who is (gasp!) thinking of moving here. I think we'll settle in Prospect Park, then amble around College Hil and downtown, and I'll let the city do its own job selling this guy. Have a great morning, everyone!
You too. I'm off to Gahden City soon to do some shopping, then I have to get the car serviced. Bottom line? Your day sounds better! haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island