Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times

Advertisements

Bishop Tobin, who has a national reputation of being an fanatical extremist, recently blasted Pope Francis over abortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Tobin
"The other thing I want to say though, is that I'm a little bit disappointed in Pope Francis that he hasn't, at least that I'm aware of, said much about unborn children, about abortion, and many people have noticed that. I think it would be very helpful if Pope Francis would address more directly the evil of abortion and to encourage those who are involved in the pro-life movement. It's one thing for him to reach out and embrace and kiss little children and infants as he has on many occasions. It strikes me that it would also be wonderful if in a spiritual way he would reach out and embrace and kiss unborn children."
Pope Francis, in an interview just published, said he wanted to move away from the right wing "talking points" and focus more on the pastoral mission of a modern pope:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
Pope Francis, in the first extensive interview of his six-month-old papacy, said that the Roman Catholic church had grown “obsessed” with preaching about abortion, gay marriage and contraception, and that he has chosen not to speak of those issues despite recriminations from some critics.
Who do you think is going to win this argument? Do you think Tobin speaks for the majority of RI Catholics?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:54 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
We know for a fact Tobin doesn't speak for the majority of RI Catholics. Two words: Gay marriage!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
We know for a fact Tobin doesn't speak for the majority of RI Catholics. Two words: Gay marriage!
Duh! Yeah, I should have thought of that. I think these wedge issues of abortions and gay rights are dying out as the older population starts pushing up daisies.

But I think Tobin should shut his mouth and remember the adage, "Silence is also a virtue."

Old 09-19-2013, 02:43 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Excuse me but last time I checked, RI Catholics and all RI citizens were not
allowed to vote on a referendum on that matter, so no, you or I don't know
anything as "fact" as to how this populace would have voted.
And please, don't post any "polls", they are not trustworthy.
Not saying one way or another what would have happened, your guess
is no better than mine.
The legislature and governor decided that their choice on same-sex civil
marriage was more important than the people's... what did they fear ?

Old 09-19-2013, 05:07 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Votes by the populace on civil matters should never take place, that is very dangerous. Only the legislature has the right to make those decisions and if your representative's vote doesn't reflect your position than vote him/her out or proactively recruit a citizen that reflects your position.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
is no better than mine.
I think the Pope make a very eloquent and groundbreaking statement. He didn't, as that fascist who preceeded him, refer to us as "homosexuals," which has become an offensive term, he called us "gays." That's a huge transformation. Crackpots and extremists like Tobin are now in disfavor in the Vatican.

The Pope also said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
Francis told the interviewer, a fellow Jesuit: “It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time. The dogmatic and moral teachings of the church are not all equivalent. The church’s pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently.

“We have to find a new balance,” the pope continued, “otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel.”
That's big news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Votes by the populace on civil matters should never take place, that is very dangerous. Only the legislature has the right to make those decisions and if your representative's vote doesn't reflect your position than vote him/her out or proactively recruit a citizen that reflects your position.
mr2448, you are absolutely right. Exactly right. The Civil Rights Act of 1963 and 1964 weren't put to a popular vote, they were enacted by legislators that the PEOPLE elect, and signed by a president that the PEOPLE elected. These important civil rights matters aren't like American Idol, they are deliberated by our elected officials, and sometimes withstand a challenge by the Supreme Court. That's the way our system of government works. Don't like the outcome? Vote your offending legislator out of office in the next election.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
is no better than mine.
And there was certainly no reliable poll of "RI Catholics" on this issue.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
It happens in many states (most recently in MA with its decriminalization of marijuana). In places like CA and OR, governing by the ballot box has become a way of life.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Who do you think is going to win this argument? Do you think Tobin speaks for the majority of RI Catholics?
Are you a RI Catholic? If not how does this relate to you, or how does it concern you? People who do not (currently) live in RI are constantly berated here for simply posting on the RI forum. I wonder if non-Catholics should be so concerned about the going-ons in the Catholic Church, or if they should just mind their own business (unless of course something totally immoral or illegal is going on).

It just amazes me how many non-Catholics are so up in the church's business, don't people have their own church/mosque/synagogue/whatever to worry about? As for Catholics who have rejected your own church's doctrine, you are free to leave any time. Find a church (or non-church) that is more compatible with your beliefs. You will be better off without the church, and the church will be better off without you.

This coming from a non-Catholic.

Last edited by massnative71; 09-19-2013 at 11:56 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Are you a RI Catholic? If not how does this relate to you, or how does it concern you? People who do not (currently) live in RI are constantly berated here for simply posting on the RI forum.

You ARE nosy. Yes, I'm a Catholic. Educated in Catholics schools (DeMatha in DC). A Rhode Island Catholic -- I'm two for two; you're zero for two. So do I have your permission to discuss this topic, oh moderator?

As to why some on this forum express dismay at your postings isn't because you are not and never have been a Rhode Islander; rather, it raises questions: why would an out of stater spend her time dong nothing but bashing the state, a state they do not live in? Isn't there more to life than THAT? Not one positive post. Not one. As you inadvertently state, in your own words: "... maybe they should just mind their own business." That, in your own words, not mine.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 09-20-2013 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island