Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times

Advertisements

Congrats on your new job. Remember, no Somersworth, Kittery Maine, Seabrook, or Hampton. Portsmouth for small-town urban, Dover for suburban, Eliot Maine for rural would be my 3 choices. I lived in Dover for a couple of years. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 06:14 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Having just re-read both threads, ours and the same one in the NH forum, I think the OP has made the right choice for her family's conservative views. Good luck to them.

BTW, every Rhode Islander who posts here should read all the hate and the misinformation posted about RI in the NH thread! Posters on our forum weren't nearly as uninformed and downright nasty!

So, "live free or die" to you all in NH and remember- never never never wear a helmet!

Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 PM

367 posts, read 545,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Having just re-read both threads, ours and the same one in the NH forum, I think the OP has made the right choice for her family's conservative views. Good luck to them.

BTW, every Rhode Islander who posts here should read all the hate and the misinformation posted about RI in the NH thread! Posters on our forum weren't nearly as uninformed and downright nasty!

So, "live free or die" to you all in NH and remember- never never never wear a helmet!
I agree with Holly on this. Although there are aspects of Rhode Island I don't like, I don't appreciate the tasteless comments about the state that were posted by several folks in the NH forum and would encourage the boorish behavior to "die" rather than "live free[ly]." To quote a phrase from Henry van Dyke: "Tact is the unsaid part of what you think; its opposite, the unthought part of which you say."

Old 09-27-2013, 12:33 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
Haha...thanks for the info Mass Native. Btw, decided on taking the job in NH. Should be moving there by the end of Oct. Yay!
Congratulations!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Having just re-read both threads, ours and the same one in the NH forum, I think the OP has made the right choice for her family's conservative views.
New Hampshire is like a liberal oasis compared to Texas haha. They have gay civil unions for one thing...the Religious Right doesn't tend to be crazy about that. They also went for Obama by like 8 points in 2012!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 AM

323 posts, read 346,343 times
In my defense, (since politics was brought up above) politics is probably the least of my concerns. Do I lean more to the conservative side as mentioned above? Yes but it's actually more libertarian. I'm not a fan of insane taxes or big government. Is that why I chose New Hampshire? Nope. I chose NH because the cost of living is lower and it has the quality of life I want for my family. Politics was WAY down at the bottom of that list.

Just wanted to set the record straight. Thanks

Old 09-27-2013, 12:03 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
In my defense, (since politics was brought up above) politics is probably the least of my concerns. Do I lean more to the conservative side as mentioned above? Yes but it's actually more libertarian. I'm not a fan of insane taxes or big government...
Libertarians are, in my experience, Republicans who are too ashamed to admit it. And I don't think your politics were ever mentioned: what was discussed or referred to was your religious conservatism, your personal and family values --which are things you raised and raised as important issues to you. It's so funny! I'm just like you -- the least political person on earth.

But having said all that, I expect you will be facing a culture shock when you move up north, just as I would were I to move down south. I hope the transition is smooth and that you enjoy your time here in New England.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks a lot Alfie! To be honest, I did tend to lean more towards Republican for a lot of years, b ut I've watched things split so much and go nuts on both sides that I just stopped caring. My mindset is to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal but neither side offers that choice so I just sit in the middle and try to vote for whoever offers something close to what I believe. If I can't decide, I just don't vote (God forbid! haha).

Anyway, yeah, I am sure it will be a bit of a shock, but I'm ok with that. Change IS a good thing and experiencing different areas and meeting different ppl only help me to grow as a person.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
OT, but Alfie, I'm sure there are some who call themselves Libertarians who are just Republicans under a different name. But there ARE those of us who call ourselves Libertarians and don't prescribe to many of the Republican beliefs. I am completely for gay marriage, all gay rights, abortions, drug use, prostitution, basically, whatever a person wants to do that makes him/her happy. The only 2 caveats are: Don't harm me. Don't cost me money. I think taxes are a necessity to provided for our infrastructure, but don't over-tax me and waste it. My belief is that neither the Democrats or Republicans have my best interests in mind when they make their decisions, and until a 3rd or 4th party becomes viable, we're going to continue spiraling downwards.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Change IS a good thing and experiencing different areas and meeting different ppl only help me to grow as a person.
I know that sounds cheesy, but I actually DO believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island