Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:35 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,439,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
OT, but Alfie, I'm sure there are some who call themselves Libertarians who are just Republicans under a different name. But there ARE those of us who call ourselves Libertarians and don't prescribe to many of the Republican beliefs

I take you at your word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
I know that sounds cheesy, but I actually DO believe it.
It doesn't sound cheesy and I'm sure you believe it. Be sure to keep the forum updated after you make your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 09:45 AM

4,264 posts, read 3,121,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
I agree with Holly on this. Although there are aspects of Rhode Island I don't like, I don't appreciate the tasteless comments about the state that were posted by several folks in the NH forum and would encourage the boorish behavior to "die" rather than "live free[ly]." To quote a phrase from Henry van Dyke: "Tact is the unsaid part of what you think; its opposite, the unthought part of which you say."
Hadn't heard that before, but I love it!

Old 11-07-2013, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,110 times
A positive RI post: I spent my childhood in rural Foster, and moved to central Florida in the mid-70's. Sure it was great to be close to shops, restaurants, Disney World, etc... but I am WAAAAAY over it all and long to spend the 2nd half of my life (we're retired) in RI... the Foster/Glouster area, or possibly the Warwick area near the water. People say, "WHY do you want to move from sunny Florida, the beaches, low taxes, wearing shorts year-round, and all the attractions"? There's not enough room here to write about all the bad stuff here (Google it). We visit RI every few years, and we have encountered nice people everywhere we go. RI is a beautiful state- sure ALL states have good & bad areas. I miss the beauty of the forests, rural roads, ocean, historic buildings & landmarks, fabulous seafood, lovely parks, chnage of seasons (not the cold hard winters), and the proximity to visiting all areas of new England and NYC too. You think you have it bad until you go someplace that is worse. If you're nice & friendly to people, most will treat you the same. Sure, there are some locals that will look at you with disdain, but that's most anywhere you go. A smile is all you need for those people. I LOVE RI!!!

Last edited by FlaBeachBum; 11-07-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,553,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBeachBum View Post
A positive RI post: I spent my childhood in rural Foster, and moved to central Florida in the mid-70's. Sure it was great to be close to shops, restaurants, Disney World, etc... but I am WAAAAAY over it all and long to spend the 2nd half of my life (we're retired) in RI... the Foster/Glouster area, or possibly the Warwick area near the water. People say, "WHY do you want to move from sunny Florida, the beaches, low taxes, wearing shorts year-round, and all the attractions"? There's not enough room here to write about all the bad stuff here (Google it). We visit RI every few years, and we have encountered nice people everywhere we go. RI is a beautiful state- sure ALL states have good & bad areas. I miss the beauty of the forests, rural roads, ocean, historic buildings & landmarks, fabulous seafood, lovely parks, chnage of seasons (not the cold hard winters), and the proximity to visiting all areas of new England and NYC too. You think you have it bad until you go someplace that is worse. If you're nice & friendly to people, most will treat you the same. Sure, there are some locals that will look at you with disdain, but that's most anywhere you go. A smile is all you need for those people. I LOVE RI!!!
I haven't been to Florida since 1981. was in Orlando, Tampa, Daytona in 1979 and 81.
From what I've heard, the area is dramatically different now.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:34 AM

372 posts, read 574,463 times
Default This was nice to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBeachBum View Post
^^^
I really liked reading this post. When my friend and I decided to visit RI for a short trip, for my grave-chasing purposes, people asked us, "WHY do you want to go to Rhode ISLAND?"

Your post hits on much of what I saw and I look forward to experiencing the rest, in more depth, someday soon, because after only a few days, I love RI too.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,811 times
When will you be relocating to Rhode Island?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,229,350 times
If the job is in Woonsocket, you should also consider many good towns just over the border in MA: Douglas, Uxbridge, Blackstone, Bellingham, and Franklin, etc. The most viable is Franklin, which has made many national "best towns" list everyone on c-d seems to love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island