Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 PM

16 posts, read 38,177 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone - my wife and I are looking to move from Danbury, CT to somewhere in RI. My wife got a job offer at Tiffany & Co in Woonsocket and I am a self employed photographer. We are 29 years old with a 1 year old son. We originally came from a small town in NH before CT and we were bored out of our minds, once we moved to CT it got better but the cost of living in fairfield county is out of control.

Where towns would be a good starting point to start looking for homes/apts in RI. We would like to live in a town with lots not do; beach, shopping malls, gyms and restaurants and of course, good schools.

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Since your son is only one I'd forget the good schools for a few years since there is a very limited number of good public school districts around. If I were you, I'd start out renting on the East Side of Providence since that meets all the rest of your criteria. Beaches will be a short drive away but you'll be within relatively easy commuting distance (<25 min) to Woonsocket. You could probably get a decent 2 bedroom in a multi-family house in the 12- 1400 range. Since you're relatively close, you can drive here and look around first hand.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM

8 posts, read 24,664 times
If schools are important (of course) and you're looking for a Fairfield County look and feel, I would suggest East Greenwich. It's about 35 minutes from Woonsocket and 30 minutes to South County Beaches. The Hill and Harbor district in East Greenwich is full of great restaurants, shopping, and recreation opportunities. If you like to sail or just hang out around the harbor and take pictures, you can't beat it in the summer. Goddard State Park is right across Greenwich Cove, too.

If you go with the East Side and stay, you will have to go with private schools (if you want good schools). Hope that helps!

Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 PM

171 posts, read 309,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny401 View Post
If schools are important (of course) and you're looking for a Fairfield County look and feel, I would suggest East Greenwich. It's about 35 minutes from Woonsocket and 30 minutes to South County Beaches. The Hill and Harbor district in East Greenwich is full of great restaurants, shopping, and recreation opportunities. If you like to sail or just hang out around the harbor and take pictures, you can't beat it in the summer. Goddard State Park is right across Greenwich Cove, too.

If you go with the East Side and stay, you will have to go with private schools (if you want good schools). Hope that helps!
Don't completely discount the public schools in Providence. More East Side families are sending their kids to the neighborhood elementary and middle schools and have been very happy the education their kids receive. Also, Classical High School, a school where a placement exam is required, was rated the best high school in the state by US News and World Report.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeStreet View Post
Don't completely discount the public schools in Providence. More East Side families are sending their kids to the neighborhood elementary and middle schools and have been very happy the education their kids receive. Also, Classical High School, a school where a placement exam is required, was rated the best high school in the state by US News and World Report.
True that the east side middle school has certainly improved and Classical High has always ranked well, but both Vartan Gregorian and Martin Luther King elementary get some mighty low marks as elementary schools. I'm sure there are charter schools and possibly lower tuition (??) elementary situations on the East Side that might be better.

The thing is, the OP wants all the amenities of an urban area when the highest ranking elementary schools are mostly in the suburbs. East greenwich would be a lousy commute on I95, IMO.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 PM

52 posts, read 137,135 times
I'd check out Pawtucket. Should be quite affordable.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:26 PM

61 posts, read 71,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactown024 View Post
Hey everyone - my wife and I are looking to move from Danbury, CT to somewhere in RI. My wife got a job offer at Tiffany & Co in Woonsocket and I am a self employed photographer. We are 29 years old with a 1 year old son. We originally came from a small town in NH before CT and we were bored out of our minds, once we moved to CT it got better but the cost of living in fairfield county is out of control.

Where towns would be a good starting point to start looking for homes/apts in RI. We would like to live in a town with lots not do; beach, shopping malls, gyms and restaurants and of course, good schools.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Try elmwood or maybe olneyville or maybe near douglas ave

Old 11-09-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushidoBrown187 View Post
Try elmwood or maybe olneyville or maybe near douglas ave
None of the above fits the OP's criteria.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:08 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
well, all of RI is close to the beach. so it depends on how close you need to be.
it also sounds like you would be wise to consider affordability and proximity to
highways so you can hop over to Woonsocket. Woonsocket is about as far
from the beaches as you can get in this state, so you'll have to decide what
is most important, a short communte to work or proximity to beaches.
East Greenwich is expensive, compared to places in Warwick and North Kingstown
which are very close by. Peace Dale (Wakefield) is very close to our best beaches,
and is affordable but a solid 40min commute to Woonsocket.
Warwick and North Kingstown are closer. It all depends on how far a commute
to work you can tolerate. There's also nothing wrong with living cheap in
Woonsocket for a while.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:29 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times
I think you should consider living in Lincoln or Cumberland. They are not close to the beach, but they'll be a short commute from work, a short hop to the city and its activities, and they have good schools. They may be more suburban than you want, but they're not totally sleepy and boring, and Providence is just down 146. Both are very nice towns, IMO. For shopping, you're close to Attleboro's Emerald Square Mall, the Lincoln Mall and not far from Patriot Place. Likely, you'll be going to the beach on weekends anyway, when a longer drive isn't an issue.

Actually, another really good option might be North Smithfield. Close to work and probably cheaper than Lincoln anyway - somebody else could probably give you more information on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island