Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,436,355 times

Advertisements

New York didn't make the list, nor did LA, but good old Providence made it to the Top 15 Gayest Cities in America, as voted by the Advocate magazine, coming in at 12th.

I think gayness is the biggest growth industry in the state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 12:52 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,756,912 times
My stepdaughter was Miss Lesbian RI last year. We always said, the biggest boon to the RI economy would be when gays are allowed to marry legally!

Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM

7,930 posts, read 4,591,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
New York didn't make the list, nor did LA, but good old Providence made it to the Top 15 Gayest Cities in America, as voted by the Advocate magazine, coming in at 12th.

I think gayness is the biggest growth industry in the state!
Providence is a terrific town and comfortable for gay people as it should be, but this is an absurd article with even more absurd criteria. It has to be meant to sell controversy, magazines and advertising. Anybody who lives in or has been to some of the other backwater cities, named to the top 15, must know this.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,756,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Providence is a terrific town and comfortable for gay people as it should be, but this is an absurd article with even more absurd criteria. It has to be meant to sell controversy, magazines and advertising. Anybody who lives in or has been to some of the other backwater cities, named to the top 15, must know this.
It is horrifically subjective, agreed. I tell you, though, I never would have thought Las Vegas would be a gay mecca, but it certainly is! Perhaps it's due to the Libertarian vibe here, where nobody really cares if you're gay or straight. I'm very surprised it didn't make the list.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 PM

I agree the ranking criteria is horrifically subjective, but, having travelled to 48 states, I think it is indeed fair to say that Providence is exceptionally gay friendly. I see gay guys and lesbians walking holding hands all the time. Try that in Dallas and see how well that works out. I much prefer gay life in PVD than I did in Manhattan -- much saner and more integrated into the fabric of the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Old 09-25-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Providence is a terrific town and comfortable for gay people as it should be...
I wish ten other posters would post what you did: Providence is a terrific town.

I'm sick to death of people badmouthing the city. I mentioned this via DM to a pal of mine on the forum just today: I am so glad I moved here. I'm having so much more fun in Providence than I did in Manhattan. Now, that may seem crazy, but it isn't. People are genuine (which isn't always pretty), people are friendly, and the gay community is NORMAL. It's not insane like New York, it's not as superficial, it's not fashionista-driven. People remember my name here, people ask what book I'm reading, they remember a story I told six months ago, they razz me when the Yankees lose, they let me cheat at pool because I suck so bad at it. I feel at home here, I feel safe, and welcome, and I value that. I just wish more natives really understood how cool Providence is.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:48 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,983,838 times
Quote:
I mentioned this via DM to a pal of mine on the forum
Aw shucks

Old 09-25-2013, 01:45 PM

7,930 posts, read 4,591,518 times
Quote:
I wish ten other posters would post what you did: Providence is a terrific town.

I'm sick to death of people badmouthing the city. I mentioned this via DM to a pal of mine on the forum just today: I am so glad I moved here. I'm having so much more fun in Providence than I did in Manhattan. Now, that may seem crazy, but it isn't. People are genuine (which isn't always pretty), people are friendly, and the gay community is NORMAL. It's not insane like New York, it's not as superficial, it's not fashionista-driven. People remember my name here, people ask what book I'm reading, they remember a story I told six months ago, they razz me when the Yankees lose, they let me cheat at pool because I suck so bad at it. I feel at home here, I feel safe, and welcome, and I value that. I just wish more natives really understood how cool Providence is.
AlfieBoy, I'm glad you're enjoying such a honeymoon with your Providence. May it last forever! Sometimes they do. However, if it doesn't, don't worry, my guess is with the good start you've made, the relationship will endure regardless.

-Someone who's lived off and on (currently on) in Providence for over 20 years.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:03 PM

9,243 posts, read 14,800,518 times
Providence embodies the advantages of being a medium size city which is why I wouldn't want to see a whole lot more growth. We're big enough to be sophisticated and cosmopolitan yet small enough to create community and for people to "remember your name".

Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 23,676,916 times
Quote:
This is the same magazine that rated Salt Lake City as the # 1 gayest city in America (yeah okay ) either last year or the year before. Not because it is, because they want it to be. But then again, if they said somewhere obvious like San Francisco, Seattle or NYC most would give the article a pass anyway so it's basically writers who do the same lists every year that are running out of material.

The article not withstanding, Providence is indeed a very good and comfortable city for gays to reside in, but I feel that way about most of New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: