Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 06:01 PM

13 posts, read 19,714 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data, Rhode Island!

The current state of California, financial freedom, and my love of New England has prompted a potential move to one of my favorite cities: Providence, RI. Now, I admit my fascination with Rhode Island stems almost completely from American History, and Providence native/father of modern Horror -- H.P Lovecraft.

Lovecraft was incredibly knowledgeable of his hometown, and speaks unbelievably high of it in his personal letters, in addition to using it's locations in many of his stories. For those who aren't aware, his tombstone in Swan Point cemetery even reads "I am Providence" -- so you can easily comprehend his love of Providence.

Now, with that said -- Lovecraft's Providence (aside from it's buildings) doesn't seem to exist anymore. I have a few questions in regard to the current state of Providence, and hopefully I can get some insight from current (or past) Rhode Islanders.

First off, my girlfriend and I are both 29. I am in Internet Marketing, (work for myself) and we are coming from Hollywood, and more recently -- San Diego. We are done with Southern California, and found it's cost of living simply isn't worth the hassle of living there, nor it's people. We are hoping to make Providence our new home.

Now, onto the questions. These are mostly things that seem to be completely polarized, and even a little mysterious at times. Any information given will be greatly appreciated.

1. Is Downtown Providence a nice place to live? Right now, we are paying about $1750 a month for 1 bedroom in San Diego. We don't want to spend more than 2K a month. We have a Pug and a Netherlands Dwarf rabbit, and no kids (nor a desire to ever have them) I also am interested in Federal Hill.

2. How prominent is the Gay scene in Providence? While I have no problems with Gay people, annoying people on soapboxes tend to irritate me: regardless of the issue they are crusading.

3. What does the local music scene consist of?

4. I see a lot of negativity associated with Rhode Islander's view of "outsiders". What does that really entail? Are the people reporting that kind of stuff just socially awkward without thick skin? I just don't believe all the stigma around that sort of thing. Any clarification on this would be much appreciated.

That's enough to get the ball rolling I think. Thanks again for anything posted in the thread.

Last edited by Charles Dexter Ward; 09-28-2013 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 07:33 PM

8,022 posts, read 4,694,500 times
You may well be irritated by the prominence of the gay scene here. In Providence, intolerance is not much tolerated. Your particular interest in the gay "scene" as a self professed straight person is curious and not a good harbinger. Sorry you're fed up with CA, but whatever your disenchantment, it may follow you to Providence.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
You may well be irritated by the prominence of the gay scene here. In Providence, intolerance is not much tolerated. Your particular interest in the gay "scene" as a self professed straight person is curious and not a good harbinger. Sorry you're fed up with CA, but whatever your disenchantment, it may follow you to Providence.
Well, thank you Independent Man, for your wonderful and completely unpresumptuous contribution. First, who said anything about being "intolerant" ? I've spent the last 15 years in Southern California, and recently lived in San Diego -- where being "tolerant" towards Gay's is practically a prerequisite for living there.

Secondly, just because one has a legitimate question in regard to a very well advertised aspect of a city, doesn't immediately make them a homophobe, anti-Gay, or otherwise. Which seems to be what you're insinuating with your wonderfully written "subtext". I was honestly just asking a question about Providence.

Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dexter Ward View Post

The current state of California, financial freedom, and my love of New England has prompted a potential move to one of my favorite cities: Providence, RI. Now, I admit my fascination with Rhode Island stems almost completely from American History, and Providence native/father of modern Horror -- H.P Lovecraft.

Lovecraft was incredibly knowledgeable of his hometown, and speaks unbelievably high of it in his personal letters, in addition to using it's locations in many of his stories. For those who aren't aware, his tombstone in Swan Point cemetery even reads "I am Providence" -- so you can easily comprehend his love of Providence.

Now, with that said -- Lovecraft's Providence (aside from it's buildings) doesn't seem to exist anymore. I have a few questions in regard to the current state of Providence, and hopefully I can get some insight from current (or past) Rhode Islanders.

First off, my girlfriend and I are both 29. I am in Internet Marketing, (work for myself) and we are coming from Hollywood, and more recently -- San Diego. We are done with Southern California, and found it's cost of living simply isn't worth the hassle of living there, nor it's people. We are hoping to make Providence our new home.

Now, onto the questions. These are mostly things that seem to be completely polarized, and even a little mysterious at times. Any information given will be greatly appreciated.

1. Is Downtown Providence a nice place to live? Right now, we are paying about $1750 a month for 1 bedroom in San Diego. We don't want to spend more than 2K a month. We have a Pug and a Netherlands Dwarf rabbit, and no kids (nor a desire to ever have them) I also am interested in Federal Hill.

2. How prominent is the Gay scene in Providence? While I have no problems with Gay people, annoying people on soapboxes tend to irritate me: regardless of the issue they are crusading.

4. I see a lot of negativity associated with Rhode Islander's view of "outsiders". What does that really entail? Are the people reporting that kind of stuff just socially awkward without thick skin? I just don't believe all the stigma around that sort of thing. Any clarification on this would be much appreciated.

That's enough to get the ball rolling I think. Thanks again for anything posted in the thread.

It will be difficult for you to get unbiased advice on this thread if you look through most of the relocation type threads on this RI forum. Lots of anger and vitriol is regurgitated quite often.

New Hampshire, Maine, south shore of Mass., Cape Cod, the north shore of Mass. is lovely, even VT (although wickedly $$$) would be more attractive to you if you love New England; more bucolic, more conservative in many ways, a much higher number of level headed and well educated population that will make you feel welcome. Arts, entertainment, culture, clean well kept towns abound in history. Lexington MA, Concord MA for example. Cohasset, MA near the north shore. The better areas of New England are expensive as well, but nowhere near the COL of living as in Cali.

As a former Realtor and native RI'er for over 50 years, I didn't know what I was missing until I left RI years ago; and except for family there, and knowing what I know about the state, I would never even think about going back there.

Take an extended vacation and do some serious exploring, then weigh your options. You only want to move once.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
It will be difficult for you to get unbiased advice on this thread if you look through most of the relocation type threads on this RI forum. Lots of anger and vitriol is regurgitated quite often.

New Hampshire, Maine, south shore of Mass., Cape Cod, the north shore of Mass. is lovely, even VT (although wickedly $$$) would be more attractive to you if you love New England; more bucolic, more conservative in many ways, a much higher number of level headed and well educated population that will make you feel welcome. Arts, entertainment, culture, clean well kept towns abound in history. Lexington MA, Concord MA for example. Cohasset, MA near the north shore. The better areas of New England are expensive as well, but nowhere near the COL of living as in Cali.

As a former Realtor and native RI'er for over 50 years, I didn't know what I was missing until I left RI years ago; and except for family there, and knowing what I know about the state, I would never even think about going back there.

Take an extended vacation and do some serious exploring, then weigh your options. You only want to move once.
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. I will definitely look into the aforementioned cities.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Your particular interest in the gay "scene" as a self professed straight person is curious and not a good harbinger.
Don't think it's curious at all. Most people would not want to "live" in Provincetown for example (due that "scene" being so extreme). Does that make one homophobic?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:43 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Portsmouth, NH and Portland, ME are also two cities that might be of interest to you.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:10 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,750 times
You can still channel Lovecraft if you take a walk on Benefit Street in the Fall and the fog creeps up from the bay. Meanwhile, I don't have answers for all your questions. While Providence certainly has a fairly active gay scene, I cannot say that it has any kind of impact on living there. Yeah, there's gay bars, yeah, there are gay people around and we have the usual Gay Pride festivities. But it's not as if one's getting accosted by anybody and I cannot say I find the scene to be particularly annoying. It's a part of Providence and that's as it should be. It certainly shouldn't concern you when making a decision to move here.

Regarding the music scene, well, we have a scene. What it consists of is a pretty loaded question. The usual suspects or venues for music are AS220 or Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel. A quick search for those should point you to more information. There's also stuff going on in Newport.

Downtown Providence is nicer to live than it used to be. It certainly has improved a lot over the last couple years. However, it isn't a choice for everybody. See, while Rhode Island is a small state, it is still a state where, depending on what you're doing, you'll require a car to get around. We do have public transportation but it is unfortunately lacking a bit so it is difficult to reach somewhat 'remote' areas of the state via bus. Now, living in Downtown Providence and parking a car is a pain. We have a parking ban at night which only recently has been softened by allowing for certain zones where parking is permitted for a fee. There is also a very high excise tax associated with registering a car in Providence.

If you somehow think you can do without a car, living in Downtown Providence becomes less stressful. Do not expect a Manhattan flair though, large parts of Downtown are still ghost towns after dark and quite a few buildings are vacant shells. Some parts of Downtown are very nice though, especially during the day.

I must say that I found it to be a bit noisy, particularly on the weekends, because there's quite a club scene and you'll be exposed to a laughing and yelling crowd sometimes.

Also, I found the rents in Downtown to be a little too rich for what Downtown offers. But your mileage may vary there.

To make it short, Downtown would not be my first choice at this point. But you could do worse.

Finally, the outsiders thing. Yeah, there's some truth to that. People will not treat you nasty because you're from somewhere else but Rhode Island can be a bit cliquy, especially when you aren't a Rhode Islander. It can impact your networking and career as well as social options sometimes. However, it should not be a great concern of yours, if you're outgoing and nice it is likely people will respond in kind. To a certain extent.

Last edited by GermanSpy; 09-28-2013 at 09:20 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dexter Ward View Post

Downtown rentals are expensive and beyond your budget. And besides, it's loaded with gay bars.

Quote:
Quite. Intolerance is not part of the Providence scene and I share the alarm bells that you sense.

Quote:
Nice that you have "no problems" with gay people. Very white of you. "Annoying?" "Soapboxes?" "Crusading?" Code words, my dear, ugly code words. Providence is extremely gay friendly (not gay "tolerant," it's gay friendly). You will find gays and lesbians holding hands while walking downtown. You will find an active, embedded gay community that is well established in culture and in politics, and very much part of the fabric of the city. The Speaker of the House is gay. A congressman who was formerly mayor of Providence gay. The state has gay marriage. Gays are an integral part of the city.

Quote:
Oh, mostly gay music. Honest.

Quote:
As independent man stated, and I agree, the city welcomes open minded people and shuns closed minded people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilterchick
Residents of the city rejoice in our city and very pleased with the quality of life. I urge the poster to weigh the advice of those who live here, and to view with a jaundiced eye those who do not live here, yet proffer advice.

Based on your criteria, I honestly don't think it's a good fit. Sorry.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 09-29-2013 at 01:48 AM..

Old 09-29-2013, 01:33 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Don't think it's curious at all. Most people would not want to "live" in Provincetown for example (due that "scene" being so extreme). Does that make one homophobic?
Really? Your ignorance of the facts again betrays your credibility.

FACT:

Only 16 per 1000 of residents of Provincetown identify themselves as gay.

FACT:

Counting the District of Columbia as a state, instead of a city, the home of the nation’s capital has the most dense population of same-sex couple households –19.3 per 1,000.

Guess that "extreme" gayness doesn't affect the set of the national government. Geesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island