Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 07:47 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post

My. Trouble seems to follow you wherever you go. A friend of mine drove from Manhattan to Rhode Island last week and remarked at how courteous Rhode Island drivers were.
Yeah, it must be all in my imagination because your friend had a different observation.
Just wish my insurance rates would agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
No we are definitely in the South here...........and we try to blend in, not referring to how we do it up north. Jacksonville virtually has neither ethnic or cultural diversity, but there are other qualities.

We do have Red Sox plates on the cars and hang a New England Patriots flag on the house

Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
No we are definitely in the South here...........and we try to blend in, not referring to how we do it up north. Jacksonville virtually has neither ethnic or cultural diversity, but there are other qualities.

We do have Red Sox plates on the cars and hang a New England Patriots flag on the house

Same here, lots of folks from the northeast here in the mountains. Red Sox decals, Patriots etc., always get noticed. I've seen a black pickup in our town with Mass. tags on for over a year now ... why he wants to pay Mass. taxes while living here is nuts. But he probably still owns property there, dunno. Out of maybe 150 homes in our subdivision, there are probably 20 or 30 from various New England states. Some went to FL first and are now "half backs". Came back half way. Others just came directly, followed family or friends, etc. And very many folks here in the mountains are snowbirds, FL in the winter. They have the best of both worlds. We even have an RV parking lot in our subdivision, usually full year 'round with owners' RVs or visitors who can park there for 30 days. Nice amenity. Last week I met a gal from RI who is working near Brevard at the Rite Aid; she and her sis moved here from East Greenwich. We noticed each other's accent, and it was a "where are you from?" moment. It's definitely a mobile society.

The handyman who does my yard and odd jobs around the house is a true blue mountain native ... nicest most polite hard working guy you would ever want to meet. Sometimes doesn't even charge me. Now that's a treat ! Nice people are everywhere for sure. But rude drivers here ... not so much. If they honk & fly by in the passing lane and cut you off, we check their tags and 90% of the time they're from "away". One thing I noticed here years ago was that no one honks their horn at you if you're not off the mark at the red light in a nano second like northerners do, everyone is in such a dang hurry up there. Here, they just wait there patiently. Nice trait.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Nice post JB, but you cannot in any way compare Jax or any other traffic in FL to the 'south'; you've been out of RI for a long time, traffic is brutal within a certain radius around the City of Providence and the main artery interstates. It takes my niece over 45 mins. from the time she gets her car out of the parking garage at the Dunkin Center to drive to Arnold Mills in Cumberland. At least 20 mins. of that is spent waiting in traffic just to get on the highway, morning and night.

There are probably more RI'ers in most of the well known cities in FL than there are in any other state. They even have many RI "Clubs" all over FL. The traffic on the east coast of FL along the Rt. 95 corridor is brutal also; (that's why I bought a condo on the west coast of FL, the "quiet" side). But you are correct, rude uptight "me first" driversare a large commodity everywhere, whether it's Rt. 95 or Rt. 75 areas unfortunately.

FL is never referred to as "the south" by southerners, it just happens to be directionally south of Georgia and north of Cuba, but a nice place to visit and vacation in the winter.
Tampa traffic is ten times worse than Providence every day of the week. Hands down. No question.

If Providence's traffic were like Tampa's, it'd be like having our July 4th traffic all the time.

And it's true, you can't compare Jacksonville to Providence. One is a redneck stinkhole, the other is Providence

Old 09-29-2013, 09:41 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Quote:
Yes, I've seen those too. But native FL'ians have told me those are merely FL rednecks with an axe to grind about northerners taking over FL. We see extremely few redneck type trucks, and conf. flags or cami on anything here. Actually gun racks are not legal as far as I know. NC is quite conservative from east to west. Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi ... yep ... some still have a chip on the shoulders down there. But the south in general JB, is very polite and friendly. (The traffic in and around Charlotte though ... o.m.g. New Yorkers and NJ'ers have flocked to Charlotte, and you take your life in your hands around the main arteries and the ring roads.) People there have said they can hardly find a true southern accent around CLT anymore because of the influx. Beautiful city, wacky traffic.
Um, go to Dade City, and tell me you're not in the South. You can do it while you buy Confederate Flags from the dude selling gator meat out the back of his pick up. (Yeah, that's a thing.) Oh, and the black people and immigrants who they constantly try to throw off the voter rolls is mighty "South". (That goes for the whole state.)

Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Tampa traffic is ten times worse than Providence every day of the week. Hands down. No question.

If Providence's traffic were like Tampa's, it'd be like having our July 4th traffic all the time.

And it's true, you can't compare Jacksonville to Providence. One is a redneck stinkhole, the other is Providence
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............thanks, as a transplanted Yankee I cannot comment on Jacksonville to the extent you have

Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Guilty as charged. I'm the fast highway driver you all hate, though I'm not an insane driver and I'm one of the few people I know who takes it slow in parking lots and residential neighborhoods. I think people drive WAY too fast in parking lots with pedestrians darting out of the rows of cars and people attempting to back out of spaces. But highways were made for speed. ;-)

I find that in other parts of the country, they do everything so S-L-O-W-L-Y that it drives me insane, so it makes sense that would probably include driving as well.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:23 AM

Oh, and traffic is our own fault.

A Fantastically Clear, Concise Explanation of Why Traffic Happens - Eric Jaffe - The Atlantic Cities

Old 09-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Nice post JB, but you cannot in any way compare Jax or any other traffic in FL to the 'south'; you've been out of RI for a long time, traffic is brutal within a certain radius around the City of Providence and the main artery interstates. It takes my niece over 45 mins. from the time she gets her car out of the parking garage at the Dunkin Center to drive to Arnold Mills in Cumberland. At least 20 mins. of that is spent waiting in traffic just to get on the highway, morning and night.
Then she's doing it wrong. I did that commute every day and it didn't take me that long. BUT it's always a mess where the on ramp from Memorial Blvd onto 95 North merges with traffic trying to get to the right for the upcoming 146 exit. You've got people trying to get to the right, people trying to get to the left all at the same time in one of the more congested parts of the highway. And parking where she's parking puts her in the center of the sh-storm at 5 pm. It's less aggravating to go up Charles and get on 146 there. And even less aggravating to take the express bus. I used to park on N Main near the Pawtucket line and take the 99 in to avoid parking costs. The 99 runs every 10 minutes. I could take that one all the way home if I wanted, because it became the 71 and went into Lonsdale, but I generally got on the highway from there or just continued onto Main into Pawutucket, to Lonsdale, to Mendon Rd.

If I were here, I'd definitely try an alternative ramp onto the highway than the one she's taking.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:06 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Then she's doing it wrong. I did that commute every day and it didn't take me that long. BUT it's always a mess where the on ramp from Memorial Blvd onto 95 North merges with traffic trying to get to the right for the upcoming 146 exit. You've got people trying to get to the right, people trying to get to the left all at the same time in one of the more congested parts of the highway. And parking where she's parking puts her in the center of the sh-storm at 5 pm. It's less aggravating to go up Charles and get on 146 there. And even less aggravating to take the express bus. I used to park on N Main near the Pawtucket line and take the 99 in to avoid parking costs. The 99 runs every 10 minutes. I could take that one all the way home if I wanted, because it became the 71 and went into Lonsdale, but I generally got on the highway from there or just continued onto Main into Pawutucket, to Lonsdale, to Mendon Rd.

If I were here, I'd definitely try an alternative ramp onto the highway than the one she's taking.

Taking any bus is not an option. She has a management position, and has an assigned parking place. She is quite savvy at what is necessary and how to get around thank you; and as an aside, doesn't even feel safe walking from her building to the parking lot until she is inside her vehicle, locked. The company actually advises employees to leave in twos.

The OP's subject is traveling north to south and vice versa. So we won't be turning this thread into something else. You might want to take this to one of the other previous existing RI traffic threads. Thanks.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 09-29-2013 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island