Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,412 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting out of the Army and we are looking to see somewhere new in a few months when he gets out. As you can see by my username we really want to head west but because of moving costs we want to also look at somewhere close to us that we haven't seen yet. He is a PA, we have three boys, one in high school other two homeschooled. What can you tell me about beautiful RI that should encourage or discourage us from moving there? What are the best areas to raise a family? Talk to me about costs, taxes, anything of importance you can think of. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 02:14 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastorbust14 View Post
My husband is getting out of the Army and we are looking to see somewhere new in a few months when he gets out. As you can see by my username we really want to head west but because of moving costs we want to also look at somewhere close to us that we haven't seen yet. He is a PA, we have three boys, one in high school other two homeschooled. What can you tell me about beautiful RI that should encourage or discourage us from moving there? What are the best areas to raise a family? Talk to me about costs, taxes, anything of importance you can think of. Thanks!!
Congratulations on considering Rhode Island. There are many, many threads on the topic of moving here already posted and well developed. You might want to peruse them first and come back with specific questions.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM

5 posts, read 7,412 times
ok I will look through, thank you

Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 AM

82 posts, read 68,184 times
Of all the New England states, you probably could not pick a worse one to move to.

I moved down here from NH in 2000 for work and have watched the steady decline of this state while here. Or perhaps I'm just more aware of it the longer I stay. Unemployment is still over 9% and it appears that anyone with the means to do so is picking up their business and moving to another state. There is a massive "welfare mentality" among the populace here which is sucking the average taxpayer dry. My property taxes have gone through the roof, plus there is a seperate auto excise tax that I must pay. 7% sales tax kinda hurts too. If you drive an SUV that weighs over 4000 lb you pay more for registration was well.

Several cities are on the verge of bankruptcy as well. Woonsocket, the city I live in, has forced homeowners to pay a supplemental property tax which I think is scheduled to continue for the next five years.

The economy here is in shambles and what was the big topic of concern this year in the State house? Getting gay marriage passed. Now that that's passed, I'm sure it will fix everything.

Oh, and the compassion centers are open now. So if the economy gets you down, you can go pick up a bag and smoke your worries away.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:50 PM

233 posts, read 417,891 times
I'm originally from PA and moved up here last summer. I used to live in Maine and loved it and thought that all of New England was probably the same. I was dead wrong.
Providence is a dump. It's full of buildings that are falling apart, everyone's poor and it's very crowded, the roads will destroy your car very quickly.
The cities around the state border are usually nice and woodsy if you like that, but try to get as far from Providence as you can.
If you want my advice, move to Maine. I wouldn't even need to think about it...

Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM

21 posts, read 28,575 times
Anything you like about Rhode Island, Sminthian?

Old 10-07-2013, 03:46 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
There's a lot packed in here.. 30 miles you'll never understand
without seeing how much there is within that small diameter.
Sure can't say that for Maine, and this is coming from someone
who likes Maine a lot.. but you also better like driving long distances there.
That one town you live in can get pretty boring pretty fast.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 AM

233 posts, read 417,891 times
I like the woodsy areas, but I don't get out there much. I couldn't afford a house out there, so I'm in North Providence which is kinda suburban. There's lots of crime around here, but not on my street specifically. I hear police cars passing down Mineral Spring Avenue almost every hour all night long.
The drivers up here make me absolutely crazy, it's like there isn't a thought in their head while they're driving a 2,000 pound death machine.
Everyone is very into New England stuff. It's like this is the only place that matters at all. I talk with sort of a Philadelphia accent, so people are usually rude to me just for that.
I could spend all day complaining, but if I had it to do over again I wouldn't have moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island