Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:16 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,946 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I wanted to share one of those fascinating "life on planet Earth" kind of stories.

I grew up in RI, lived away for almost two decades, and now I'm back.

I'm not the kind of guy who thinks his parents are "the wicked best parents evah", and I had some bad (but not real, real bad) things happen to me growing up in RI as a child and teenager. So I've never had the most wonderful impression/opinion of RI.

Another thing, my parents are not native Rhode Islanders, so I always thought that the unique RI "New Joisey" accent and way of speaking sounded really uneducated and dumb.

One thing that left a lasting impression on me was the disturbing sense I gained as a youth that RI was a bit too much of a shabby, kinda run-down, lowest-common-denominator sort of place where the people in positions of authority were not the paragons of beneficent and wise leadership one might hope for.

For example, I recently realized that I was tossed from the first round of my first spelling bee competition for misspelling potato (singular) as potatoe. Already as a toddler I was voraciously reading many books (mostly fiction), and had probably come across potato spelled potatoe in printed text many times.

Did you know that only after 1900 apparently at some point the official grammarians of the US ruled that the correct singular spelling of potato is potato and that potatoe is to be deemed incorrect?

Now if told this little anecdote to a bunch of RI-ers, I'd wager dollars to Dunkin Donuts (hey, isn't that correctly spelled doughnuts? ahem) that someone would say in response, "Ayyyyy, yooz stupid frickin' idiot. You misspelled a word so you lost the contest. Quit complaining."

Are you loyal CD readers catchin' on to what I'm trying to say? There's a sort of skimming the surface of issues that goes on here (and I've come to find out that this is endemic to the entire US and not just to Rhode Island).

But the truth of all matters always makes it's little home within the more complex world lying "beneath the surface", so to speak.

So what I'm trying to point out here is, Rhode Islanders are NOT dumb, they just sound dumb.

If you are considering moving to RI, please realize that any first impressions you make may be totally incorrect.

We're our own little world here in RI, and visitors to the state won't have RI figured out until they've really spent some time here "down in the trenches" with all of us!

Nowadays I actually like Rhode Island more and more. The proximity to New York City and Boston is great. The weather has it's faults but it's very livable (um, or liveable). Often the weather is wonderful, like today!! Amazing beaches of all sorts tucked in all over the place around here. The whole "ocean" thing. Plus the "rural" outdoors thing. Plus the "urban" thing (Providence) just a half-hour drive from most anywhere. Yeah, RI is pretty cool!

Nowadays when I encounter a Rhode Islander in the course of daily life, I'm patient and take a deep breath, because I know that they just sound dumb, but most are not dumb at all.

BOTTOM LINE: Spelling bees are dumb. Rhode Islanders are NOT dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 PM

255 posts, read 881,900 times
Not for nuthin, but im clueless..LOL
oh my GAWD!!!! ha ha ha

Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM

I must say...I don't think its fair to assume someone doesn't sound "intelligent" based on their accent. Many people who articulate and have proper speech are air heads. Don't judge.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Also...I hate it when every other word is the f word, REGARDLESS OF ACCENT.
AND YES, I HAVE A HEAVY PROVIDENCE ACCENT. LOL

Old 07-28-2010, 01:04 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,394 times
That is sad in how you have stereotyped the good people of Rhode Island...I know a few people from Rhode Island and that is not my impression whatsoever.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 AM

I've noticed that no matter the accent, if the accent is native to the area people rag on it. If you read the other boards here they do the same to people from south boston, chicago, texas, and so on..I guess everyone wants a "generic" accent like a tv anchor person. *yawn*
I prefer the native accents..its fun!
Bring on the flava!

Old 08-16-2010, 04:50 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,117 times
Inner city lifestyle is a disease and the only way to cure it is not just through education, but an educational reform.

Perfect example: Central High

Old 08-17-2010, 02:49 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,967 times
Just have moved to the area, but we have had great conversations with RIers. They have been very kind and helpful and don't mind that WE are the ones with a funny accent (husband from South Dakota and me from Ohio)

Old 08-18-2010, 12:49 PM

9,284 posts, read 14,897,165 times
I was looking at furniture ads on Craigslist for RI. You know its a real RIder when they spell the way they talk:

shiffer robe

chest of draws

morden spacious 2 bedroom

Old 08-22-2010, 08:27 AM

76 posts, read 182,422 times
just yesterday, had a lady notice my accent. I have been in South Carolina since '84, and Warwick still shows up now and again! Try being an 18 yr old kid, and meeting a drill instructor from Alabama on Paris Island........those were fun days! They use to refer to me as "Yankee"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island