Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 06:01 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,477,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
First of all, you are wrong, the smallest national park in the nation is in Philadelphia.
A Brief History: The Smallest National Park Site : NPR

Secondly, I blame BOTH sides of the aisle for the shutdown and the mess we are in. I also think blind partisanship to either party, the notion that one side is good while the other side is bad is one of the big problems we face in this country and we won't ever move forward as Americans unless we stop demonizing the other side as the enemy. We need a strong alternative to the two party system, both of which are corrupt and ineffective.

The notion that either of these parties have your best interests at heart is a cynical ploy directed at the naive in order to gain votes and keep perpetuating more of the same.

As it is, the majority of citizens are too wrapped up in reality television, the latest gossip about the Kardashians or updating Facebook. The majority of citizens who actually ARE informed and follow the news are wrapped up in blind partisanship and flock to either Fox or MSNBC to listen to talking heads who are only all too eager to stoke their misplaced anger in search of ratings.

I'm sure the powers that be on both sides of the aisle must love that.

The best post on the entire forum ^^ Thank you VOR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 07:26 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,989,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Whitehouse is a moron, always has been. Got booted out of a large well respected Prov. law firm, d'oh.
And now he's just a mere Senator.

Of course, you don't dispute anything he says in the article Hollytree posted, because he's right.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:46 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,444,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
And now he's just a mere Senator.

Of course, you don't dispute anything he says in the article Hollytree posted, because he's right.
Of course, the fact that Whitehouse is considered one of the most liberal US senators has nothing to do with her animus towards him.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:40 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,565,402 times
None of the parks like this were shut down by Clinton in 1995.
The Lincoln Memorial was not shut down either.

Obviously there is no reason to shut down Roger Williams Memorial Park
as it is nothing more than some benches and picnic lawn.
The Executive Branch is grandstanding here, purposely trying to
draw attention to the "shutdown" for perceived political gain.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
The Lincoln Memorial was not shut down either.

Obviously there is no reason to shut down Roger Williams Memorial Park
as it is nothing more than some benches and picnic lawn.
The Executive Branch is grandstanding here, purposely trying to
draw attention to the "shutdown" for perceived political gain.
Really? Seems your memory is rusty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
A 2010 Congressional Research Service report summarized other details of the 1995-1996 government shutdowns, indicating the shutdown impacted all sectors of the economy. Health and welfare services for military veterans were curtailed; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stopped disease surveillance; new clinical research patients were not accepted at the National Institutes of Health; and toxic waste clean-up work at 609 sites was halted. Other impacts included: the closure of 368 National Park sites resulted in the loss of some seven million visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryNews
During the last government shutdown, for 28 days in 1995, national park closures sparked waves of angry calls to Congress and the White House.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:51 AM

4,307 posts, read 3,141,193 times
Quote:
Yes, they were the first thing shut down. I remember it well.

Of course it's done for effect, to some extent.

But so isn't the GOP's refusal to allow a vote.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:06 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,565,402 times
Alfie, sandsonik, no, those were real parks. where full time personnel
were required on a daily basis that were shut down in 1995.
I also remember it.
Obama is intentionally making it worse than it has to be
for drama effect. They are also begging for cry stories.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-05-2013 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-05-2013, 10:24 AM

9,260 posts, read 14,837,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Whitehouse is a moron, always has been. Got booted out of a large well respected Prov. law firm, d'oh.
I have to say that this is one of the most biased and least justified posts I have ever read on this forum. Ad hominem remarks towards such a distinguished and accomplished senator- shameful. http://www.whitehouse.senate.gov/new...nment-shutdown

Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 AM

4,307 posts, read 3,141,193 times
Quote:
Alfie, sandsonik, no, those were real parks. where full time personnel
were required on a daily basis that were shut down in 1995.
I also remember it.
Obama is intentionally making it worse than it has to be
for drama effect. They are also begging for cry stories.

Of course, Obama is making sure the shutdown is visible. I never denied that. Of course he did it for effect. And do you think the Republicans refusal to allow a vote on the CR, and forcing a shutdown wasn't also for effect? THE CR WOULD PASS, EASILY, IF BOEHNER WOULD ALLOW A VOTE. He set this in motion, he can't turn around and blame the other side for the shutdown.

But then by the Constitution, the President has no authority to pay any bills unless directed so by Congress. The GOP claim they're merely interested in saving money and being fiscally responsible - despite the fact that these shutdowns always end up costing us more money. Why would they want to keep the Info Ctr at RWMP open then?

I agree it seems a bit much to close down these outdoor monuments - but then I remember that the Lincoln memorial was spraypainted just a little while ago, and I can see the sense of closing them down if there's no security presence.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-05-2013 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I agree it seems a bit much to close down these outdoor monuments - but then I remember that the Lincoln memorial was spraypainted just a little while ago, and I can see the sense of closing them down if there's no security presence.
The government is shut down. We can't pick and choose what stays open and what closes. The Republicans, if that's what they really are these days, can end this madness by a simple up or down vote in the House. It's in their court and they richly deserve the heat they are getting. We are becoming a Banana Republic.

As to the Roger Williams park, I am honoring the closure, which led me to read the paper in beautiful Burnside Park instead.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-05-2013 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: response to deletion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island