Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 08:45 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
Wow I live here in RI and I didn't realize how pretty it is till I saw your pics. Too bad you have to be a millionaire to be able to afford the taxes here.
Funny, I'm not a millionaire, not even close - and I can afford the taxes. I get so sick of people complaining about the "taxes". YES - property taxes here are regressive, but if you move to other states they just get you another way.

Maybe if the GA raised the capital gains to previous levels, we'd start seeing property taxes come down - but not as long as Grandpa Don wants to strangle the budgets for every city and town in the State.

And we have yet to see if our Democratic GA will actually stand up to him.

Other than that, great pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 07:44 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,287,615 times
FYI- RI is the 5th most taxed state in the nation. And as long as the corrupt government continues in this state- nothing will change. I've lived in two other states besides RI so I can compare to some degree. It is impossible for a young couple starting out to buy a home in RI or a senior citizen in this state to afford their medications due to the high cost of living. This state is on the verge of financial collapse and you my friend make it sound like it's just peaches and cream here. Take a long hard look at the ineptness of our government here and the reasons why RI is losing it's population more than any other state right now.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
FYI- RI is the 5th most taxed state in the nation. And as long as the corrupt government continues in this state- nothing will change. I've lived in two other states besides RI so I can compare to some degree. It is impossible for a young couple starting out to buy a home in RI or a senior citizen in this state to afford their medications due to the high cost of living. This state is on the verge of financial collapse and you my friend make it sound like it's just peaches and cream here. Take a long hard look at the ineptness of our government here and the reasons why RI is losing it's population more than any other state right now.

Impossible huh? Actually no. If you're a first time homebuyer the RI Housing Authority offers you a way better deal here than I could have ever gotten when I lived in FL. I'm 29 and I just bought my first home after living here four years.

I found a decent job afte only being in the State for a month and I still haev that job now. It's been able to support me just fine, and without kids I would only be considered middle class.

Keep on gripin'.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:48 PM

23 posts, read 143,540 times
Well i hope all you dommsday people move out of Rhode Island. and don't let the door hit you in the butt.
I came here over fifty years ago and the only way I will leave here is in a box. Yes the pictures where nice and the state is beautiful sure the winters can be hard but all of you who can't take the winters then go to Florida and stop crying.But when you go to Florida don't keep calling your friends back here and asking what's the weather like in RI..I laugh like hell at that one. If you say it is 15 degrees they are surprised and say it is 80 here in FL. My reply always is well that's why you are down there you dumb ass and here in RI. it is supposed to be cold in Feb.

Last edited by Buzz858; 02-11-2008 at 01:57 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 09:26 AM

11 posts, read 43,579 times
We live in Coventry and the taxes are insane and the town services just don't warrant what we're paying!! We are moving out of Coventry hopefully this year!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 AM

14 posts, read 54,037 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you I have friends in Florida who have a beutiful home and ther taxes are 1500 less than mine and there house is only 5 years old there insurance is the same as mine and they live on the gulf coast in hurricane area plus they dont pay state tax we pay so much to live here and they keep raising everything people that defend this place should do some research like you have its a terrible place to live when the people that work for us are crooked criminals

Old 02-22-2008, 08:56 AM

The FL govt. is corrupt as hell! And people are leaving in droves. I am FROM FL and my parents and sister are still down there. The enlightened State legislature just finally announced that evolution is probably real. (Pushed it through by a one vote margin.)

The state still executes people, and the property taxes are going up.

Then you have the bugs with their own matched luggage! I'll stay here, thanks.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:57 PM

564 posts, read 1,878,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post

The state still executes people,
You say that like it's a bad thing....

LOL

Old 02-22-2008, 02:50 PM

Oh and don't forget the way higher crime rate. FL is one of the most dangerous places to live in the country. Sorry I left that out.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,222 times
I'm moving down to RI from Maine...the #1 taxed state in the country...so it looks like I'm at least making an improvement! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island