U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 PM

10 posts, read 18,500 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

NJ lady here. It's possible Hubby and I will be relocating for me to go to University of RI next year for grad school. It would be both of our first times moving out of state, and the farthest away from where we grew up!

My question is, how is the Kingston area? Good? Safe? Culturally diverse? The last one is just as important to the two of us as we're an interracial couple (me East Asian and him Italian). We are probably going to want an apartment, somewhat of a short commute to uRI would be nice, and we will have cars. What towns (if not Kingston itself) would be nice to live in? We're up for the suburban lifestyle, but nothing too expensive! One of us is going to be a student, after all.

I would appreciate any advice about where to live/what the school area is like. My husband and I are not particularly extroverted people, we like our privacy and peace! We just want something decent and safe, and not too annoying/long of a commute to school.

I've never been to Rhode Island before so I'd love to hear about what it's like to live there. I was raised in suburban central NJ.

Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:59 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,203,041 times
URI is located in Washington County aka South County. It is suburban/rural and very popular for its beaches.

Your main shopping areas closest to URI are Wakefield and to a much lesser extent Narragansett.

The communities around URI are safe. The hard part will be finding an annual rental as most are for the 9 month school year, then reverting to summer rentals.

Do you have a budget?

Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Hi! Thanks for your response!

We haven't really settled all the details of budgeting just yet. But of course we don't need anything particularly luxurious (just a couple of newlyweds, here!), a one bedroom kind of thing will do. Maybe no more than $1200-$1300/mo for rent, I would guess? And a 30 minute maximum commute would be optimal. To be honest, we just want somewhere that is neat and doesn't have any bugs, haha!

Edit: How's Warwick? Coventry? Wakefield? Kingston itself? Much appreciated!

Last edited by lisathebiologist; 10-14-2013 at 10:37 AM..

Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathebiologist View Post
Hi! Thanks for your response!

We haven't really settled all the details of budgeting just yet. But of course we don't need anything particularly luxurious (just a couple of newlyweds, here!), a one bedroom kind of thing will do. Maybe no more than $1200-$1300/mo for rent, I would guess? And a 30 minute maximum commute would be optimal. To be honest, we just want somewhere that is neat and doesn't have any bugs, haha!

Edit: How's Warwick? Coventry? Wakefield? Kingston itself? Much appreciated!
Your budget is do-able.

Warwick, too far...Coventry rather sleepy. Wakefield is okay, much prefer Narragansett though. Kingston.......it's okay........most rentals are undergraduate shared houses.......

Old 10-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Thanks! Of course now my husband says I overshot and anything between $800-$1100 is a better estimate for what would be manageable. We'll see if that's the direction we end up in. Just the information we needed.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:00 PM

The URI housing website has listings of available apts/houses. There are annual rentals available.. typically for graduate students and faculty.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 15,260 times
Not sure about price (since I'm an undergrad and I'm not worried about school yet), but I can tell you the area's nice! It's not a busy town, but it's livelier than UConn, and it's pretty and safe. While it's a party school, the town doesn't necessarily revolve around it like Storrs does, and you could probably find a quiet area. Like someone else posted, there is housing for grad students that you can find through their website. You're not going to find much diversity, but no one's going to hold anything against you for being an interracial couple! I haven't noticed any racism ever, but I'm also white.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:04 PM

Husband and I know ALL about party schools--we're Rutgers graduates! But the catch is we aren't partiers at ALL and we commuted as undergrads. Good to know we can find quieter spots within the area, though! Nothing's more important to him than his peace and quiet!

We'll be sure to look around as the whole thing is just pending at the moment.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 PM

9,982 posts, read 7,879,075 times
URI area is not very culturally diverse at all. Yes, with students, but not
the locals, mostly swamp yankee down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>