Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,444,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
As much as Mazze acts as a conservative shill, he does usually bring balance to the Rhode Island economic conversation. But, in this case he's way off base and demonstrates he knows little about what makes the heart and soul of a city.
Google him. Read what his students say about him. See what he says about his students. The guy is a, well, you know. Begins with "A"

Downtown is nothing without that building -- it's our Empire State Building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:04 AM

9,260 posts, read 14,834,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Agreed 100%.

But... Oh, no, the solution is simple! Pour $50-$100 million into a highly speculative cloverleaf development on the water, with 80% of it covered in clover and parking and fuggetaboutit downtown! WHAT COULD GO WRONG! I mean, this city clealry knows how to wisely invest in our future!

So long as the lantern shines on the Superman building, even if vacant, all is right with the world! Just don''t obscure my view of the river!

Yawn. It's that sort of provincial East Side "thinking" that's led to the stunning decline of this city. If I wanted bad planning/bad development, I'd swiftly pack my kit and move back to Manhattan, which may not be a bad idea, as this sort of nonsense is an everyday occurrence here. I mean, let's defy every known concept of urban development, let's forget about the many "missing teeth" of downtown and instead focus on a shiny, if utterly ephemeral new object!

Wanted/Needed: new thinking. The old folks have screwed up enough, thank you.
Who's thinking provincially? Are you saying you think the I195 development and the Fleet Center shouldn't or can't take place simultaneously?

Plans go back years for the freeway I195 moving project. That land was always assumed to be part of a new development for the city. As for public money being put into the basic infrastructure, I believe developers usually add basic improvements to the plots (water pipes, electrical, etc) and then get their money back from the person/s who buy the land to build on it.

All the Fleet Center needs is a buyer with vision and money. High Rock bought it assuming they were going to be heavily subsidized- now they're holding the bag. They need to sell the building to someone who can make it happen.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:08 PM

7,970 posts, read 4,624,828 times
Absolutely, they need to sell it to someone who can make it happen. Unfortunately, the building's worth less than $0 as it sits today. Now what?

Old 02-12-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Absolutely, they need to sell it to someone who can make it happen. Unfortunately, the building's worth less than $0 as it sits today. Now what?
The city and state are going to have to cough up some money, perhaps serious money. It cannot stay vacant. I'm sorry to be so passionate about this and probably angering or boring other posters, but, as you said, the building is downtown. As a ex-boss liked to say, "Don't fix the blame, fix the problem." And fix KP while doing it. C'mon, this used to be a city of big ideas -- moving rivers, moving rail tracks. Used to read about PVD in the NY Times all the time as a miracle come-back city. Where's that energy now, now that we need it? Where's the vision? (And... it's just one building, and we ain't Detroit, so it's totally fixable.)

Old 02-12-2014, 02:50 PM

7,970 posts, read 4,624,828 times
Quote:
The city and state are going to have to cough up some money, perhaps serious money. It cannot stay vacant. I'm sorry to be so passionate about this and probably angering or boring other posters, but, as you said, the building is downtown. As a ex-boss liked to say, "Don't fix the blame, fix the problem." And fix KP while doing it. C'mon, this used to be a city of big ideas -- moving rivers, moving rail tracks. Used to read about PVD in the NY Times all the time as a miracle come-back city. Where's that energy now, now that we need it? Where's the vision? (And... it's just one building, and we ain't Detroit, so it's totally fixable.)
Sounds like the clarion call for the 3rd rein of Mayor Buddy Cianci!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:01 PM

Uh, maybe the building isn't that important.

Funny, though, that when Don (or Donna) Carceri was in office, that loathsome, hateful anti-equality Republican extremist, the state had no hesitation in coughing up serious money for a totally, obviously bad investment. Were palmed greased?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:59 PM

23,296 posts, read 18,454,689 times
Quote:
Uh, maybe the building isn't that important.

Funny, though, that when Don (or Donna) Carceri was in office, that loathsome, hateful anti-equality Republican extremist, the state had no hesitation in coughing up serious money for a totally, obviously bad investment. Were palmed greased?

Don "Carcieri", is that who you meant to say? I know how RI is SO much better off with that pathetic, hateful, anti-family, Liberal extremist Chafee and his $38m embarrassment.

As for the Superman, the only chance of success is if they turn it into "affordable housing" for NYers whos bennies have run out.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM

I e-mailed Speaker Fox in support of major incentives to the developer. Got this response:

Quote:
Thank you for writing to me in favor of providing state assistance to the Superman Building. I agree with your sentiments that it is disturbing to see such an iconic building in downtown Providence vacant. I have been a Providence resident my entire life and I understand the value that such an important building brings to our city. However, the developer of the project was seeking about $30 million in state assistance last year, and in these difficult budgetary times, we believed that the cost was too steep. The developer was eligible for $5 million in historic tax credits from the state but chose not to apply.

The developer has not submitted a request this year for state assistance. Should he do so, we will carefully review the request and our House Finance Committee will hold a public hearing. Thank you again for expressing your support on behalf of this project.

Sincerely,

Speaker Gordon D. Fox
Doesn't sound encouraging. When I have time over the weekend, I intend to follow-up and to pester members of the House Finance Committee, at least those not in jail or pending sentencing.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM

9,260 posts, read 14,834,877 times
Update:

Paolino strikes again and scoops up another iconic downtown building.

Paolino Properties purchases historic Cherry & Webb building | WPRI 12

Old 03-07-2014, 07:26 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,767,123 times
"The building also formerly housed WPRI-TV, which was then WPRO-TV, during its debut in 1055."

Wow, that station has been around for a LONG time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island