Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:50 PM

13 posts, read 19,720 times

Advertisements

The post title says it all. If you are truly interested in moving to Rhode Island, fly out and see it for yourself. It's as simple as that. My girlfriend and I just got back to San Diego after spending 5 days at the Hotel Providence, (great hotel by the way) and it's seriously amazing how much we were able to see and accomplish for our move: which is now officially next month.

After visiting Rhode Island and reviewing my original post here, it's hilarious how much bad information is presented in that thread. My 5 day trip to RI was by far one of the best times I've had, and I can't wait to start shipping stuff out, and getting the move going.

I was able to get an awesome 2 bedroom loft on Westminster for a really great price! We didn't encounter any of the proverbial Rhode Island cynicism/rudeness/ etc -- in fact, we actually ended up partying pretty hard with a group of Rhode Islanders we met at The Capital Grille (?) No issues at all. Great people all around. Everyone from RI was super cool to us. Not one bad thing to report.

The food is RI is everything people say it is. See in CA, we have everything -- but it's not all good.

One thing I did find interesting though, is that apparently I possess a "TV Voice" to Rhode Islanders. I don't have any trace of an accent, and my dialect isn't plagued with "likes" "dudes" and "umms" - so it was funny to hear that I have an accent.

Thank you to the few people in my original thread here that contributed worthwhile info. To the others that were apparently offended with me asking legitimate questions about the Gay Scene in RI (which by the way is so mellow compared to Hollywood, and SD it's hilarious) and spouting off bad information left and right -- you guys are doing a huge disservice to your state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 PM

171 posts, read 309,011 times
Glad you enjoy your stay and good luck to you on your move. Feel free to ask any questions about the area.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
well I just checked your previous thread in which you asked advice
from Rhode Islanders, a.k.a. "Vo-Dye-lun-duhs", and I didn't reply to that
thread, so nobody can say I contributed to the disinfo.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:21 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dexter Ward View Post
The post title says it all. If you are truly interested in moving to Rhode Island, fly out and see it for yourself. It's as simple as that. My girlfriend and I just got back to San Diego after spending 5 days at the Hotel Providence, (great hotel by the way) and it's seriously amazing how much we were able to see and accomplish for our move: which is now officially next month.

After visiting Rhode Island and reviewing my original post here, it's hilarious how much bad information is presented in that thread. My 5 day trip to RI was by far one of the best times I've had, and I can't wait to start shipping stuff out, and getting the move going.

I was able to get an awesome 2 bedroom loft on Westminster for a really great price! We didn't encounter any of the proverbial Rhode Island cynicism/rudeness/ etc -- in fact, we actually ended up partying pretty hard with a group of Rhode Islanders we met at The Capital Grille (?) No issues at all. Great people all around. Everyone from RI was super cool to us. Not one bad thing to report.

The food is RI is everything people say it is. See in CA, we have everything -- but it's not all good.

One thing I did find interesting though, is that apparently I possess a "TV Voice" to Rhode Islanders. I don't have any trace of an accent, and my dialect isn't plagued with "likes" "dudes" and "umms" - so it was funny to hear that I have an accent.

Thank you to the few people in my original thread here that contributed worthwhile info. To the others that were apparently offended with me asking legitimate questions about the Gay Scene in RI (which by the way is so mellow compared to Hollywood, and SD it's hilarious) and spouting off bad information left and right -- you guys are doing a huge disservice to your state.
Glad you enjoyed it so much here, and welcome to Rhody!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:29 PM

4,408 posts, read 3,198,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dexter Ward View Post
</p>A TV voice is actually the lack of a noticeable accent, not an accent. Glad you enjoyed your stay here and found a place to stay!

Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,911,147 times
Most out of staters who end up relocating here like the area a lot- it's often only the natives (and those who USED TO live here) who contribute to a prevalence of negativity.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:32 PM

5,225 posts, read 6,150,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Most out of staters who end up relocating here like the area a lot- it's often only the natives (and those who USED TO live here) who contribute to a prevalence of negativity.
Not all of us ex-Rhode Islanders.....since my daughters were born we continue our visits back with greater frequency now............while it's not the same state we left in the early 80's it is still in our hearts

Old 10-31-2013, 07:55 PM

157 posts, read 306,295 times
While it's nice that you had a good visit, there's a difference between living there and visiting. I visited San Francisco for a decade before moving there, and once I lived there I saw all the warts. You really need to be there a while and fully integrated to see what a region is like.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:16 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Not all of us ex-Rhode Islanders.....since my daughters were born we continue our visits back with greater frequency now............while it's not the same state we left in the early 80's it is still in our hearts
I agree, it's not the same state as it was in the early 80's. It's much improved, especially Providence! The "good ole days" found Providence in sad shape. It was somewhat depressing 30 years ago as I remember. Glad to hear it still hold a place in your hearts.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,911,147 times
Providence is actually on the cusp of changing a lot more. As the newly opened land from the 195 relo project gets built, you will see a lot more change. Providence Preservation Society is sponsoring an upcoming public talk by Adrian Benepe on the building of park areas into the city- check their website for date and time. It will be in the Industrial Bank Bldg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: