Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:48 AM

5,126 posts, read 6,123,485 times

Advertisements

Anyone who moves to the state or has a love hate relationship with it is a Rhode Islander.....but the real natives in my book (my opinion and tonque & Cheek) are those of who can easily relate to Eclipse Syrup, Salty Brine and Salty's Shack, time to turn so you won't burn on WPRO in the summer, Rocky Point and the salt water pool, instant jealousy for those kids who lived in Foster Glouster during any amount of snowfall, Aunt Carries and George's, the big bug on I-95 along with the chrome bumper horse who sat on a building just before the big bug, quahogs and Del's.......and I could go on all day

The list is endless......and with the small uniqueness of the state those that have been here over the years can share all the quirkiness. No matter where I am traveling in the US and I run into fellow Rhode Islanders it is so cool to have shared in some of the neat things RI has been part of.

Again RI is a great place to live, lots of cultural and ethnic diversity that you do not see much of in Florida.

Good luck and welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 12:11 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Spoiler
Anyone who moves to the state
Spoiler

or has a love hate relationship with it is a Rhode Islander.....but the real natives in my book (my opinion and tonque & Cheek) are those of who can easily relate to Eclipse Syrup,

Again RI is a great place to live, lots of cultural and ethnic diversity that you do not see much of in Florida.

Sure do remember. My mother's Great Uncle developed and owned Eclipse Syrup until it was sold to Autocrat.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 11-24-2013 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 11-24-2013, 01:42 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
that Eclipse across from Warwick Zayre is missed.
Autocrat is fine but Eclipse was my preference, those
glass bottles were the best.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
that Eclipse across from Warwick Zayre is missed.
Autocrat is fine but Eclipse was my preference, those
glass bottles were the best.
and that was right next to................................................ ...the Cranston Drive In

Old 11-24-2013, 07:17 PM

23,566 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Coffee Syrup: Morning Glory Coffee Syrup: All Natural Gourmet Coffee Syrup Sales

Anyone try this stuff? I wonder if it at all resembles the old Eclipse?

Used to like Autocrat but it's just a bit too sweet for me these days, I now prefer Coffee Time.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:52 AM

4,375 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Anyone who moves to the state or has a love hate relationship with it is a Rhode Islander.....but the real natives in my book (my opinion and tonque & Cheek) are those of who can easily relate to Eclipse Syrup, Salty Brine and Salty's Shack, time to turn so you won't burn on WPRO in the summer, Rocky Point and the salt water pool, instant jealousy for those kids who lived in Foster Glouster during any amount of snowfall, Aunt Carries and George's, the big bug on I-95 along with the chrome bumper horse who sat on a building just before the big bug, quahogs and Del's.......and I could go on all day

In other words....a real Rhode Islander is old? But not as old a blue bugs or quahogs!

I actually remember most of those things - I know about Salty's shack second hand. But surely there most be some quirks that are post 1980s? I wonder what younger generations would point to as quintessentially RI?

And how come all our "things" usually revolve around food??!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:56 AM

4,375 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Coffee Syrup: Morning Glory Coffee Syrup: All Natural Gourmet Coffee Syrup Sales

Anyone try this stuff? I wonder if it at all resembles the old Eclipse?

Used to like Autocrat but it's just a bit too sweet for me these days, I now prefer Coffee Time.
Being from Kent County, I grew up on Eclipse and the northern RI Autocrat never really won my affection. Dave's (the coffee roaster) makes a good coffee syrup, but it's also pricey.

Coffee Syrup | Dave's Coffee

Old 11-25-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
In other words....a real Rhode Islander is old? But not as old a blue bugs or quahogs!

I actually remember most of those things - I know about Salty's shack second hand. But surely there most be some quirks that are post 1980s? I wonder what younger generations would point to as quintessentially RI?

Good point.....I left RI in the early 80's and the economy and manufacturing was still rocking and rolling. My wife would fly back for the holidays but until our girls were born we kept away. The twins spend their summers with family in RI and this will be the first Christmas they will miss in RI.

RI has been through a lot of changes since I left, but we still have lots of friends and family still in RI doing well.

Your right though I guess the food is a big part I miss, actually the variety. We had so many night clubs with live entertainment back in the early eighties and after a long night it was either the New York System for Gaggers (with celery salt) or a drive downtown to Haven Brothers for a greasy burger and watch all the cars race around Kennedy Plaza. The good old days

PS. My buddy who lives down here also grew up in RI married a real local girl down here and his brother had sent him down a small bottle of Autocrat Syrup years back, a treat to keep on the shelf for every now and then....his wife tried the syrup and finished that whole bottle while he was at work one day....she claims she had never had anything that good before. He never got a taste out of that bottle.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
We got a care package from friends after we moved out of RI to Nevada. My wife lived for 35 years within a 1 mile radius of where she was born in Kent County. I only lived there for 12 years, so I'm not "from there" But our care package was Autocrat coffee syrup, Del's lemonade mix, clamcake batter (not sure if it was Iggy's or not), and Benny's T-shirts. I'm not a coffee milk fan, as that seems to have been before my time, but my wife tried the Autocrat for the first time (she was an Eclipse girl, too) and said it was "alright".

Old 11-25-2013, 08:22 AM

23,566 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:

Rice rockets, Jersey Shore, "No speaka English"? Sorry Sandsonik, but it's kind of hard to keep this topic positive without dwelling in the past a bit (if you know what I mean).

Quote:

Strong Italian/Portuguese influence?

Is there any restaurant that makes "real" johnnycakes? I was never able to master it at home.

Last edited by massnative71; 11-25-2013 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island