Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times

Advertisements

I called and spoke with the Archivist. He said the doors were not available to the public "for security reasons" and had been closed "for several years." I questioned that logic but got nowhere. He said the doors are occasionally opened for ceremonial affairs. What a lame excuse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:42 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I called and spoke with the Archivist. He said the doors were not available to the public "for security reasons" and had been closed "for several years." I questioned that logic but got nowhere. He said the doors are occasionally opened for ceremonial affairs. What a lame excuse...
I think that there was a major review of the access to public buildings after a rash of shootings some years ago in which receptionists etc were especially vulnerable. I worked in a public building at the time and the access to the building was reviewed and altered "for security reasons". I don't think it is a "lame excuse"; it was a reaction to an all-to-real reality of modern times. The shooting at the Newtown School is an example of why access is a sensitive issue.

Of course the public has to be able to access public buildings.....but employee safety is also a paramount issue.....especially government buildings which are easy targets for kooks, cranks and neer-do-wells.....with guns!

Last edited by elston; 12-02-2013 at 10:55 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 11:29 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
In the past 10 or 12 years, security has been ramped up all over. Hell, we have a Homeland Security checkpoint now at the Hoover Dam access road, and I went to drop some friends off at the Venetian last week and there was a security checkpoint there, too.

I think Federal and State buildings should all have them. It adds jobs, and (hopefully) keeps the loonies out. Although I don't know why a side door offers better security than a front door.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:43 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Oh for heaven's sake. A handicapped entrance can be separate and as I recall there is a wooden ramp at one of the other entrances. I'm sure it was simply so our fat cat politicians could safely make it up the steps without- as we say here in Li'l Rhody- "takin' a hot attack".
BECAUSE THEN THEY WOULD HAVE TO PAY TO KEEP TWO SEPERATE ENTRANCES OPEN (security/maintenance for both)! The city is BROKE (b-r-o-k-e), they can't even fill potholes! What is so hard for you folk to understand about that?

Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
^ First it was because the stairs aren't handicapped-accessible. Now this. Make you your, you know, "mind." Uh, yeah. That MUST be the reason.

Before you know it, people will be lashing out about there being no trollies running people up and down the steps.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:33 PM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
BECAUSE THEN THEY WOULD HAVE TO PAY TO KEEP TWO SEPERATE ENTRANCES OPEN (security/maintenance for both)! The city is BROKE (b-r-o-k-e), they can't even fill potholes! What is so hard for you folk to understand about that?
I doubt security has anything to do with the door closure since there is no security checkpoint when you walk in any of the current entrances. Coming in or going out. I was just there a few days ago. And being broke has nothing to do with letting the public in the front door.

Providence Public Library did the same thing a few years ago. They closed the main entrance due to about 35-40 steps. People complained since that was the grand entrance- they've since reopened it.

Last edited by Hollytree; 12-02-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I doubt security has anything to do with the door closure since there is no security checkpoint when you walk in any of the current entrances. Coming in or going out. I was just there a few days ago. And being broke has nothing to do with letting the public in the front door.

Providence Public Library did the same thing a few years ago. They closed the main entrance due to about 35-40 steps. People complained since that was the grand entrance- they've since reopened it.
Just because there is no "security checkpoint" does not mean "security" is not an issue that has to be monitored at all entrances to the building. Every door open to the public is a liability for the city. You cannot compare something like a library (while a key facility) to the city hall.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:57 PM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
I would and just did. You don't seem to get the reality of the situation, probably because you don't go into Providence City Hall. I don't even know if you live here.
PPL has many items to lose and has electronic checkpoints and security.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I would and just did. You don't seem to get the reality of the situation, probably because you don't go into Providence City Hall. I don't even know if you live here.
PPL has many items to lose and has electronic checkpoints and security.
REALITY of the situation, really? I can't believe what this has come to. Rather than focusing on REAL problems facing the city (like functionally illiterate youth graduating from city schools, streets where you'd swear you were driving on the moon, street gangs, murders, illegitimate kids running around unsupervised, exorbitant property taxes on homes and vehicles...), people are on here whining about how they can't use the front steps at city hall. Waaaaah waaaaaah...!

Don't like it, contact your councilman and see if they can revise the security plan in a way that doesn't require any more funds (which you'll likely be told is impossible).

Old 12-02-2013, 03:54 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
see... Providence really ISN'T just like on the tv show...

that famous tv show "Providence". where everything was puppy dogs
and friendly angels.

Unlike "Underdog" which I rather liked and was fully filmed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island