Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
That's disappointing. I read the East Side Monthly for really local news and the Providence Phoenix but what about larger stories? We certainly can't rely on the "local news" TV stations for local news. All they cover is cooking and fires. And sometimes a cooking fire- tee hee hee.
I also read the East Side Monthly. There's are a couple of local blogs are are quite good, like GoLocalProv and RI Future.

Quote:
I think one danger is that a paper like the ProJo would be bought by a extremely politically slanted billionaire and used exclusively for propaganda purposes withe zero sense of objectivity.
Which is why I cancelled my subscription to The Wall Street Journal, once that fascist Murdoch bought it. Hope you're wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Speaking of RIfuture: an interesting article by Tom Sgouras...

Turning the ProJo into an employee-owned co-op

Old 12-08-2013, 01:39 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I wonder if the NYT would consider becoming a regional paper. They could start having New England reporters and cover the New England region in various site specific editions. This is what the old ProJo used to do. It covered the state and parts of MA with regional editions.
They already own the Boston Globe. That would be a good vehicle for such an undertaking.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:09 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Boston Red Sox owner John Henry has purchased the Boston Globe from the New York Times Company. We'll have to see what he does with it. He'll HAVE to cover Pawtucket at least

Old 12-08-2013, 05:07 PM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times
They made a fatal mistake when they closed all the local bureaus and became a much thinner paper of AP stories - which they charged a lot more for. it's been a couple of decades since they've done any memorable investigative reporting, or much of anything in depth. All Belo cared about was cutting costs and glomming onto wire stories for content.

I always thought the move away from local news was nuts, because there are lots of places to get national news and sports, for free and in more depth. But only your local paper can tell you what your neighbor got arrested for last night and people pay to know that. Luckily some RI communities still have good local papers to let them know what their town council and school committee is up to. But there are those that don't, and it was a great loss. The internet really didn't step up to the challenge until recently with the Patch.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
^ Belo is a Southern company. Belo is a right wing outfit; hardly a good fit with liberal Rhode Island. I have never trusted Southern people or their appendages and affiliates. I base my opinion on experience, not anecdote. Truly, once West of the East River, it's a barren landscape filled with duplicitous, boring, cultureless, unfashionable creatures. Save for Chicago, the only relevant, vibrant and dynamic part of America is, and always has been, the Northeast. Just saying, that's all.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 12-08-2013 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
The Metcalfs knew to sell when the gettin' was good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island