Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 01:38 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Vieques is very inexpensive. 2 bdrm houses in the 1200sqft range are around $100K. It is unlike St. John in the fact that there is very little tourism. The island is pretty run-down, and the Navy leaving didn't help the economy much. Some neighborhoods look like third world countries and the island overall is very poor. But I know every nook and cranny of the place and there are some amazing sights to see. It has one of the few bioluminescent bays in the world, and there are miles of deserted beaches. My kind of paradise. Away from people No cruise ships, no major airport, just a few thousand people on a 21 x 5 mile island.
Gee, sounds like my kind of place.

Me, I'd choose Barcelona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 01:53 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
So far, mostly the tropics- or at least warmer !!

Old 12-09-2013, 02:57 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Gee, sounds like my kind of place.

Me, I'd choose Barcelona.
You would go out of your mind.. I know you like it urban. The tallest building was 3 stories when I was there, only because they added a couple levels above a bar. Now, with the resort, that has changed, but other than that, it's still the good ol' desolate island I remember from 20 years ago. Fortunately for the rest of the island, people who frequent the W resort don't venture beyond the gates.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
So far, mostly the tropics- or at least warmer !!
That's why I moved to the Mojave.. of course last night's low in the 20s and today's high in the 40s makes me yearn for even warmer climates

Old 12-09-2013, 03:10 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
You would go out of your mind.. I know you like it urban. The tallest building was 3 stories when I was there, only because they added a couple levels above a bar. Now, with the resort, that has changed, but other than that, it's still the good ol' desolate island I remember from 20 years ago. Fortunately for the rest of the island, people who frequent the W resort don't venture beyond the gates.
Sounds charming. It reminds me of a trip I took in the middle of the winter to Grand Forks, North Dakota, to give a two-day presentation to UND on aviation grants for universities. Checked in to the hotel (a Holiday Inn, dontchaknow).

I arrived on a Sunday mid-day from glorious Lincoln, Nebraska. I asked the clerk, "Um, are there any gay bars?" "No."

"Um, are there any museums?" "No."

"Is there a downtown?" "No."

"HOW DO YOU PEOPLE LIVE HERE????" "Oh, WE LOVE IT!"

(The only redeeming aspect was that the student guide assigned to me was drop dead gorgeous!)

So, Grand Forks isn't on my list of places to relocate. But at least they had a Denny's nearby that served Chicken Fried Steak.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:14 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If you could no longer live in RI (and presumably could support yourself elsewhere) to what state (or country for that matter) would you move?
Seekonk.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:24 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Chesterfield, Co, VA.

THRIVING ECONOMY, great schools, lower cost housing, MUCH NEWER housing stock, property tax rates..... less than $1.00 per $1000!!!!!

Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 PM

5,199 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Quote:
That's why I moved to the Mojave.. of course last night's low in the 20s and today's high in the 40s makes me yearn for even warmer climates
Be sure to take a ride up to Mt. Charleston some weekend when you get a chance to see the snow...............even nicer in the summer with cooler temps.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Be sure to take a ride up to Mt. Charleston some weekend when you get a chance to see the snow...............even nicer in the summer with cooler temps.
We go up there every couple of weeks.. well, not know, as you need chains over 6,000 feet. We can see the snow from down here in the valley, and that's just the way we like it!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 PM

4,391 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Seekonk.
Are you from Seekonk? What is it with the constant homeless panhandling on Mink Street? I work in East Providence and sometimes go to Seekonk for lunch and there's ALWAYS an (allegedly) homeless person with a sign on Mink Street, and then at least one more on the Rte 6 end of the street. It seems like such an odd and dangerous place to panhandle. I can't figure out why they'd be there, there doesn't seem to be any place to go for shelter around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island