Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,020 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
First I want to thank you for reading my question and thank you in advance for any help you might offer...
A little of my background, my father and several generations before him are from Providence and I lived on Mt. Pleasant Ave. up until the days after 9/11/01.
I no longer have family (that I know of) in Rhode Island but I am looking to move back, of all the cities I have lived, Providence and the surrounding areas were my favorite. I love the people, the food, the attitude and the overall feeling of Rhode Island.
I am currently living in Florida and while the weather is amazing, the people are "too nice" (native New Englanders will know what I mean), it doesn't have the same feeling of northeastern cities and it's way too far from family.
I was pretty seriously injured in the Army and while I have fought myself out of a wheelchair and can mostly walk on my own, I am still somewhat limited so my needs since leaving Providence have somewhat changed.
I am looking to rent an apartment in a nice/safe area, with some amenities (coffee, bar, etc.) within walking distance and where I can walk my dog safely. I am single and in my late 30's with no children so an area with single women (especially ones that find disabled Vets to be a catch! Haha) would be a plus. I am retired from the Army now and my "job" is continuing to rehab myself as I continue to heal so I do not need to look for a place based on an employer and I'd like to pay $1,100 a month or less.
I can't wait to move back and have a NY Systems hotdog, Tommy's pizza and a Sons of Italy steak sandwich again. Let's face it, Rhode Island has the best food! Not to mention amazing people, I have heard people complain about the gruff exterior of her residents but those people don't realize that there is a heart of gold under there.
Hopefully I'm not asking too many questions here and I really do appreciate anyone that can point me in the right direction. I should also mention that the East Side isn't really my kind of place...
Thanks a lot, take care and hopefully I'll be having a pint at Patrick's Bar before too long (my lease in Florida is up on June 1st).

Last edited by Sgt906; 12-16-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 01:51 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,964,195 times
Will you have a car? What breed of dog do you have?

Within the city, the Eastside and parts of downtown are the safest.... with most things in walking distance.
And you'd stand a better chance of the sidewalks and streets being cleared of snow and ice. My neighborhood on the border of N. Prov is a mess and always is in winter.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:59 PM

9,260 posts, read 14,837,470 times
Federal Hill sounds like it might suit you.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,020 times
Thanks for the quick responses.
I do have a car and am also open to areas outside of Providence though I don't know much about Warwick/West Warwick for example. My dog is a super cool boxer/lab mix and has never met a person or dog she didn't love. She is also my service dog and is a huge help.
Has Federal Hill started to get better? When I was there, it seemed to be getting a lot of section 8 renters as more of its past residents were moving on.
Thanks again.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,964,195 times
Lack of parking in Federal Hill.........and rentals are.. well...........

Edgewood section of Cranston is nice.

Then I was thinking.........what about Aquidneck Island? You'd have access to NETC Newport.
Your car insurance would be less. So would your car taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island