Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:45 AM

8,056 posts, read 4,684,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The real estate sites keep pinging me on the Blackstone division of Providence. The houses look cute.

Without seeing any of these places in person, I'm noticing a trend in all of these RI towns of much pride of ownership and more unique houses and interiors with personality than in Massachusetts, unique in a good sense. More variation on styles, not just square boxes and mcMansions, more mid level homes where owners have used the interior spaces cleverly. People seem to enjoy their homes. Also proportionality larger kitchens. Or maybe it's the RISD influence?
As well you should like the Blackstone neighborhood of the East Side. It is among the most expensive in Rhode Island with houses generally selling for from $500,000 - $2,000,000. Almost all have been architecturally designed. Not so sure RISD had much to do with it, but the school's sensibilities can be felt across College Hill and the rest of the East Side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 01:13 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
As well you should like the Blackstone neighborhood of the East Side. It is among the most expensive in Rhode Island with houses generally selling for from $500,000 - $2,000,000. Almost all have been architecturally designed. Not so sure RISD had much to do with it, but the school's sensibilities can be felt across College Hill and the rest of the East Side.
Well, I am bookmarking Blackstone homes for below $400,000. Good news for me if I get the lowest priced home in the most expensive neighborhood.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Just pulled up some internet images on these, wow and wow. Looks like I have some visiting to do.
Ah, but keep in mind, those areas, prices can creep up to MA levels

Old 01-11-2014, 02:12 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Actually, there are 39 cities and towns in RI. Within those are villages. Only Connecticut and RI organize this way as opposed to county primacy.

Here are very brief descriptions of the 39 cities and towns ranked according to something ???- the site does not specify the criteria- but Central Falls is #39 if that hints at anything. Hopkinton is # 12 (or thereabouts- which I thought very odd)

GoLocalProv | News | Rhode Island’s Best Communities 2013: #39 to #1

As far as the Blackstone neighborhood goes, the few houses under 400k will be very modest on small lots and will not be on very good streets. There are no bargains here- even the higher priced houses will have kitchens and bathrooms that need renovating. Most of the homes here were built in the 1920s through the 1930s with a smattering of developments from the 40's and 50s. These are anchored by the old farmhouses from colonial and slightly later times which gave up their land for development (like the 1731 farmhouse on Cole Farm Ct.). The only new houses will be a scattering here and there in the 800k range. It's a great neighborhood- don't get me wrong and don't be discouraged- but be prepared to pay the price and do the work required on the house- and then pay the taxes. A nice place here can easily cost you 8-10k a year in taxes and go up from there.

You could, of course, go the condo route (shudder).

I've lived in the Blackstone area for many years and know the area house by house, street by street. Personally, I would not move from here because of the fabulous amenities and general convenience to the city without the down side of being too near the colleges. Also check the Providence Plan website on line for border designations (make sure it's actually in Blackstone!) and neighborhood demographics.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Well, I am bookmarking Blackstone homes for below $400,000. Good news for me if I get the lowest priced home in the most expensive neighborhood.
Smart thinking! In the last year, a foreclosure house needing work sold in Blackstone on beautiful Grotto Avenue for $390,000. And even more recently another (needing less work) sold on the same block for under $430,000. Most buyers considering the Blackstone neighborhood want "done." If your willing to "do" you may find what you want. But, you should be prepared to do work or accept "dated" interiors circa 1965-1990. Best of Luck!

Old 01-11-2014, 02:41 PM

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's scoop and I do apologize but I know that the houses you mention are situated on a ten foot drop in elevation from the street behind which has resulted in major flooding of basements on that street. The rear gardens are built against retaining walls- something Californians will be familiar with. The houses themselves are the worst examples of cheap 50s ranches- I've been in them. You really have to be very careful in home buying!!! Grotto is a great street and I know of a couple of properties that have been completely rebuilt to higher standards. The street rises in elevation as one heads west.

However, if you do find a real bargain- be sure to let me know first- I'll buy it!! chuckle chuckle

Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 PM

Always: Location - Location. The Grotto bargains I mention do set lower with high retainers behind. Perhaps an expensive fix. However, there is nothing but park like woodland across the street: Rare in Providence and Priceless!

Old 01-11-2014, 03:26 PM

Yes, many people do not realize how quiet and peaceful certain neighborhoods in cities can be- they always think suburbs!!

Old 01-11-2014, 05:23 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Actually, there are 39 cities and towns in RI. Within those are villages. Only Connecticut and RI organize this way as opposed to county primacy.
Actually, that would be every state in NE.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Actually, that would be every state in NE.
No, it would not.

New England town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island