Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:35 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,580,343 times

Advertisements

How is Providence RI for an over 40 single woman? Best neighborhoods away from student parties? I noticed the housing prices are much lower there than many Massachusetts towns. I love good wifi cafés, gastropubs and farmers markets, also small live music venues (rock and jazz) and ethnic restaurants, continuing education opportunities and arts, friendly neighborhoods with character and mix of ages. I prefer small cottages and bungalows over multi-families and apartment towers. I love the RI beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:31 PM

23,063 posts, read 18,197,535 times
Welcome to the RI Forum!

I know a woman of similar age/interests who has lived in Pawtuxet Village (Warwick/Cranston line) for over 10 years and loves it there.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Welcome to the RI Forum!

I know a woman of similar age/interests who has lived in Pawtuxet Village (Warwick/Cranston line) for over 10 years and loves it there.
Thanks Massnative71. I just searched this. It looks charming.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:20 PM

7,902 posts, read 4,558,356 times
I second Pawtucket Village! Cool and a very Authentic place.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:22 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,746,485 times
I would throw in Wickford Village, too, or even East Greenwich.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I would throw in Wickford Village, too, or even East Greenwich.
Just pulled up some internet images on these, wow and wow. Looks like I have some visiting to do.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,429,071 times
I don't mean it get into your personal life, but you mentioned you are female, single, and in your forties. Do you aspire to meet a potential beau, or beauess? If so, I'm not sure moving to a "Shady Pines" town is the best way to meet people. Circulate, Darling, circulate! Move to the East Side, or downtown, where there are plenty of people and lots to do. Meet interesting people and find yourself a community of friends. Get involved in the many cultural and social opportunities that only the East Side and downtown affords. Somehow, I just don''t think Wickford affords these opportunities, and I think it would be very difficult for a single person to integrate or socially break into a married sort of community.

There's a women in my brownstone who is in her late fifties, and when she broke up with her long-time lover, she ditched the splendor of Coventry for the city, and has made quite a good life for herself -- many friends, she dates, and she's really happy being around a diverse bunch of people, including college kids.

If you're not looking to integrate with a community of people, if you're not looking to meet a partner, then totally disregard my suggestion. In any event, best of luck!

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 12-28-2013 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I don't mean it get into your personal life, but you mentioned you are female, single, and in your forties. Do you aspire to meet a potential beau, or beauess? If so, I'm not sure moving to a "Shady Pines" town is the best way to meet people. Circulate, Darling, circulate! Move to the East Side, or downtown, where there are plenty of people and lots to do. Meet interesting people and find yourself a community of friends. Get involved in the many cultural and social opportunities that only the East Side and downtown affords. Somehow, I just don''t think Wickford affords these opportunities, and I think it would be very difficult for a single person to integrate or socially break into a married sort of community.

There's a women in my brownstone who is in her late fifties, and when she broke up with her long-time lover, she ditched the splendor of Coventry for the city, and has made quite a good life for herself -- many friends, she dates, and she's really happy being around a diverse bunch of people, including college kids.

If you're not looking to integrate with a community of people, if you're not looking to meet a partner, then totally disregard my suggestion. In any event, best of luck!

Yes AlfieBoy would love to make friends and have a beau if there is one for me. Are there names for particular neighborhood or townhouse complexes you would especially recommend?

Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,429,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Yes AlfieBoy would love to make friends and have a beau if there is one for me. Are there names for particular neighborhood or townhouse complexes you would especially recommend?
There's a beau for you. Just make yourself available. Good old Alfieboy knows about these things. Positioning yourself geographically and being open to new experiences are key.

Well, there aren't really "complexes" on the East Side of Providence. It's the oldest part of historic Providence, so it's mostly these wonderful old single and multifamily houses. It's pretty urban, which may or may not be to your taste.

I suggest perusing Craigslist to get a sense of the living opportunities.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2013, 11:48 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,027,229 times
Ah yes, the east side, home of the partying Brown U crowd and the artsy RISD folks. Although there are areas you can avoid the late night crowds, the east side is not where I would settle. If it's the west shore beaches that draw you, perhaps going even a bit south of Wickford to Narragansett might be a better move. There are many professionals who work in Providence but live on the west bay so you might meet someone that way but there's no reason you can't go to clubs and events in Providence. It isn't so far away that you have to pack an overnight bag and a picnic lunch, yanno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island